qt5-qtenginio is obsolete

Fielding, Eric J (329A)

I might have missed something in the last few months, but I didn’t find a mention of this.

I did a “port upgrade outdated” after a month or two, and I got this error message:

Error: qt5-qtenginio is obsolete; please uninstall it.

Error: Failed to configure qt5-qtenginio: obsolete port

I did as it suggested and uninstalled the port despite the dependency

sudo port uninstall qt5-qtenginio

Password:

Note: It is not recommended to uninstall/deactivate a port that has dependents as it breaks the dependents.

The following ports will break: qt5 @5.6.2_0

Continue? [y/N]: Y

Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.

--->  Deactivating qt5-qtenginio @5.6.2_0

--->  Cleaning qt5-qtenginio

--->  Uninstalling qt5-qtenginio @5.6.2_0

--->  Cleaning qt5-qtenginio

Then I re-installed qt5 to try to fix the dependencies:

sudo port install qt5

--->  Computing dependencies for qt5

--->  Cleaning qt5

--->  Updating database of binaries

--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors

--->  Found 49 broken files, matching files to ports

--->  Found 4 broken ports, determining rebuild order

You can always run 'port rev-upgrade' again to fix errors.

The following ports will be rebuilt:

py27-pyqt5 @5.8.1

webkit-gtk3 @2.4.11+video

webkit2-gtk @2.14.2+gtk2+x11

texlive-bin @2016+x11

Continue? [Y/n]: y

Is this the correct procedure? Seems to be working (although taking a while to compile webkit2-gtk).

Thanks,

                ++Eric

Re: qt5-qtenginio is obsolete

Ryan Schmidt-24

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 20:27, Fielding, Eric J (329A) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I might have missed something in the last few months, but I didn’t find a mention of this.
>
> I did a “port upgrade outdated” after a month or two, and I got this error message:
>
> Error: qt5-qtenginio is obsolete; please uninstall it.
> Error: Failed to configure qt5-qtenginio: obsolete port
>
> I did as it suggested and uninstalled the port despite the dependency
> sudo port uninstall qt5-qtenginio
> Password:
> Note: It is not recommended to uninstall/deactivate a port that has dependents as it breaks the dependents.
> The following ports will break: qt5 @5.6.2_0
> Continue? [y/N]: Y
> Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
> --->  Deactivating qt5-qtenginio @5.6.2_0
> --->  Cleaning qt5-qtenginio
> --->  Uninstalling qt5-qtenginio @5.6.2_0
> --->  Cleaning qt5-qtenginio
>
> Then I re-installed qt5 to try to fix the dependencies:
>
> sudo port install qt5
> --->  Computing dependencies for qt5
> --->  Cleaning qt5
> --->  Updating database of binaries
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
> --->  Found 49 broken files, matching files to ports
> --->  Found 4 broken ports, determining rebuild order
> You can always run 'port rev-upgrade' again to fix errors.
> The following ports will be rebuilt:
> py27-pyqt5 @5.8.1
> webkit-gtk3 @2.4.11+video
> webkit2-gtk @2.14.2+gtk2+x11
> texlive-bin @2016+x11
> Continue? [Y/n]: y
>
> Is this the correct procedure? Seems to be working (although taking a while to compile webkit2-gtk).

qt5-qtenginio is obsolete and should be uninstalled.

Your old version of qt5 still depended on it. If you had first upgraded qt5 to the latest version, 5.7.1, it would no longer have depended on it and you could have uninstalled it without issue.

Your transcript shows that when you told MacPorts to install qt5, it did nothing, which means qt5 was already installed at the latest version. Are you sure your ports are up to date? Have you run `sudo port selfupdate` lately? Do you have any local portfiles that override any of the official portfiles? What is the output of `port installed name:qt5`?

webkit2-gtk does take hours to build; that's normal enough.

You shouldn't have had to recompile anything, because nothing should have been broken. Some ports may be broken because you have an older version of qt5, and that problem would go away if you properly upgrade qt5.

Re: qt5-qtenginio is obsolete

Fielding, Eric J (329A)
Thanks for the help.

I did run “port selfupdate” before doing the “port upgrade”, but I think the last time I did the “port upgrade” it did not complete due to some error that I forgot. I didn’t have time to figure out what was wrong at that time, which was likely my mistake. Probably the ports were in some kind of inconsistent state.

