Quantcast

how to uninstall macport with OS conflict ?

fx

how to uninstall macport with OS conflict ?

fx
Hello guys!

I want to uninstall macport.
I'm currently running "darwin 16" (OSX Sierra) but my install of port is
"darwin 15" based.

This means I can not run the port command anymore:
Error: Current platform "darwin 16" does not match expected platform
"darwin 15"
Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration
instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
OS platform mismatch
     while executing
"mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform
mismatch

I didn't find usefull instructions for this case at
https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.uninstalling:
"If you need to uninstall MacPorts, and port is functioning, first ...."

But nothing about NOT having port functionning :)

The question is: How can I totally remove macport in this context ?

A huge thank-you!
Fixta.

Re: how to uninstall macport with OS conflict ?

Chris Jones

On 18/05/17 12:06, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello guys!
>
> I want to uninstall macport.
> I'm currently running "darwin 16" (OSX Sierra) but my install of port is
> "darwin 15" based.
>
> This means I can not run the port command anymore:
> Error: Current platform "darwin 16" does not match expected platform
> "darwin 15"
> Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration
> instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
> OS platform mismatch
>      while executing
> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform
> mismatch
>
> I didn't find usefull instructions for this case at
> https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.uninstalling:
> "If you need to uninstall MacPorts, and port is functioning, first ...."
>
> But nothing about NOT having port functionning :)
>
> The question is: How can I totally remove macport in this context ?

(carefully) run the 'rm -rf' command the above guide gives.

Re: how to uninstall macport with OS conflict ?

Clemens Lang-2

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 01:06:05PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> The question is: How can I totally remove macport in this context ?

Run the MacPorts installer for your new OS (yes, I know it's
counter-intuitive), then follow the uninstall instructions. It should
only take a couple of minutes if you use the installer and allow for
clean removal even if you had ports installed that install files outside
of /opt/local.

Clemens
db

On 19 May 2017, at 00:00, Clemens Lang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Run the MacPorts installer for your new OS (yes, I know it's counter-intuitive), then follow the uninstall instructions. It should only take a couple of minutes if you use the installer and allow for clean removal even if you had ports installed that install files outside of /opt/local.

I still haven't had this problem, but does running the installer for the current OS version uninstall the previous base and ports _and_ reinstall the requested ports? If not, as I presume, shouldn't it be an option?

Re: how to uninstall macport with OS conflict ?

Ryan Schmidt-24

> On May 19, 2017, at 04:13, db <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 19 May 2017, at 00:00, Clemens Lang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Run the MacPorts installer for your new OS (yes, I know it's counter-intuitive), then follow the uninstall instructions. It should only take a couple of minutes if you use the installer and allow for clean removal even if you had ports installed that install files outside of /opt/local.
>
> I still haven't had this problem, but does running the installer for the current OS version uninstall the previous base and ports _and_ reinstall the requested ports?

No. It installs the base files, and port "database", overwriting any that might already be there. It does nothing to your installed ports.

> If not, as I presume, shouldn't it be an option?

Any number of problems can occur while installing ports. The user needs to be in a position to see error messages, access log files, retry an installation. The installer is not a good environment for that to occur in. The user needs to do it in the terminal.