xorg

James Linder
I decided to use org rather than XQuartz

But a check shows

ssh sandypit

[sandypit] /home/jam [1001]% xeyes
Error: Can't open display:

I have enabled auth
ssh_config

Host *
    SendEnv LANG LC_*
    XAuthLocation /opt/X11/bin/xauth

Any hints please
James

Re: xorg

Tong Sun
Was everything OK before you swap XQuartz with xorg?

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 6:48 PM James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I decided to use org rather than XQuartz
>
> But a check shows
>
> ssh sandypit
>
> [sandypit] /home/jam [1001]% xeyes
> Error: Can't open display:
>
> I have enabled auth
> ssh_config
> …
> Host *
>     SendEnv LANG LC_*
>     XAuthLocation /opt/X11/bin/xauth
>
> Any hints please
> James

Re: xorg

Tong Sun
On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 9:09 PM James Linder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 15 Feb 2021, at 9:41 am, Tong Sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Was everything OK before you swap XQuartz with xorg?
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 6:48 PM James <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I decided to use org rather than XQuartz
> >>
> >> But a check shows
> >>
> >> ssh sandypit
> >>
> >> [sandypit] /home/jam [1001]% xeyes
> >> Error: Can't open display:
> >>
> >> I have enabled auth
> >> ssh_config
> >> …
> >> Host *
> >>    SendEnv LANG LC_*
> >>    XAuthLocation /opt/X11/bin/xauth
> >>
> >> Any hints please
> >> James
>
> It is a long story:
>
> Long ago with this macbook and catelina and XQuarts everything worked
>
> After trying to build mythtv, which uses lots of macports, chaos reigned
>    multiple “MacOS - Data” partitions, some with a utf char delimiter, some with “1”, some with “2”
>
> I reinstalled catilina after reading “how to get rid of multiple Dsta partitions. (DiskUtil on install)
> now /Applications is mostly bare, ~Application does not exist and a new xorg-server install does not work, and to compound matters I have even more Data partitions.

I thought so.

Just FYI, I have no problem using any X apps from macports, even via
ssh. So get your environment straight first. This is not a macports
problem (and this might not be the best place to solve all of your
remaining problems).

Re: xorg

On Feb 14, 2021, at 17:48, James wrote:

> I decided to use org rather than XQuartz

I presume you mean: you now use the MacPorts xorg ports, such as xorg-server, rather than XQuartz. This should be fine and there shouldn't be an appreciable difference between the two, other than that the MacPorts xorg ports are currently more up to date than the XQuartz distribution. Both XQuartz and the MacPorts xorg ports were created by the same person so they are very similar in how they work.

> But a check shows
>
> ssh sandypit
>
> [sandypit] /home/jam [1001]% xeyes
> Error: Can't open display:
>
> I have enabled auth
> ssh_config
> …
> Host *
>    SendEnv LANG LC_*
>    XAuthLocation /opt/X11/bin/xauth

Although I'm unfamiliar with configuring ssh for X11 access, I can tell you that /opt/X11 is where XQuartz would install things. MacPorts installs in /opt/local usually. Try changing this /opt/X11 to /opt/local.