wxMaxima crashes under Big Sur 11.2.1

Murray Eisenberg-2
Without complaint, wxMaxima @20.04.0_0 installed (after maxima @5.43.2_12+xmaxima and gnuplot @5.4.1_2+aquaterm+luaterm+pangocairo+qt+wxwidgets+x11) under macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 using MacPorts 2.6.99 and Xcode CLT 12.4.

Although the command-line maxima works, if I try to open /Applications/MacPorts/wxMaxima.app, the app immediately crashes.

Perhaps this is related to https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61933

But exactly what log file should I provide? I examined the wxMaxima_2021002-13-xxxx.crash file in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports but find no “rootless” line there.
---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Re: wxMaxima crashes under Big Sur 11.2.1

On Feb 13, 2021, at 11:33, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> Without complaint, wxMaxima @20.04.0_0 installed (after maxima @5.43.2_12+xmaxima and gnuplot @5.4.1_2+aquaterm+luaterm+pangocairo+qt+wxwidgets+x11) under macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 using MacPorts 2.6.99 and Xcode CLT 12.4.
>
> Although the command-line maxima works, if I try to open /Applications/MacPorts/wxMaxima.app, the app immediately crashes.
>
> Perhaps this is related to https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61933.
>
> But exactly what log file should I provide? I examined the wxMaxima_2021002-13-xxxx.crash file in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports but find no “rootless” line there.

I'm not sure what "rootless8" mentioned in that ticket refers to. Maybe it is the name of the user's computer. Probably irrelevant.

If you want to provide your crash log, you can do that, but it sounds like we already figured out what the problem is.

Per the mailing list thread mentioned in that ticket, I think the problem is an install_name_tool bug in Xcode 12.2. I don't know if the problem remains in Xcode 12.4. If you did not build wxWidgets from source, you can try doing that and see if it fixes the problem. Let us know whether or not that fixed it. If 12.4 didn't fix the bug, then a workaround is given in the mailing list thread linked in that ticket.

On 14 Feb2021, at 2:12 AM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

(1) There is no port “wxWidgets”, only:

  wxWidgets-3.0
  wxWidgets-common
  wxWidgets_select

Which one(s) do I need to build from source?

(2) And what about gnuplot, which will break if I uninstall wxWidgets-3.0?

(3) Is the build-from-source command “port -s [portname]?

I’m not finding this documented at https://guide.macports.org.

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Re: wxMaxima crashes under Big Sur 11.2.1

Todd Doucet

[...]

I am just a MacPorts user, not a maintainer or anything, but I can tell you what I recently learned about building from source.  I also looked in the Guide and found nothing, but "man ports" mentioned source mode (among many, many, many other things).

Here is something to be aware of, though.  If you simply do

  port -s install whatever

then MacPorts wants to build all the prerequisites from source too, unless it happens to be installed already.  This is usually not what you want, because some of those prerequisites take a long time to build, and really, why do that instead of just the binary install for those?

What I eventually figured out was that I could first tell MacPorts to install the prerequisites, explicitly, and then after that do the source install of just what I am after.   The incantation I used for the former was

  port install depot:whatever

(Put sudo before the installs, of course.)

Hope this helps.

I’m not finding this documented at https://guide.macports.org.

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Re: wxMaxima crashes under Big Sur 11.2.1

Todd Doucet
Correction:

  port install depof:whatever

(This is a new machine and I have not yet turned off the obnoxious autospelling correction.

On 14 Feb2021, at 11:11 AM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I uninstalled wxWidgets-3.0, gnuplot, maxima, and wxMaxima. Then installed wxWidgets-3.0 from source (port -s install wxWidgets-3.0). Then installed (not from source, but normally) gnuplot, maxima, and wxMaxima.

Now I different problem: when I try to open wxMaxima.app, I get a pop-up error: locale ‘pa’ cannot be set.

If I dismiss that pop-up, then wxMaxima DOES open!

---

On Feb 14, 2021, at 10:11, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> On 14 Feb2021, at 2:12 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Feb 13, 2021, at 11:33, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps this is related to https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61933.

>> Per the mailing list thread mentioned in that ticket, I think the problem is an install_name_tool bug in Xcode 12.2. I don't know if the problem remains in Xcode 12.4. If you did not build wxWidgets from source, you can try doing that and see if it fixes the problem. Let us know whether or not that fixed it. If 12.4 didn't fix the bug, then a workaround is given in the mailing list thread linked in that ticket.
>
> (1) There is no port “wxWidgets”, only:
>
>   wxWidgets-3.0
>   wxWidgets-common
>   wxWidgets_select
>
> Which one(s) do I need to build from source?

Then I meant wxWidgets-3.0.

> (2) And what about gnuplot, which will break if I uninstall wxWidgets-3.0?

If you try to uninstall a port that other ports depend on, MacPorts won't let you do it. If you force it anyway with the -f flag, then yes, any ports that depend on that port will be broken until you reinstall that port.

You don't have to uninstall wxWidgets-3.0; you can just rebuild it from source.

> (3) Is the build-from-source command “port -s [portname]?
>
> I’m not finding this documented at https://guide.macports.org.

The -s flag means only allow building from source, not downloading binaries. -b on the other hand means only allow binaries, not building from source. These are documented in https://man.macports.org/port.1.html. The default behavior is to allow both, though you can change it with the buildfromsource setting in macports.conf. This is documented in https://man.macports.org/macports.conf.5.html.

To rebuild [a port that you already have installed] from source, use e.g. sudo port -ns upgrade --force wxWidgets-3.0.

-s means build from source. -n means this port only, not all of its dependencies. --force means "upgrade" anyway even though the port is already up to date.

On Feb 14, 2021, at 11:18, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> I uninstalled wxWidgets-3.0, gnuplot, maxima, and wxMaxima. Then installed wxWidgets-3.0 from source (port -s install wxWidgets-3.0). Then installed (not from source, but normally) gnuplot, maxima, and wxMaxima.
>
> Now I different problem: when I try to open wxMaxima.app, I get a pop-up error: locale ‘pa’ cannot be set.

That's new to me. I guess you should file a bug report.

> If I dismiss that pop-up, then wxMaxima DOES open!

That's good to hear. It suggests that Apple may have fixed the bug in Xcode 12.4. I should try it out on my own system. If they have fixed it, then I should update the macOS Big Sur buildbot worker to Xcode 12.4 and then should revbump wxWidgets-3.0 and any other ports that have been affected by this bug, though it may be difficult to figure out which ports were affected.