trying to install ATLAS

pagani laurent via macports-users
Hello,

I reinstalled gcc5, both gcc5 and 7 are active but the result is the same.
I desactivate gcc7 but Xcode gcc takes precedence upon Macports/gcc5 even when I deactivate/reactivate the later.

Thanks for any help,
Laurent

"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème" (devise Shadok)

Re: trying to install ATLAS

Craig Treleaven
> On Mar 15, 2018, at 8:29 AM, pagani laurent via macports-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I reinstalled gcc5, both gcc5 and 7 are active but the result is the same.
> I desactivate gcc7 but Xcode gcc takes precedence upon Macports/gcc5 even when I deactivate/reactivate the later.

I’m not familiar with ATLAS but I think you need to choose one of the variants in order to build it with another compiler:

$ port variants atlas
atlas has the variants:
   gcc49: build using macports-gcc-4.9
     * conflicts with gcc5 mpclang37 perf
   gcc5: build using macports-gcc-5
     * conflicts with gcc49 mpclang37 perf
   mpclang37: use mp-clang-3.7 and gfortran
     * conflicts with gcc49 gcc5 perf
   nofortran: Forgo use of fortran compiler
   universal: Build for multiple architectures

Perhaps try

sudo port install atlas +gcc5

Also, some packages can take a very long time to build.  Adding the verbose flag can give you more feedback as the build progresses:

sudo port -v install atlas +gcc5

Craig

Re: trying to install ATLAS

Joshua Kordani
This package will take a long time to build, although don't be surprised
if it fails on the first try.  I can never get it to work on the first
try with default settings.

On 3/15/18 9:45 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:

>> On Mar 15, 2018, at 8:29 AM, pagani laurent via macports-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I reinstalled gcc5, both gcc5 and 7 are active but the result is the same.
>> I desactivate gcc7 but Xcode gcc takes precedence upon Macports/gcc5 even when I deactivate/reactivate the later.
>>
> I’m not familiar with ATLAS but I think you need to choose one of the variants in order to build it with another compiler:
>
> $ port variants atlas
> atlas has the variants:
>     gcc49: build using macports-gcc-4.9
>       * conflicts with gcc5 mpclang37 perf
>     gcc5: build using macports-gcc-5
>       * conflicts with gcc49 mpclang37 perf
>     mpclang37: use mp-clang-3.7 and gfortran
>       * conflicts with gcc49 gcc5 perf
>     nofortran: Forgo use of fortran compiler
>     universal: Build for multiple architectures
>
> Perhaps try
>
> sudo port install atlas +gcc5
>
> Also, some packages can take a very long time to build.  Adding the verbose flag can give you more feedback as the build progresses:
>
> sudo port -v install atlas +gcc5
>
> Craig

Re: trying to install ATLAS

pagani laurent via macports-users
In fact, by using the +gcc5 as Craig suggested, I got the compiled libraries straight away without the building.
Perhaps it is not tuned exactly to my machine but for my purpose, it seems to be fast enough.

Laurent

On Mar 15, 2018, at 07:18, pagani laurent via macports-users wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Running Mac OS 10.12.6, I try to install ATLAS with macports but 1) it selects /usr/bin/clang as a C compiler (why not the /opt/local/bin/gcc one ?),

MacPorts intentionally builds ports with specific compilers. This reduces the likelihood that something will go wrong and that you will need to ask for support.

/opt/local/bin/gcc is for your own personal use outside of MacPorts--to compile your own software, for example. You can set it to point to any compiler you want, using `sudo port select gcc`. So MacPorts can't rely on that symlink pointing to any particular compiler. So MacPorts doesn't use it for compiling ports.

>  2) it selects gfortran7 which does not exist and 3) it hangs up on the building. After more than one hour, still there :

Atlas takes many hours to compile, even on fast Macs.

Re: trying to install ATLAS

Marius Schamschula-3
I have built atlas against gcc6, but have never bothered to build it against gcc7. For the reason: see https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52606

Using atlas is sub-optimal for macOS 10.11+, because of the way the OS kernel handles timing. Never mind, the new file system under High Sierra…

I no longer choose atlas variants for any ports.

On Mar 15, 2018, at 11:56 AM, pagani laurent via macports-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula