problem installing gnureadline

pagani laurent via macports-users
Hi,

I have python3.6 updated, and selected to run on command python3 and ipython3.
I tried to install py36-jupyter (never installed before).
It crashed on trying to install py36-gnureadline.
I cleaned py36-gnureadline and tried again. Crashed again (attached the log) :

--->  Fetching distfiles for py36-gnureadline
--->  Verifying checksums for py36-gnureadline
--->  Extracting py36-gnureadline
--->  Applying patches to py36-gnureadline
--->  Configuring py36-gnureadline
--->  Building py36-gnureadline
Error: Failed to build py36-gnureadline: command execution failed
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-gnureadline/py36-gnureadline/main.log for details.
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
Error: Processing of port py36-gnureadline failed

Laurent

main.log (31K) Download Attachment

Re: problem installing gnureadline

Rainer Müller-4
On 2018-04-16 16:32, pagani laurent via macports-users wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have python3.6 updated, and selected to run on command python3 and ipython3.
> I tried to install py36-jupyter (never installed before).
> It crashed on trying to install py36-gnureadline.
> I cleaned py36-gnureadline and tried again. Crashed again (attached the log) :
>
> --->  Fetching distfiles for py36-gnureadline
> --->  Verifying checksums for py36-gnureadline
> --->  Extracting py36-gnureadline
> --->  Applying patches to py36-gnureadline
> --->  Configuring py36-gnureadline
> --->  Building py36-gnureadline
> Error: Failed to build py36-gnureadline: command execution failed
> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-gnureadline/py36-gnureadline/main.log for details.
> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
> Error: Processing of port py36-gnureadline failed

This is actually a problem with a file installed by the py36-scipy port:

:info:build PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy-0.19.1.dist-info'

Note the current version of py-scipy is 1.0.1. This file or a similar
file is not part of the current py36-scipy archive.

You should upgrade the outdated ports on your system:
  sudo port selfupdate
  sudo port upgrade outdated

Re: problem installing gnureadline

pagani laurent via macports-users
Rainer,

I just updated the outdated ports before trying to install py36-jupyter :

Macports>sudo port upgrade outdated
Password:
Nothing to upgrade.

but py36-scipy was not installed (I was on py35 until now because of the py36-readline bug).

So I installed py36-scipy but the error remains the same.
Same permission error in the logfile.

Laurent

On 2018-04-16 16:32, pagani laurent via macports-users wrote:
Hi,

[...]

"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème" (devise Shadok)

main.log (55K) Download Attachment

On 2018-04-16 20:07, pagani laurent wrote:

> Rainer,
>
> I just updated the outdated ports before trying to install py36-jupyter :
>
> Macports>sudo port upgrade outdated
> Password:
> Nothing to upgrade.
>
> but py36-scipy was not installed (I was on py35 until now because of the
> py36-readline bug).
>
> So I installed py36-scipy but the error remains the same.
> Same permission error in the logfile.

Is this file provided by a port? If not, you must have installed it in
some other way.

port provides
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy-0.19.1.dist-info

Knowing where it comes from would help to find out how to clean it up.
Did you install python packages with pip, that is 'sudo pip install'?

Re: problem installing gnureadline

pagani laurent via macports-users

> Is this file provided by a port? If not, you must have installed it in
> some other way.

I have just installed py36-scipy with port tonight (though as many others it indeed failed to get activated and I had to force it)

> port provides
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy-0.19.1.dist-info

this is the same path

> Knowing where it comes from would help to find out how to clean it up.
> Did you install python packages with pip, that is 'sudo pip install’?

I possibly tried once to do that (but most probably failed, I don’t remember using sudo with pip)

Considering the numerous failures of activation I had when running upgrade outdated, I consider rebuilding everything from scratch.
As if I was moving from one OS to the next…

Laurent

Re: problem installing gnureadline

pagani laurent via macports-users
Rainer,

after uninstalling everything and following the ”migration” tuto (and removing tk from requested ports), I tried to install py36-jupyter but it stopped again with the gnureadline install which still fails in the same way as before (complaining about some scipy directory) though in principle there is nothing left from outside/weird installations.

