problem with linking openssl for mailsend

problem with linking openssl for mailsend

macports-2
my development machine is a macmini. the harddisk failed, so i restored time machine to a new disk.
but, the time machine backup (using directory hardlinks) had many missing directories, so most of my development is gone forever.

so it seems i cannot trust time machine, any suggestions are welcome ;-)

one of the problems is mailsend 'lightweight, command line SMTP email client'. i still have a binary /usr/local/bin/mailsend (2015 probably from before 10.11) but not the procedure to build it. now i'm trying to make a port for it but i have a linking problem. this one is for macos 10.13.

ref: https://github.com/muquit/mailsend

otool -L /usr/local/bin/mailsend # tis is the old one
/usr/local/bin/mailsend:
/usr/lib/libssl.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8, current version 0.9.8)
/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8, current version 0.9.8)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1213.0.0)

the readme says

./configure --with-openssl=/usr
not using macports but apple this results in
./mailsend -V
mailsend Version: @(#) mailsend v1.19
Not Compiled OpenSSL, some auth methods will be unavailable

i have openssl @1.1.1g_0 installed and port contents shows

/opt/local/lib/libcrypto.1.1.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libcrypto.dylib ->
/opt/local/lib/libssl.1.1.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libssl.dylib ->

i need to specify the include and lib directory so i tried

./configure --with-openssl /opt/local --with-openssl-includes /opt/local/include/openssl --with-openssl-libraries /opt/local/lib
make clean && make
./mailsend -V
mailsend Version: @(#) mailsend v1.19
Not Compiled OpenSSL, some auth methods will be unavailable

otool -L mailsend
mailsend:
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1252.50.4)

any suggestions?

Re: problem with linking openssl for mailsend

Joshua Root-8
On 2020-6-18 08:15 , [hidden email] wrote:
> ./configure --with-openssl=/usr
> not using macports but apple this results inĀ
> ./mailsend -V
> mailsend Version: @(#) mailsend v1.19
> Not Compiled OpenSSL, some auth methods will be unavailable

You didn't say what OS version you are on, but there are no headers in
/usr/include any more on recent ones. It's all in the SDK.

> ./configure --with-openssl /opt/local --with-openssl-includes
> /opt/local/include/openssl --with-openssl-librariesĀ /opt/local/lib
> make clean && make
> ./mailsend -V
> mailsend Version: @(#) mailsend v1.19
> Not Compiled OpenSSL, some auth methods will be unavailable
>
> otool -L mailsend
> mailsend:
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
> 1252.50.4)
>
> any suggestions?

Show (via a pastebin) the configure results, preferably config.log if
there is one.

- Josh

On Jun 17, 2020, at 17:15, [hidden email] wrote:

> my development machine is a macmini. the harddisk failed, so i restored time machine to a new disk.
> but, the time machine backup (using directory hardlinks) had many missing directories, so most of my development is gone forever.
>
> so it seems i cannot trust time machine, any suggestions are welcome ;-)

Sorry to hear that...

Time machine does indeed use hard links but that's an implementation detail that you probably aren't supposed to need to know or care about.

If you lost data that you thought was backed up to time machine, I hope you'll send feedback about your experience to Apple.

https://feedbackassistant.apple.com

Re: problem with linking openssl for mailsend

Fred Wright

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2020, at 17:15, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> my development machine is a macmini. the harddisk failed, so i restored time machine to a new disk.

Did you try recovering the disk contents with ddrescue?

>> but, the time machine backup (using directory hardlinks) had many missing directories, so most of my development is gone forever.
>>
>> so it seems i cannot trust time machine, any suggestions are welcome ;-)
>
> Sorry to hear that...
>
> Time machine does indeed use hard links but that's an implementation detail that you probably aren't supposed to need to know or care about.
>
> If you lost data that you thought was backed up to time machine, I hope you'll send feedback about your experience to Apple.
>
> https://feedbackassistant.apple.com

Which will probably get a "working as intended".

TimeMachine has always secretly excluded certain "system" directories from
backups, with no GUI option to change that behavior.  Somewhere along the
line, I found out about this, resulting my adding the following to its
preferences file:

MacPro:~ fw$ plutil -p /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist
[...]
   "IncludeByPath" => [
     0 => "/Applications"
     1 => "/Developer"