python2

Michael Catanzaro
Hi,

python2 end of life is January 1, 2020. But even before then, we'll need to make WebKit work in environments without python2 available, because it's not going to be present in the next Red Hat Enterprise Linux or SUSE Linux Enterprise, and its fate in community distros like Fedora (where it is being orphaned by the maintainers, and at risk of removal) is looking questionable at best.

So we have basically two options:

 * Require python3 and port our python scripts from python2 to python3
 * Make our scripts support both major versions of python simultaneously

The later would be quite a pain, because developers using python2 are sure to break developers using python3, and vice-versia. But my understanding is that python3 is not readily-available on Macs, so that might be what we need to do if Apple wants to stick with python2.

Re: python2

Konstantin Tokarev

10.04.2018, 23:38, "Michael Catanzaro" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> python2 end of life is January 1, 2020. But even before then, we'll need to make WebKit work in environments without python2 available, because it's not going to be present in the next Red Hat Enterprise Linux or SUSE Linux Enterprise, and its fate in community distros like Fedora (where it is being orphaned by the maintainers, and at risk of removal) is looking questionable at best.
>
> So we have basically two options:
>
>  * Require python3 and port our python scripts from python2 to python3
>  * Make our scripts support both major versions of python simultaneously
>
> The later would be quite a pain, because developers using python2 are sure to break developers using python3, and vice-versia.

Adding pylint --py3k to style checker could prevent such breaks

> But my understanding is that python3 is not readily-available on Macs, so that might be what we need to do if Apple wants to stick with python2.
> ,

Konstantin

Re: python2

Ryosuke Niwa-2
Given no macOS ships with python3 installed by default, it's non-starter to break python2.7 support.

- R. Niwa

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 4:46 PM, Konstantin Tokarev <[hidden email]> wrote:

10.04.2018, 23:38, "Michael Catanzaro" <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> python2 end of life is January 1, 2020. But even before then, we'll need to make WebKit work in environments without python2 available, because it's not going to be present in the next Red Hat Enterprise Linux or SUSE Linux Enterprise, and its fate in community distros like Fedora (where it is being orphaned by the maintainers, and at risk of removal) is looking questionable at best.
>
> So we have basically two options:
>
>  * Require python3 and port our python scripts from python2 to python3
>  * Make our scripts support both major versions of python simultaneously
>
> The later would be quite a pain, because developers using python2 are sure to break developers using python3, and vice-versia.

Adding pylint --py3k to style checker could prevent such breaks

> But my understanding is that python3 is not readily-available on Macs, so that might be what we need to do if Apple wants to stick with python2.
> ,

Konstantin

Re: python2

Michael Catanzaro
OK then... this won't be fun, but we'll just have to make the scripts support both major versions of python. At least the scripts we use during the build, and use ourselves... and the ones that are tested by test-webkitpy... oh boy.

Michael