macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

Carlo Tambuatco
This might seem like a small issue, but it bothers me because I just can’t find
what changed...

It seems the latest security update to macOS has rendered me unable to view the
apache manual pages installed on my local webserver. It worked fine before the
update, but now when I open up a browser to http://localhost:8080/manual, I get
403 Forbidden, you don’t have permission to access this resource.

I checked my httpd.conf file, and my extra/httpd-manual.conf file which contain the
apache directives for viewing and handling the manual pages, but as far as I can tell,
nothing changed. It seems apache2 can find the directory, but it now says I don’t
have permission to view it? What possibly could have changed?

Re: macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

Henning Hraban Ramm

> Am 02.02.2021 um 13:20 schrieb Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]>:
>
> This might seem like a small issue, but it bothers me because I just can’t find
> what changed...
>
> It seems the latest security update to macOS has rendered me unable to view the
> apache manual pages installed on my local webserver. It worked fine before the
> update, but now when I open up a browser to http://localhost:8080/manual, I get
> 403 Forbidden, you don’t have permission to access this resource.
>
> I checked my httpd.conf file, and my extra/httpd-manual.conf file which contain the
> apache directives for viewing and handling the manual pages, but as far as I can tell,
> nothing changed. It seems apache2 can find the directory, but it now says I don’t
> have permission to view it? What possibly could have changed?
Did you check if Apache is allowed to access (and serve) the folder and files of the manual pages?

Best, Hraban

Re: macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

Carlo Tambuatco

> On Feb 2, 2021, at 9:32 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Am 02.02.2021 um 13:20 schrieb Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> This might seem like a small issue, but it bothers me because I just can’t find
>> what changed...
>>
>> It seems the latest security update to macOS has rendered me unable to view the
>> apache manual pages installed on my local webserver. It worked fine before the
>> update, but now when I open up a browser to http://localhost:8080/manual, I get
>> 403 Forbidden, you don’t have permission to access this resource.
>>
>> I checked my httpd.conf file, and my extra/httpd-manual.conf file which contain the
>> apache directives for viewing and handling the manual pages, but as far as I can tell,
>> nothing changed. It seems apache2 can find the directory, but it now says I don’t
>> have permission to view it? What possibly could have changed?
>
> Did you check if Apache is allowed to access (and serve) the folder and files of the manual pages?

How do I do this?

> Best, Hraban

Re: macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

Marius Schamschula-3
Let’s step back one step.

You are running which version of macOS?

> On Feb 2, 2021, at 9:25 AM, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 2, 2021, at 9:32 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Am 02.02.2021 um 13:20 schrieb Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> This might seem like a small issue, but it bothers me because I just can’t find
>>> what changed...
>>>
>>> It seems the latest security update to macOS has rendered me unable to view the
>>> apache manual pages installed on my local webserver. It worked fine before the
>>> update, but now when I open up a browser to http://localhost:8080/manual, I get
>>> 403 Forbidden, you don’t have permission to access this resource.
>>>
>>> I checked my httpd.conf file, and my extra/httpd-manual.conf file which contain the
>>> apache directives for viewing and handling the manual pages, but as far as I can tell,
>>> nothing changed. It seems apache2 can find the directory, but it now says I don’t
>>> have permission to view it? What possibly could have changed?
>>
>> Did you check if Apache is allowed to access (and serve) the folder and files of the manual pages?
>>

> How do I do this?
>
>> Best, Hraban

Re: macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

Carlo Tambuatco

> On Feb 2, 2021, at 10:37 AM, Marius Schamschula <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Let’s step back one step.
>
> You are running which version of macOS?

10.15.7 updated last night.

>>> Did you check if Apache is allowed to access (and serve) the folder and files of the manual pages?
>>>

>> How do I do this?
>>
>>> Best, Hraban

Re: macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

Marius Schamschula-3
Did you check if all required modules are active?

I just installed apache2 on a Catalina system. I couldn’t view the manual until I edited http.conf and enabled mod_negotiation

> On Feb 2, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 2, 2021, at 10:37 AM, Marius Schamschula <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Let’s step back one step.
>>
>> You are running which version of macOS?

>>> How do I do this?

Re: macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

Carlo Tambuatco

> On Feb 2, 2021, at 11:10 AM, Marius Schamschula <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Did you check if all required modules are active?
>
> I just installed apache2 on a Catalina system. I couldn’t view the manual until I edited http.conf and enabled mod_negotiation

in httpd.conf

LoadModule negotiation_module libexec/apache2/mod_negotiation.so

is uncommented.

>> On Feb 2, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Feb 2, 2021, at 10:37 AM, Marius Schamschula <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Let’s step back one step.
>>>
>>> You are running which version of macOS?
>>

>> 10.15.7 updated last night.

Re: macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

Marius Schamschula-3
OK. It isn’t by default.

Are you using extra/httpd-manual.conf, i.e. have it included from http.conf, or are you using the default settings?

The only other thing I can think of is that somewhere in the /opt/local/www/apache2/manual path there are some incorrect permissions.

