fetching distfiles for p5.30-libapreq2 hanging or crashing macOS Big Sur

fetching distfiles for p5.30-libapreq2 hanging or crashing macOS Big Sur

Murray Eisenberg-2
I’m migrating MacPorts from Catalina to Big Sur (11.1), following the usual procedure (uninstalled all ports before upgrading; installed CLT for Xcode 12.3; installed base system for Big Sur).

I’ve successfully installed a number of ports, including perl5.30.

But now when I execute

sudo port install p5.30-libapreq2

and I get the response

---> Fetching distfiles for p5.30-libapreq2

either nothing happens for a long time (over 15 minutes) or else macOS crashes and automatically restarts!

How to fix this?

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

We believe it is a bug in macOS Big Sur. Please report it to Apple so that they fix it. Apparently the more duplicate reports Apple receives about a problem, the more important they consider fixing it.

Re: fetching distfiles for p5.30-libapreq2 hanging or crashing macOS Big Sur

Murray Eisenberg-2
I’ve reported the bug to Apple (apple.com/feedback).

Meanwhile, is there any workaround?

On Jan 27, 2021, at 12:02, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> I’ve reported the bug to Apple (apple.com/feedback).

Usually you should use Feedback Assistant (either the app, or http://feedbackassistant.apple.com). The app version will gather logs for you. If you file on the web, you probably have to gather and attach logs manually.

In this case, if you're talking about a kernel panic, attaching the panic log would surely be useful.

Read the ticket for my previous ideas on workarounds. https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61683

See https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61683#comment:16

Re: fetching distfiles for p5.30-libapreq2 hanging or crashing macOS Big Sur

Murray Eisenberg-2
In file

/opt/local/libexec/macports/lib/port1.0/fetch_common.tcl

I find NO line set max_hosts_to_ping
	set max_hosts_to_ping

max_hosts_to_pingcontrary to the comment https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2020-November/042592.html and https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61683#comment:16.

On Jan 27, 2021, at 15:20, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> In file
>
> /opt/local/libexec/macports/lib/port1.0/fetch_common.tcl
>
> I find NO line set max_hosts_to_ping
> set max_hosts_to_ping
>
> max_hosts_to_pingcontrary to the comment https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2020-November/042592.html and https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61683#comment:16.

I guess you missed the earlier step:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61683#comment:3

Re: fetching distfiles for p5.30-libapreq2 hanging or crashing macOS Big Sur

Murray Eisenberg-2
I don’t understand what it means to try using MacPorts master (2.6.99) instead. You’re assuming far more knowledge or experience than I possess!

Where on GitHub is that version? What do I do with it? If I install it, what happens to all the ports I already installed under Big Sur 11.1 using 2.6.4?

And the cited Comment 3 says that if that does not work, to set the number of simultaneous pings lower, which is what I’m trying to do. So is the cited line in file /opt/local/libexec/macports/lib/port1.0/fetch_common.tcl only for this 2.6.99?

On Jan 27, 2021, at 15:36, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> I don’t understand what it means to try using MacPorts master (2.6.99) instead. You’re assuming far more knowledge or experience than I possess!
>
> Where on GitHub is that version? What do I do with it? If I install it, what happens to all the ports I already installed under Big Sur 11.1 using 2.6.4?
>
> And the cited Comment 3 says that if that does not work, to set the number of simultaneous pings lower, which is what I’m trying to do. So is the cited line in file /opt/local/libexec/macports/lib/port1.0/fetch_common.tcl only for this 2.6.99?

Yes. The limit on the simultaneous number of pings was not added to MacPorts until after the currently released version 2.6.4.

2.6.99 (or anything .99) means the master in our repository.

Instructions for building master from source are in the guide:

https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.git

Nothing happens to your installed ports.

Re: fetching distfiles for p5.30-libapreq2 hanging or crashing macOS Big Sur

Murray Eisenberg-2
Ahh…that helps greatly, thank you!

I notice that most, or even all, of the commands given it the “2.2.3 Git install” directions at https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.git require that I use “sudo”, even though I’m on an admin account. For example, I had to do:

sudo mkdir -p /iopt/mports

and

sudo ./configure —enable-readline
sudo make

whereas the only commands listed in those directions indicate the need for sudo only in “sudo make install”.

Am I doing something wrong?

On Jan 27, 2021, at 15:55, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> Ahh…that helps greatly, thank you!
>
> I notice that most, or even all, of the commands given it the “2.2.3 Git install” directions at https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.git require that I use “sudo”, even though I’m on an admin account. For example, I had to do:
>
> sudo mkdir -p /iopt/mports
>
> and
>
> sudo ./configure —enable-readline
> sudo make
>
> whereas the only commands listed in those directions indicate the need for sudo only in “sudo make install”.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

On my system, /opt is a directory owned by root. Perhaps it is the same on your system. As such, yes, you need sudo to be able to create a file or directory inside it.

You could set the ownership of the directory that you create to yourself so that you can then perform further operations inside that directory as your user without sudo.

sudo mkdir /opt/mports
sudo chown yourusername /opt/mports
cd /opt/mports

You should not configure and make any software as root or with sudo. Use your own user account. Only use sudo to make install.

As the guide says, "For this example, /opt/mports will be used, but you can put the source anywhere." For example, you could create a directory inside your home directory, which would already be owned by you.

Re: fetching distfiles for p5.30-libapreq2 hanging or crashing macOS Big Sur

Murray Eisenberg-2
OK…I’ve seemingly overcome the Big Sur 11.1 crashes with p5.30-libapreq2 installation by installing MacPorts.

Unfortunately, to install  p5.30-libapreq2 requires installing mod_perl2 variant +perl5_30. But building the latter fails! See: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/62169

(That sinking feeling from getting deeper and deeper toward an abyss!)

On Jan 27, 2021, at 19:38, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> OK…I’ve seemingly overcome the Big Sur 11.1 crashes with p5.30-libapreq2 installation by installing MacPorts.
>
> Unfortunately, to install  p5.30-libapreq2 requires installing mod_perl2 variant +perl5_30. But building the latter fails! See: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/62169
>
> (That sinking feeling from getting deeper and deeper toward an abyss!)

Use the workaround I posted in https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61321#comment:6 -- run:

sudo port -ns upgrade --force apr

Then of course

sudo port clean mod_perl2

before trying to install mod_perl2 again.