Anyway, here is the present state for qt5:
> port installed name:qt5
  py27-pyqt5 @5.7.1_0
  py27-pyqt5 @5.8.1_0 (active)
  qt5 @5.6.2_0
  qt5 @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qt3d @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qt3d @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtbase @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtbase @5.7.1_0+openssl
  qt5-qtbase @5.7.1_1+openssl (active)
  qt5-qtcanvas3d @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtcanvas3d @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtconnectivity @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtconnectivity @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtdeclarative @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtdeclarative @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtgraphicaleffects @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtgraphicaleffects @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtimageformats @5.6.2_1
  qt5-qtimageformats @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtlocation @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtlocation @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtmacextras @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtmacextras @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtmultimedia @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtmultimedia @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtquickcontrols @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtquickcontrols @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtscript @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtscript @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtsensors @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtsensors @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtserialport @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtserialport @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtsvg @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtsvg @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qttools @5.6.2_1
  qt5-qttools @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qttranslations @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qttranslations @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtwebchannel @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtwebchannel @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtwebsockets @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtwebsockets @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-qtxmlpatterns @5.6.2_0
  qt5-qtxmlpatterns @5.7.1_0 (active)
  qt5-sqlite-plugin @5.6.2_0
  qt5-sqlite-plugin @5.7.1_0 (active)

++Eric

    > On Apr 17, 2017, at 20:27, Fielding, Eric J (329A) <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > I might have missed something in the last few months, but I didn’t find a mention of this.

    > Is this the correct procedure? Seems to be working (although taking a while to compile webkit2-gtk).

    qt5-qtenginio is obsolete and should be uninstalled.

    Your old version of qt5 still depended on it. If you had first upgraded qt5 to the latest version, 5.7.1, it would no longer have depended on it and you could have uninstalled it without issue.

    Your transcript shows that when you told MacPorts to install qt5, it did nothing, which means qt5 was already installed at the latest version. Are you sure your ports are up to date? Have you run `sudo port selfupdate` lately? Do you have any local portfiles that override any of the official portfiles? What is the output of `port installed name:qt5`?

    webkit2-gtk does take hours to build; that's normal enough.

    You shouldn't have had to recompile anything, because nothing should have been broken. Some ports may be broken because you have an older version of qt5, and that problem would go away if you properly upgrade qt5.

Re: qt5-qtenginio is obsolete

Ryan Schmidt-24
Well it looks good now. 5.7.1 is the latest, and it's what you have active, so hopefully things are fine now?

Yes, I ran “port selfupdate” and “port upgrade” again and the last ports after qt5 (including py27-pyqt5 @5.8.2_0 ) are now upgraded successfully, so the port system fixed whatever was wrong before. The scan for broken ports helps a lot for those of us who are not so careful with our maintenance.

I just did a similar “port selfupdate” and “port upgrade outdated” on my other Mac, and I got the same error message when I tried to uninstall qt5-qtenginio. This time, I did “port uninstall qt5 @5.6.2_0” first and then uninstalled qt5-qtenginio without any error. It seems that the warning about breaking ports is for all the installed ports, not just the active ones, which I did not realize before. I also did a “port reclaim” to remove all the outdated ports that might depend on the old qt5.

    Yes, I ran “port selfupdate” and “port upgrade” again and the last ports after qt5 (including py27-pyqt5 @5.8.2_0 ) are now upgraded successfully, so the port system fixed whatever was wrong before. The scan for broken ports helps a lot for those of us who are not so careful with our maintenance.

        Well it looks good now. 5.7.1 is the latest, and it's what you have active, so hopefully things are fine now?

        > On Apr 18, 2017, at 09:19, Fielding, Eric J (329A) <[hidden email]> wrote:
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > I did run “port selfupdate” before doing the “port upgrade”, but I think the last time I did the “port upgrade” it did not complete due to some error that I forgot. I didn’t have time to figure out what was wrong at that time, which was likely my mistake. Probably the ports were in some kind of inconsistent state.
        >
        > Anyway, here is the present state for qt5:
        >> port installed name:qt5
        > The following ports are currently installed:
        >  py27-pyqt5 @5.7.1_0
        >  py27-pyqt5 @5.8.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5 @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5 @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qt3d @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qt3d @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtbase @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtbase @5.7.1_0+openssl
        >  qt5-qtbase @5.7.1_1+openssl (active)
        >  qt5-qtcanvas3d @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtcanvas3d @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtconnectivity @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtconnectivity @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtdeclarative @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtdeclarative @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtgraphicaleffects @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtgraphicaleffects @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtimageformats @5.6.2_1
        >  qt5-qtimageformats @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtlocation @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtlocation @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtmacextras @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtmacextras @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtmultimedia @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtmultimedia @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtquickcontrols @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtquickcontrols @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtscript @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtscript @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtsensors @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtsensors @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtserialport @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtserialport @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtsvg @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtsvg @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qttools @5.6.2_1
        >  qt5-qttools @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qttranslations @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qttranslations @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtwebchannel @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtwebchannel @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtwebsockets @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtwebsockets @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-qtxmlpatterns @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-qtxmlpatterns @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >  qt5-sqlite-plugin @5.6.2_0
        >  qt5-sqlite-plugin @5.7.1_0 (active)
        >
        > ++Eric

Oh yes, that's true. I didn't think to mention that either.

> I also did a “port reclaim” to remove all the outdated ports that might depend on the old qt5.

