xfig crashes

Bugzilla from jjstickel@vcn.com
I installed xfig-3.2.5_1 via macports and it crashes when I click on a
menu button (File,Edit,View,...).  Pulling up a dialog box by a keyboard
sequence (e.g. M-o to open) seems to work OK, though.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Re: xfig crashes

Stefan Bruda
Hi,

Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> I installed xfig-3.2.5_1 via macports and it crashes when I click on a
> menu button (File,Edit,View,...).  Pulling up a dialog box by a keyboard
> sequence (e.g. M-o to open) seems to work OK, though.  Any suggestions?

Searching the list is always useful, as this has just been discussed, see
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-July/004596.html
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-July/004620.html

Stefan

Re: xfig crashes

Stefan Bruda wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>> I installed xfig-3.2.5_1 via macports and it crashes when I click on a
>> menu button (File,Edit,View,...).  Pulling up a dialog box by a keyboard
>> sequence (e.g. M-o to open) seems to work OK, though.  Any suggestions?
>
> Searching the list is always useful, as this has just been discussed, see
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-July/004596.html
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-July/004620.html
>
> Stefan

Fair enough.  Google searching didn't show anything, but next time I'll
search the macports bugs and the mailing list.  Is the mailing list
searchable somewhere, or do I need to look through the archives?

I have been using gentoo for a long time, and I am stilling getting used
to macports.  In gentoo, if something like this popped up, the "port"
would be removed in favor of an earlier version that worked; that is
until the port was fixed.  Is there an earlier version readily
available?  I'm guessing not by the thread referred to above.  In that
case, what is a typical time frame for a bug like this to be fixed?

Thanks,
Jonathan

P.S.  I expect I'll be helping out with ports development before too
long, and so my questions should not be construed as complaints.  Just
trying to learn!

Re: xfig crashes

Stefan Bruda
Hi,

Jonathan Stickel wrote:

>> Searching the list is always useful, as this has just been discussed,
>> see
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-July/004596.html
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-July/004620.html
>
> Fair enough.  Google searching didn't show anything, but next time I'll
> search the macports bugs and the mailing list.  Is the mailing list
> searchable somewhere, or do I need to look through the archives?

Umm, it actually sounded harsher than I meant, sorry.  As for searching, I
do so googling for something like 'xfig site:lists.macosforge.org' (as I
am not aware of any other way of doing it).

> I have been using gentoo for a long time, and I am stilling getting used
> to macports.  In gentoo, if something like this popped up, the "port"
> would be removed in favor of an earlier version that worked; that is
> until the port was fixed.

I feel for you, I come from Gentoo as well and I miss portage a lot on
this machine of mine.

> Is there an earlier version readily
> available?  I'm guessing not by the thread referred to above.  In that
> case, what is a typical time frame for a bug like this to be fixed?

There are no multiple versions for a port, unless a previous version has
been installed (case in which it remains installed until you explicitly
uninstall it).  The xfig issue is a long standing one to boot.  I can only
guess that people do not use xfig (wich is a pitty if you ask me).

Stefan

Re: xfig crashes

Henri Servomaa
On 31.7.2007, at 19:52, Stefan Bruda wrote:

> There are no multiple versions for a port, unless a previous
> version has
> been installed (case in which it remains installed until you
> explicitly
> uninstall it).  The xfig issue is a long standing one to boot.  I
> can only
> guess that people do not use xfig (wich is a pitty if you ask me).
>
> Stefan

Hi there,
As an xfig fan, I just worked around this by using the keyboard.
But even by recompiling, the menus don't work...
Perhaps I missed something.. I will recheck the Imakefile and
retry.

Cheers,

--
Henri

Re: xfig crashes

Jörg Frauendiener

> I installed xfig-3.2.5_1 via macports and it crashes when I click
> on a menu button (File,Edit,View,...).  Pulling up a dialog box by
> a keyboard sequence (e.g. M-o to open) seems to work OK, though.
> Any suggestions?

I just came across this thread and was wondering whether the issue
concerning Xaw3d has been resolved. Since I am having the same
problem as described above it would be nice if there was a clean
solution. I am aware of the workaround given in other threads.
Clearly, this cannot be considered a 'solution'?

Thanks,
Joerg

--
Jörg Frauendiener         | Tel.: +49-7071-2975922
Theoretische Astrophysik  | Fax:  +49-7071-29-5889

Re: xfig crashes

Stefan Bruda
Hi,

Jörg Frauendiener wrote:

>> I installed xfig-3.2.5_1 via macports and it crashes when I click
>> on a menu button (File,Edit,View,...).  Pulling up a dialog box by
>> a keyboard sequence (e.g. M-o to open) seems to work OK, though.
>> Any suggestions?
>
> I just came across this thread and was wondering whether the issue
> concerning Xaw3d has been resolved. Since I am having the same
> problem as described above it would be nice if there was a clean
> solution. I am aware of the workaround given in other threads.
> Clearly, this cannot be considered a 'solution'?

By clean solution do you mean the #define XAW3D1_5E thing?  I tried it
once and it did not work for me.  The only solution I found so far is not
to use the Xaw3D toolkit.  This works well; true, I loose some eye candy
but not much and xfig is an ugly (and useful) thing anyway--that's why I
like it in the first place.

Stefan

Re: xfig crashes

Jörg Frauendiener
Hi,

>>> I installed xfig-3.2.5_1 via macports and it crashes when I click
>>> on a menu button (File,Edit,View,...).  Pulling up a dialog box by
>>> a keyboard sequence (e.g. M-o to open) seems to work OK, though.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> I just came across this thread and was wondering whether the issue
>> concerning Xaw3d has been resolved. Since I am having the same
>> problem as described above it would be nice if there was a clean
>> solution. I am aware of the workaround given in other threads.
>> Clearly, this cannot be considered a 'solution'?
>
> By clean solution do you mean the #define XAW3D1_5E thing?  I tried it
> once and it did not work for me.  The only solution I found so far
> is not
> to use the Xaw3D toolkit.  This works well; true, I loose some eye
> candy
> but not much and xfig is an ugly (and useful) thing anyway--that's
> why I
> like it in the first place.

I absolutely agree. It is useful and I would not want to miss it.

By a clean solution I mean that you say "port install xfig" and then
it works. True, not using Xaw3d works (also for me) but this can not
really be consider a solution, can it? I understand that Xaw3d breaks
several ports. However, it is not maintained. Unfortunately.

Joerg