how to install a subport rather than the main port from a local Portfile not in a repository

how to install a subport rather than the main port from a local Portfile not in a repository

Ken Cunningham
Long title …

If you download a Portile into a folder, you can quickly install or work with it with “sudo port -v install”, You don’t specify the name, and the primary port in the local Portfile is used.

Is there a way to work with a subport contained in that Portfile in a similar fashion? Specifically, they want to access the -devel version subported in the Portfile.

I have described how to set up a repo using sources.conf (which is what i do), but I wondered if there is an easy way to do this.

Re: how to install a subport rather than the main port from a local Portfile not in a repository

Daniel J. Luke
On Jun 11, 2017, at 10:27 AM, Ken Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a way to work with a subport contained in that Portfile in a similar fashion? Specifically, they want to access the -devel version subported in the Portfile.

https://marc.info/?l=macports-dev&m=145150625426958&w=1

(add subport=foo to the end of your command to get subport foo).

I always forget this and end up needing to look it up - it should probably go on our wiki or FAQ somewhere.

--
Daniel J. Luke

Re: how to install a subport rather than the main port from a local Portfile not in a repository

Thanks! Sorry to ask a previously-answered question…

Ken

On 11 June 2017 at 16:27, Ken Cunningham wrote:
> Long title …
>
> If you download a Portile into a folder, you can quickly install or work with it with “sudo port -v install”, You don’t specify the name, and the primary port in the local Portfile is used.
>
> Is there a way to work with a subport contained in that Portfile in a similar fashion?

sudo port -v install subport=foo-devel

Re: Installing WINE

Ken Cunningham
Did this Very Big Problem with Wine64 on MacOS actually get fixed?

I don’t know the exact details myself (Ken is the expert), but the answer is that it does not work, and probably never will. OSX has a ABI incompatibility with Win64 - OSX overwrites a CPU register that Win64 applications expect to remain untouched. Apple can’t change the ABI because there are already 64 bit OSX apps that expect things to work that way. A potential workaround may be to run Wine inside a CPU emulator like qemu, but that is anything but easy.

Re: Installing WINE

Joshua Root-8
On 2017-6-12 02:52 , Ken Cunningham wrote:
> Did this Very Big Problem with Wine64 on MacOS actually get fixed?

> https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2014-February/103074.html
>

>> I don’t know the exact details myself (Ken is the expert), but the answer is that it does not work, and probably never will. OSX has a ABI incompatibility with Win64 - OSX overwrites a CPU register that Win64 applications expect to remain untouched. Apple can’t change the ABI because there are already 64 bit OSX apps that expect things to work that way. A potential workaround may be to run Wine inside a CPU emulator like qemu, but that is anything but easy.

Apparently so. <https://www.winehq.org/announce/2.0>

"64-bit applications are supported on macOS."

- Josh