> On Feb 2, 2021, at 10:16 AM, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 2, 2021, at 11:10 AM, Marius Schamschula <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Did you check if all required modules are active?
>>
>> I just installed apache2 on a Catalina system. I couldn’t view the manual until I edited http.conf and enabled mod_negotiation
>>

> in httpd.conf
>
> LoadModule negotiation_module libexec/apache2/mod_negotiation.so
>
> is uncommented.

>>> 10.15.7 updated last night.

Re: macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

Carlo Tambuatco

> On Feb 2, 2021, at 11:22 AM, Marius Schamschula <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK. It isn’t by default.
>
> Are you using extra/httpd-manual.conf, i.e. have it included from http.conf, or are you using the default settings?
>
> The only other thing I can think of is that somewhere in the /opt/local/www/apache2/manual path there are some incorrect permissions.

in httpd.conf I have:

# Local access to the Apache HTTP Server Manual
Include /private/etc/apache2/extra/httpd-manual.conf

and this is what my httpd-manual.conf looks like:

AliasMatch ^/manual(?:/(?:da|de|en|es|fr|ja|ko|pt-br|ru|tr|zh-cn))?(/.*)?$ "/Library/WebServer/share/httpd/manual$1"

<Directory "/Library/WebServer/share/httpd/manual">
    Options Indexes
    AllowOverride None
    Require all granted

    <Files *.html>
        SetHandler type-map
    </Files>

    # .tr is text/troff in mime.types!
    RemoveType tr

    # Traditionally, used .dk filename extension for da language
    AddLanguage da .da

    SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/manual/(da|de|en|es|fr|ja|ko|pt-br|ru|tr|zh-cn)/ prefer-language=$1
    RedirectMatch 301 ^/manual(?:/(da|de|en|es|fr|ja|ko|pt-br|ru|tr|zh-cn)){2,}(/.*)?$ /manual/$1$2

    # Reflect the greatest effort in translation (most content available),
    # inferring greater attention to detail (potentially false assumption,
    # counting translations presently in-sync would be more helpful.)
    # Use caution counting; safest pattern is '*.xml.XX'. Recent .xml source
    # document count: 266 214 110 94 82 25 22    18     4  1  1
    LanguagePriority   en  fr  ko ja tr es de zh-cn pt-br da ru
    ForceLanguagePriority Prefer Fallback
</Directory>

>> On Feb 2, 2021, at 10:16 AM, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Feb 2, 2021, at 11:10 AM, Marius Schamschula <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you check if all required modules are active?
>>>
>>> I just installed apache2 on a Catalina system. I couldn’t view the manual until I edited http.conf and enabled mod_negotiation
>>>

>> in httpd.conf
>>
>> LoadModule negotiation_module libexec/apache2/mod_negotiation.so
>>
>> is uncommented.

Re: macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

Marius Schamschula-3
The httpd-manual.conf you copied to your email differs from httpd-manual.conf.orig.

You might want to check that.

> On Feb 2, 2021, at 10:35 AM, Carlo Tambuatco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 2, 2021, at 11:22 AM, Marius Schamschula <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OK. It isn’t by default.
>>
>> Are you using extra/httpd-manual.conf, i.e. have it included from http.conf, or are you using the default settings?
>>
>> The only other thing I can think of is that somewhere in the /opt/local/www/apache2/manual path there are some incorrect permissions.
>
> in httpd.conf I have:
>
> # Local access to the Apache HTTP Server Manual
> Include /private/etc/apache2/extra/httpd-manual.conf
>
> and this is what my httpd-manual.conf looks like:
>

> AliasMatch ^/manual(?:/(?:da|de|en|es|fr|ja|ko|pt-br|ru|tr|zh-cn))?(/.*)?$ "/Library/WebServer/share/httpd/manual$1"
>
> <Directory "/Library/WebServer/share/httpd/manual">
>    Options Indexes
>    AllowOverride None
>    Require all granted
>
>    <Files *.html>
>        SetHandler type-map
>    </Files>
>
>    # .tr is text/troff in mime.types!
>    RemoveType tr
>
>    # Traditionally, used .dk filename extension for da language
>    AddLanguage da .da
>
>    SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/manual/(da|de|en|es|fr|ja|ko|pt-br|ru|tr|zh-cn)/ prefer-language=$1
>    RedirectMatch 301 ^/manual(?:/(da|de|en|es|fr|ja|ko|pt-br|ru|tr|zh-cn)){2,}(/.*)?$ /manual/$1$2
>
>    # Reflect the greatest effort in translation (most content available),
>    # inferring greater attention to detail (potentially false assumption,
>    # counting translations presently in-sync would be more helpful.)
>    # Use caution counting; safest pattern is '*.xml.XX'. Recent .xml source
>    # document count: 266 214 110 94 82 25 22    18     4  1  1
>    LanguagePriority   en  fr  ko ja tr es de zh-cn pt-br da ru
>    ForceLanguagePriority Prefer Fallback
> </Directory>

>>> in httpd.conf
>>>
>>> LoadModule negotiation_module libexec/apache2/mod_negotiation.so
>>>
>>> is uncommented.

Re: macOS security update has changed some permissions for apache2 server...?

Carlo Tambuatco
I’m an idiot.

The Directory directive I had was pointing to the wrong directory on my file system.

macOS clobbered the original and replaced it with some default value, and I didn’t even
notice.

It’s fixed now. Thanks for the help.