problem with font DejaVuSansMono

macports-2
I'm working on a munin 2.x port. The server part uses rrdtool to produce graphs. The graphs are unuseable due to 1) font too small 2) font not monospaced. In munin 1.4.7 with rrdtool < 1.3 the font is explicitly defined as DejaVuSansMono.ttf, but starting with rrdtool 1.3 (uses pango) this is changed to DejaVuSans,DejaVu Sans,DejaVu LGC Sans,Bitstream Vera Sans. meanwhile rrdtool is 1.7, which might we working differently, but in the rrdtool Changelog I cannot find anything on fonts after 1.3.

For this munin2 port I'm working in a second macports instalation with prefix /opt/mpt.

In '/opt/mpt/etc/fonts/fonts.conf' there is this:
---
    <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
---
and 'port contents dejavu-fonts' gives:
---
  /opt/mpt/share/fonts/dejavu-fonts/DejaVuSans.ttf
  /opt/mpt/share/fonts/dejavu-fonts/DejaVuSansMono.ttf
---
and reinstalling dejavu-fonts gives:
---
  DEBUG: system: /opt/mpt/bin/fc-cache -fv /opt/mpt/share/fonts
---
but fc-cache seems to hang now (not on initial 2nd macports install), without taking any cpu.

When I try any of the fc-* programs on whatever font directory they all hang, again with no cpu.

I already had DejaVu fonts in /Library/Fonts. When I tried to reinstall by FontBook it gave the message
---
  Font Book: add <backup>/DejaVu*
  error on Font Validation:
  Problems may have been found with some fonts during validation.
  22 serious errors were found. Do not use these fonts.
---
These old versions of DejaVu are identical to the reinstall by macports today.

munin -> perl -> rrdtool -> pango -> fontconfig => this begins to look like a neverending story.

I suppose something is rotten in te state of Denmark, but where do I start to look for it?

thnx, paul.

Re: problem with font DejaVuSansMono

Clemens Lang-2
Hi,

----- On 7 Apr, 2018, at 01:34,  [hidden email] wrote:

> ---
>  DEBUG: system: /opt/mpt/bin/fc-cache -fv /opt/mpt/share/fonts
> ---
> but fc-cache seems to hang now (not on initial 2nd macports install), without
> taking any cpu.

fc-cache may just be doing a lot of IO. Try running
 $> sudo opensnoop -n fc-cache
in a separate terminal to see whether it is in fact hanging or just taking a
long time.

Clemens Lang

Re: problem with font DejaVuSansMono

Perry E. Metzger
On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 13:22:38 +0200 (CEST) Clemens Lang
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ----- On 7 Apr, 2018, at 01:34,  [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > ---
> >  DEBUG: system: /opt/mpt/bin/fc-cache -fv /opt/mpt/share/fonts
> > ---
> > but fc-cache seems to hang now (not on initial 2nd macports
> > install), without taking any cpu.
>
> fc-cache may just be doing a lot of IO. Try running
>  $> sudo opensnoop -n fc-cache
> in a separate terminal to see whether it is in fact hanging or just
> taking a long time.

I've personally seen fc-cache take an insanely long time to finish.

--
Perry E. Metzger [hidden email]