Now that all the ports are upgraded on my second machine, I am getting a broken file warning, but it does not offer to fix it, even when I tried the “port rev-upgrade”:
% sudo port rev-upgrade
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  Found 1 broken file, matching files to ports
--->  Found 1 broken port:
     py27-pyqt5 @5.8.2
         /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyQt5/Enginio.so

Maybe this will be fixed the next time I upgrade outdated. The file name is suspiciously similar to the qt5-qtenginio port that was obsolete.

    > On Apr 18, 2017, at 11:23, Fielding, Eric J (329A) <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > I just did a similar “port selfupdate” and “port upgrade outdated” on my other Mac, and I got the same error message when I tried to uninstall qt5-qtenginio. This time, I did “port uninstall qt5 @5.6.2_0” first and then uninstalled qt5-qtenginio without any error. It seems that the warning about breaking ports is for all the installed ports, not just the active ones, which I did not realize before

    Oh yes, that's true. I didn't think to mention that either.

    > I also did a “port reclaim” to remove all the outdated ports that might depend on the old qt5.

py-pyqt5 was just updated to 5.8.2 today while qt5 was updated to 5.7.1 (which doesn't include qtenginio anymore) before that. So I would say this shouldn't have happened... unless you forced py27-pyqt5 to upgrade before qt5 was upgraded by using the -n flag?

> On Apr 18, 2017, at 11:31, Fielding, Eric J (329A) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Now that all the ports are upgraded on my second machine, I am getting a broken file warning, but it does not offer to fix it, even when I tried the “port rev-upgrade”:
> % sudo port rev-upgrade
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
> --->  Found 1 broken file, matching files to ports
> --->  Found 1 broken port:
>     py27-pyqt5 @5.8.2
>         /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyQt5/Enginio.so
>
> Maybe this will be fixed the next time I upgrade outdated. The file name is suspiciously similar to the qt5-qtenginio port that was obsolete.

Clemens Lang-2

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 04:23:55PM +0000, Fielding, Eric J (329A) wrote:
> I just did a similar “port selfupdate” and “port upgrade outdated” on
> my other Mac, and I got the same error message when I tried to
> uninstall qt5-qtenginio. This time, I did “port uninstall qt5
> @5.6.2_0” first and then uninstalled qt5-qtenginio without any error.
> It seems that the warning about breaking ports is for all the
> installed ports, not just the active ones, which I did not realize
> before. I also did a “port reclaim” to remove all the outdated ports
> that might depend on the old qt5.

This is a bug. We've had a similar situation with a different qt5-* port
where the maintainer added an upgrade path to deal with it
automatically. I mentioned it in the ticket back then that we'd need the
same thing for qt5-qtenginio, but it seems to have gotten lost.

Marcus: Can we add a deactivate hack for qt5-qtenginio, possibly for the
qt5 port?

Clemens

Are you sure? It doesn't sound like a bug... if qt5 @5.6.2 requires qt5-qtenginio, then isn't it proper for MacPorts to complain when trying to uninstall qt5-qtenginio if qt5 @5.6.2 is still installed>

----- On 21 Apr, 2017, at 00:34, Ryan Schmidt [hidden email] wrote:

> Are you sure? It doesn't sound like a bug... if qt5 @5.6.2 requires
> qt5-qtenginio, then isn't it proper for MacPorts to complain when trying to
> uninstall qt5-qtenginio if qt5 @5.6.2 is still installed

In general yes. However, this message happens for all users that upgrade qt5
to 5.7.x and requires users to manually uninstall qt5-qtenginio. It would be
preferable to find an automatic solution for the problem that does not require
users to manually intervene.

All our deactivate hacks disable dependencies that are still in use by other
ports.

Clemens Lang

Re: qt5-qtenginio is obsolete

Fielding, Eric J (329A)
It is confusing for people like me who use MacPorts at a more casual level than active developers get a message that “qt5-qtenginio” port should be removed and then to have to figure out how to remove it without breaking other ports we have installed, even if they are inactive.

In fact, I still have a remaining broken port message that I don’t know how to solve:
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  Found 1 broken file, matching files to ports
--->  Found 1 broken port:
     py27-pyqt5 @5.8.2
         /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyQt5/Enginio.so

Do I just need to delete that one file that appears to be from qt5-qtenginio, but was not removed when I uninstalled it? Or do I need to uninstall and reinstall py27-pyqt5?

Thanks,
        ++Eric

On Apr 22, 2017, at 20:02, Fielding, Eric J (329A) wrote:

> In fact, I still have a remaining broken port message that I don’t know how to solve:
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
> --->  Found 1 broken file, matching files to ports
> --->  Found 1 broken port:
>     py27-pyqt5 @5.8.2
>         /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyQt5/Enginio.so
>
> Do I just need to delete that one file that appears to be from qt5-qtenginio, but was not removed when I uninstalled it? Or do I need to uninstall and reinstall py27-pyqt5?

Whoever is in charge of the py-pyqt5 port, if anyone, needs to fix this problem.