py34-rpy2 port dependence on R...

Carlo Tambuatco
I have the R.app application installed from the R project which also installs the R binary executable in my /usr/local/bin directory, so the point is I have R installed but it is not under macports control.

Is there a way to tell macports that I have R installed externally and get the py34-rpy2 port to use my installation instead of having to install the R port via macports? And if so, have this change persist through port upgrades…?

Thanks.

Re: py34-rpy2 port dependence on R...

Russell Jones-10
Generally using MacPorts with anything in /usr/local will cause
problems, so see if R will install to another location.

You may be able to use binpaths in macports.conf in the way one can with
MacTeX, though this relies on ports having binary rather than port name
dependencies. Let me know if you want more details.

Russell

On 06/05/17 03:54, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
> I have the R.app application installed from the R project which also installs the R binary executable in my /usr/local/bin directory, so the point is I have R installed but it is not under macports control.
>
> Is there a way to tell macports that I have R installed externally and get the py34-rpy2 port to use my installation instead of having to install the R port via macports? And if so, have this change persist through port upgrades…?
>
> Thanks.

Re: py34-rpy2 port dependence on R...

Chris Jones
I would suggest the opposite instead. Remove your external R and just use the MacPorts version. Any reason not to do this ? In general MacPorts (rightly) ignores anything outside its ${prefix}.

Chris

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: py34-rpy2 port dependence on R...

Carlo Tambuatco

> On May 11, 2017, at 12:52 PM, Christopher Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would suggest the opposite instead. Remove your external R and just use the MacPorts version. Any reason not to do this ? In general MacPorts (rightly) ignores anything outside its ${prefix}.

Well, the version of R under macports is a version or two behind the R project version, so I was wondering if I could just tell macports to recognize my version.

> Chris
>
>> On 6 May 2017, at 3:54 am, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have the R.app application installed from the R project which also installs the R binary executable in my /usr/local/bin directory, so the point is I have R installed but it is not under macports control.
>>
>> Is there a way to tell macports that I have R installed externally and get the py34-rpy2 port to use my installation instead of having to install the R port via macports? And if so, have this change persist through port upgrades…?
>>
>> Thanks.

Re: py34-rpy2 port dependence on R...

Chris Jones

> On 11 May 2017, at 5:56 pm, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On May 11, 2017, at 12:52 PM, Christopher Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would suggest the opposite instead. Remove your external R and just use the MacPorts version. Any reason not to do this ? In general MacPorts (rightly) ignores anything outside its ${prefix}.
>

> Well, the version of R under macports is a version or two behind the R project version, so I was wondering if I could just tell macports to recognize my version.

Then submit a pull request updating the version ;)

>> Chris
>>
>>> On 6 May 2017, at 3:54 am, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have the R.app application installed from the R project which also installs the R binary executable in my /usr/local/bin directory, so the point is I have R installed but it is not under macports control.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to tell macports that I have R installed externally and get the py34-rpy2 port to use my installation instead of having to install the R port via macports? And if so, have this change persist through port upgrades…?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: py34-rpy2 port dependence on R...

Chris Jones

> On 11 May 2017, at 5:56 pm, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On May 11, 2017, at 12:52 PM, Christopher Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would suggest the opposite instead. Remove your external R and just use the MacPorts version. Any reason not to do this ? In general MacPorts (rightly) ignores anything outside its ${prefix}.
>

> Well, the version of R under macports is a version or two behind the R project version, so I was wondering if I could just tell macports to recognize my version.

The version in MacPorts is already 3.4.0 Is this not the most recent release ?

https://www.r-project.org

>> Chris
>>
>>> On 6 May 2017, at 3:54 am, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have the R.app application installed from the R project which also installs the R binary executable in my /usr/local/bin directory, so the point is I have R installed but it is not under macports control.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to tell macports that I have R installed externally and get the py34-rpy2 port to use my installation instead of having to install the R port via macports? And if so, have this change persist through port upgrades…?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: py34-rpy2 port dependence on R...

Carlo Tambuatco

> On May 11, 2017, at 1:10 PM, Christopher Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 11 May 2017, at 5:56 pm, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On May 11, 2017, at 12:52 PM, Christopher Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would suggest the opposite instead. Remove your external R and just use the MacPorts version. Any reason not to do this ? In general MacPorts (rightly) ignores anything outside its ${prefix}.
>>

>> Well, the version of R under macports is a version or two behind the R project version, so I was wondering if I could just tell macports to recognize my version.
>
> The version in MacPorts is already 3.4.0 Is this not the most recent release ?

Is it? Alright, it wasn’t the last time I checked several days ago...