problem with upgrading macport installed packages

problem with upgrading macport installed packages

pagani laurent via macports-users
Hi all,

I just moved to the new 2.4.3 by running port selfupdate and tried to follow-up with a port upgrade outdated but it keeps stumbling on many ports claiming they were installed by third parties. Which is not the case and I did not uninstall Port either. So I don’t know why the upgrade keeps stumbling.
I can force the activation and restart the upgrade but it repeatedly stumble, so this becomes tiresome.

The webpage suggests to uninstall everything and reinstall them but this seems a bit violent with the risk to forget a number of packages. Can’t we just tell Macports to force installation each time it is needed ?

Laurent

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Douglas Adams

Re: problem with upgrading macport installed packages

Chris Jones

Please post examples of the warning/error messages you are getting...

On 16/04/18 14:12, pagani laurent via macports-users wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just moved to the new 2.4.3 by running port selfupdate and tried to follow-up with a port upgrade outdated but it keeps stumbling on many ports claiming they were installed by third parties. Which is not the case and I did not uninstall Port either. So I don’t know why the upgrade keeps stumbling.
> I can force the activation and restart the upgrade but it repeatedly stumble, so this becomes tiresome.
>
> The webpage suggests to uninstall everything and reinstall them but this seems a bit violent with the risk to forget a number of packages. Can’t we just tell Macports to force installation each time it is needed ?
>
> Laurent
>
> There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
>
> Douglas Adams

Re: problem with upgrading macport installed packages

pagani laurent via macports-users
Here one such example :

[…]
--->  Installing py36-six @1.11.0_0
--->  Activating py36-six @1.11.0_0
Error: Failed to activate py36-six: Image error: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/__pycache__/six.cpython-36.pyc already exists and does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to activate port py36-six. Use 'port -f activate py36-six' to force the activation.
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-six/py36-six/main.log for details.
Error: Problem while installing py36-six
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.

[…]

sudo port -f activate py36-six
--->  Computing dependencies for py36-six
--->  Activating py36-six @1.11.0_0
Warning: File /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/__pycache__/six.cpython-36.pyc already exists.  Moving to: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/__pycache__/six.cpython-36.pyc.mp_1523883488.
--->  Cleaning py36-six

and then I relaunch upgrade outdated…

L.

> Le 16 avr. 2018 à 15:14, Chris Jones <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> Please post examples of the warning/error messages you are getting...
>
> On 16/04/18 14:12, pagani laurent via macports-users wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I just moved to the new 2.4.3 by running port selfupdate and tried to follow-up with a port upgrade outdated but it keeps stumbling on many ports claiming they were installed by third parties. Which is not the case and I did not uninstall Port either. So I don’t know why the upgrade keeps stumbling.
>> I can force the activation and restart the upgrade but it repeatedly stumble, so this becomes tiresome.
>> The webpage suggests to uninstall everything and reinstall them but this seems a bit violent with the risk to forget a number of packages. Can’t we just tell Macports to force installation each time it is needed ?
>> Laurent
>> There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
>> Douglas Adams

Re: problem with upgrading macport installed packages

Ryan Schmidt-24

On Apr 16, 2018, at 08:37, pagani laurent wrote:

> Here one such example :
>
> […]
> --->  Installing py36-six @1.11.0_0
> --->  Activating py36-six @1.11.0_0
> Error: Failed to activate py36-six: Image error: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/__pycache__/six.cpython-36.pyc already exists and does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to activate port py36-six. Use 'port -f activate py36-six' to force the activation.
> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-six/py36-six/main.log for details.
> Error: Problem while installing py36-six
> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.

Only MacPorts should install software in /opt/local, but MacPorts states above that it did not install this file. So how did it get there? If you don't know, the safest thing to do is uninstall MacPorts and all ports, following the uninstallation instructions on the web site, and then reinstall MacPorts and the ports you want.

Re: problem with upgrading macport installed packages

pvr4me
> On Apr 16, 2018, at 4:23 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2018, at 08:37, pagani laurent wrote:
>
>> Here one such example :
>>
>> […]
>> --->  Installing py36-six @1.11.0_0
>> --->  Activating py36-six @1.11.0_0
>> Error: Failed to activate py36-six: Image error: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/__pycache__/six.cpython-36.pyc already exists and does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to activate port py36-six. Use 'port -f activate py36-six' to force the activation.
>> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-six/py36-six/main.log for details.
>> Error: Problem while installing py36-six
>> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
>
> Only MacPorts should install software in /opt/local, but MacPorts states above that it did not install this file. So how did it get there? If you don't know, the safest thing to do is uninstall MacPorts and all ports, following the uninstallation instructions on the web site, and then reinstall MacPorts and the ports you want.

The unregistered files could possibly be from a badly-built installer package?  Or the registry file got nuked at some point.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#xmlwf

Craig