--->  Configuring py36-gnureadline
--->  Building py36-gnureadline
Error: Failed to build py36-gnureadline: command execution failed
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-gnureadline/py36-gnureadline/main.log for details.

(attached)

> Is this file provided by a port? If not, you must have installed it in
> some other way.
>
> port provides
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy-0.19.1.dist-info

it says it is a directory.
Note also that py36-scipy was installed earlier today with MP on my request without failure.

main.log (12K) Download Attachment

On 2018-04-18 15:07, pagani laurent wrote:
> after uninstalling everything and following the ”migration” tuto (and removing tk from requested ports), I tried to install py36-jupyter but it stopped again with the gnureadline install which still fails in the same way as before (complaining about some scipy directory) though in principle there is nothing left from outside/weird installations.

No port command will get rid of this file/directory when it is not
provided by a MacPorts port. You will have to clean it up manually.

> --->  Configuring py36-gnureadline
> --->  Building py36-gnureadline
> Error: Failed to build py36-gnureadline: command execution failed
> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-gnureadline/py36-gnureadline/main.log for details.
>
> (attached)
>

>> Is this file provided by a port? If not, you must have installed it in
>> some other way.
>>
>> port provides
>> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy-0.19.1.dist-info
>
> it says it is a directory.
> Note also that py36-scipy was installed earlier today with MP on my request without failure.

This file is definitely not coming from the current version of
py36-scipy. I assume you used 'sudo pip install' before (or some script
did) and that installed python packages directly into the MacPorts prefix.

The simplest solution is to just move this directory away:

sudo mv
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy-0.19.1.dist-info
~/Desktop/

Re: problem installing gnureadline

Christopher Jones
stalled python packages directly into the MacPorts prefix.

> The simplest solution is to just move this directory away:
>
> sudo mv
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy-0.19.1.dist-info
> ~/Desktop/

I would suggest the 'nuke macports' command as listed at

https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html

then start again.

Chris

Re: problem installing gnureadline

pagani laurent via macports-users
You are right of course. So I ended up removing everything which was not installed yesterday or today and that cured it but is there a way to clean up completely /opt/local without removing Macports itself so that one can reply the reinstall script easily ?

Laurent

On 18/04/18 14:44, pagani laurent via macports-users wrote:
> You are right of course. So I ended up removing everything which was not
> installed yesterday or today and that cured it but is there a way to
> clean up completely /opt/local without removing Macports itself so that
> one can reply the reinstall script easily ?

If you first follow the instructions at

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

to create the lists of ports you have installed, you can then if you
wish replace steps c and d

c Uninstall all installed ports:

sudo port -f uninstall installed

d Clean any partially-completed builds:

sudo rm -rf /opt/local/var/macports/build/*

with the nuke at

https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html

and then still uses the previously saved list of ports to reinstall the
ports, once you have reinstalled macports.

> Laurent
>
>> Le 18 avr. 2018 à 15:18, Rainer Müller <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>>
>> On 2018-04-18 15:07, pagani laurent wrote:
>>> after uninstalling everything and following the ”migration” tuto (and
>>> removing tk from requested ports), I tried to install py36-jupyter
>>> but it stopped again with the gnureadline install which still fails
>>> in the same way as before (complaining about some scipy directory)
>>> though in principle there is nothing left from outside/weird
>>> installations.
>>
>> No port command will get rid of this file/directory when it is not
>> provided by a MacPorts port. You will have to clean it up manually.
>>
>>> --->  Configuring py36-gnureadline
>>> --->  Building py36-gnureadline
>>> Error: Failed to build py36-gnureadline: command execution failed
>>> Error: See
>>> /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-gnureadline/py36-gnureadline/main.log
>>> for details.
>>>
>>> (attached)

>>> it says it is a directory.
>>> Note also that py36-scipy was installed earlier today with MP on my
>>> request without failure.
>>
>> This file is definitely not coming from the current version of
>> py36-scipy. I assume you used 'sudo pip install' before (or some script
>> did) and that installed python packages directly into the MacPorts prefix.
>>
>> The simplest solution is to just move this directory away:
>>
>> sudo mv
>> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy-0.19.1.dist-info
>> ~/Desktop/
>>
>> Rainer
>
> "S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème" (devise
> Shadok)

Re: problem installing gnureadline

pagani laurent via macports-users
Chris,

This is what I wanted to avoid : removing Macports itself. But maybe there is no safe way to do that and it is not worth sparing that bit of code.

