port leaf becoming requested

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
db
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

port leaf becoming requested

db
I wanted to install texinfo which is actually a leaf of coreutils, but `sudo port install texinfo` doesn't make it a requested port, as I would expect. Is it intended behaviour? I suppose, I could either uninstall leaves and reinstall it, or use setrequested.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: port leaf becoming requested

Ryan Schmidt-24

On Apr 18, 2017, at 02:52, db wrote:

> I wanted to install texinfo which is actually a leaf of coreutils, but `sudo port install texinfo` doesn't make it a requested port, as I would expect. Is it intended behaviour? I suppose, I could either uninstall leaves and reinstall it, or use setrequested.

Yes, installing a port should mark it requested. I'm unclear what happened in your situation.

db
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: port leaf becoming requested

db
On 18 Apr 2017, at 13:07, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, installing a port should mark it requested. I'm unclear what happened in your situation.

This is what I do:

Last login: Tue Apr 18 14:14:12 on ttys001
tests-mac:~ test$
tests-mac:~ test$ port version
Version: 2.4.1
tests-mac:~ test$
tests-mac:~ test$ uname -a
Darwin tests-mac.local 12.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.5.0: Sun Sep 29 13:33:47 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2050.48.12~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
tests-mac:~ test$
tests-mac:~ test$ port installed texinfo
None of the specified ports are installed.
tests-mac:~ test$
tests-mac:~ test$ sudo port install coreutils
--->  Computing dependencies for coreutils
The following dependencies will be installed:  texinfo
Continue? [Y/n]: y
--->  Fetching distfiles for texinfo
--->  Verifying checksums for texinfo
--->  Extracting texinfo
--->  Configuring texinfo
--->  Building texinfo
--->  Staging texinfo into destroot
--->  Installing texinfo @6.3_0
--->  Activating texinfo @6.3_0
--->  Cleaning texinfo
--->  Fetching distfiles for coreutils
--->  Verifying checksums for coreutils
--->  Extracting coreutils
--->  Applying patches to coreutils
--->  Configuring coreutils
--->  Building coreutils
--->  Staging coreutils into destroot
--->  Installing coreutils @8.27_0
--->  Activating coreutils @8.27_0
--->  Cleaning coreutils
--->  Updating database of binaries
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  No broken files found.
--->  Some of the ports you installed have notes:
  coreutils has the following notes:
    The tools provided by GNU coreutils are prefixed with the character 'g' by default to distinguish
    them from the BSD commands.
    For example, cp becomes gcp and ls becomes gls.
   
    If you want to use the GNU tools by default, add this directory to the front of your PATH environment
    variable:
        /opt/local/libexec/gnubin/
tests-mac:~ test$
tests-mac:~ test$ port installed texinfo
The following ports are currently installed:
  texinfo @6.3_0 (active)
tests-mac:~ test$
tests-mac:~ test$ port echo leaves | grep tex
texinfo                        @6.3_0
tests-mac:~ test$
tests-mac:~ test$ sudo port install texinfo
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for texinfo
--->  Cleaning texinfo
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  No broken files found.
tests-mac:~ test$
tests-mac:~ test$ port echo leaves | grep tex
texinfo                        @6.3_0
tests-mac:~ test$
tests-mac:~ test$ port echo requested
coreutils                      @8.27_0
tests-mac:~ test$
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: port leaf becoming requested

Ryan Schmidt-24

> On Apr 18, 2017, at 07:37, db <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 18 Apr 2017, at 13:07, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes, installing a port should mark it requested. I'm unclear what happened in your situation.
>
> This is what I do:
>
> Last login: Tue Apr 18 14:14:12 on ttys001
> tests-mac:~ test$
> tests-mac:~ test$ port version
> Version: 2.4.1
> tests-mac:~ test$
> tests-mac:~ test$ uname -a
> Darwin tests-mac.local 12.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.5.0: Sun Sep 29 13:33:47 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2050.48.12~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
> tests-mac:~ test$
> tests-mac:~ test$ port installed texinfo
> None of the specified ports are installed.
> tests-mac:~ test$
> tests-mac:~ test$ sudo port install coreutils
> --->  Computing dependencies for coreutils
> The following dependencies will be installed:  texinfo
> Continue? [Y/n]: y
> --->  Fetching distfiles for texinfo
> --->  Verifying checksums for texinfo
> --->  Extracting texinfo
> --->  Configuring texinfo
> --->  Building texinfo
> --->  Staging texinfo into destroot
> --->  Installing texinfo @6.3_0
> --->  Activating texinfo @6.3_0
> --->  Cleaning texinfo
> --->  Fetching distfiles for coreutils
> --->  Verifying checksums for coreutils
> --->  Extracting coreutils
> --->  Applying patches to coreutils
> --->  Configuring coreutils
> --->  Building coreutils
> --->  Staging coreutils into destroot
> --->  Installing coreutils @8.27_0
> --->  Activating coreutils @8.27_0
> --->  Cleaning coreutils
> --->  Updating database of binaries
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
> --->  No broken files found.
> --->  Some of the ports you installed have notes:
>  coreutils has the following notes:
>    The tools provided by GNU coreutils are prefixed with the character 'g' by default to distinguish
>    them from the BSD commands.
>    For example, cp becomes gcp and ls becomes gls.
>
>    If you want to use the GNU tools by default, add this directory to the front of your PATH environment
>    variable:
>        /opt/local/libexec/gnubin/
> tests-mac:~ test$
> tests-mac:~ test$ port installed texinfo
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  texinfo @6.3_0 (active)
> tests-mac:~ test$
> tests-mac:~ test$ port echo leaves | grep tex
> texinfo                        @6.3_0
> tests-mac:~ test$
> tests-mac:~ test$ sudo port install texinfo
> Password:
> --->  Computing dependencies for texinfo
> --->  Cleaning texinfo
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
> --->  No broken files found.
> tests-mac:~ test$
> tests-mac:~ test$ port echo leaves | grep tex
> texinfo                        @6.3_0
> tests-mac:~ test$
> tests-mac:~ test$ port echo requested
> coreutils                      @8.27_0
> tests-mac:~ test$

Ok fine. So texinfo got installed as a dependency of coreutils. You didn't ask for it directly, so it was not marked requested.

Then, after that, you asked MacPorts to directly install texinfo. Since it was already installed, MacPorts did nothing.

If you want to mark an already-installed port requested, use "port setrequested".

db
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: port leaf becoming requested

db
On 18 Apr 2017, at 14:43, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok fine. So texinfo got installed as a dependency of coreutils. You didn't ask for it directly, so it was not marked requested.
> Then, after that, you asked MacPorts to directly install texinfo. Since it was already installed, MacPorts did nothing.
> If you want to mark an already-installed port requested, use "port setrequested".

I thought `port install` of a leaf port would mark it as installed and be MacPorts expected behaviour. Anyway, something to take into account when automating an installation.
Loading...