But if one erases everything along the

https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html

what is the use to run macports uninstall ? Isn’t everything wiped out once /opt/local is erased ?

L.

> Le 18 avr. 2018 à 15:49, Chris Jones <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> On 18/04/18 14:44, pagani laurent via macports-users wrote:
>> You are right of course. So I ended up removing everything which was not installed yesterday or today and that cured it but is there a way to clean up completely /opt/local without removing Macports itself so that one can reply the reinstall script easily ?
>
> If you first follow the instructions at
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>
> to create the lists of ports you have installed, you can then if you wish replace steps c and d
>
> c Uninstall all installed ports:
>
> sudo port -f uninstall installed
>
> d Clean any partially-completed builds:
>
> sudo rm -rf /opt/local/var/macports/build/*
>
> with the nuke at
>
> https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html
>
> and then still uses the previously saved list of ports to reinstall the ports, once you have reinstalled macports.
>

>> Laurent

>>> No port command will get rid of this file/directory when it is not
>>> provided by a MacPorts port. You will have to clean it up manually.

>>> This file is definitely not coming from the current version of
>>> py36-scipy. I assume you used 'sudo pip install' before (or some script
>>> did) and that installed python packages directly into the MacPorts prefix.
>>>
>>> The simplest solution is to just move this directory away:
>>>
>>> sudo mv
>>> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy-0.19.1.dist-info
>>> ~/Desktop/
>>>
>>> Rainer
>> "S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème" (devise Shadok)

"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème" (devise Shadok)

Re: problem installing gnureadline

Christopher Jones

> But if one erases everything along the
>
> https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html
>
> what is the use to run macports uninstall ? Isn’t everything wiped out once /opt/local is erased ?

The page first describes the uninstall command. That will be enough for
many. The 'rm -rf' is described as a second option, if you *really* want
to get rid of everything. You can run one or the other, take you pick.
You can run both, but indeed once you run the second whether or not you
ran he first is a moot point, its redundant.

> L.
>
>> Le 18 avr. 2018 à 15:49, Chris Jones <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>

>> On 18/04/18 14:44, pagani laurent via macports-users wrote:
>>> You are right of course. So I ended up removing everything which was not installed yesterday or today and that cured it but is there a way to clean up completely /opt/local without removing Macports itself so that one can reply the reinstall script easily ?
>>
>> If you first follow the instructions at
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>>
>> to create the lists of ports you have installed, you can then if you wish replace steps c and d
>>
>> c Uninstall all installed ports:
>>
>> sudo port -f uninstall installed
>>
>> d Clean any partially-completed builds:
>>
>> sudo rm -rf /opt/local/var/macports/build/*
>>
>> with the nuke at
>>
>> https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html
>>
>> and then still uses the previously saved list of ports to reinstall the ports, once you have reinstalled macports.
>>

>>> Laurent

>>> "S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème" (devise Shadok)
>
> "S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème" (devise Shadok)

Re: problem installing gnureadline

Clemens Lang-2
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 03:44:50PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> > But if one erases everything along the
> >
> > https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html
> >
> > what is the use to run macports uninstall ? Isn’t everything wiped
> > out once /opt/local is erased ?
>
> The page first describes the uninstall command. That will be enough
> for many. The 'rm -rf' is described as a second option, if you
> *really* want to get rid of everything. You can run one or the other,
> take you pick. You can run both, but indeed once you run the second
> whether or not you ran he first is a moot point, its redundant.

No, these are not options. The two steps are meant to be run in-order.
Ports can (and a few exotic ones will) install files in other locations
in the filesystem that are not covered by the rm -rf in the second step.
If you do not uninstall the ports (or at least deactivate them), these
files would be left on your disk, and the next installation of one of
these ports would fail with the same problem you've been seeing.

--
Clemens