cltversion error

tramir
Hi all,

This is the first time I’m writing to the list, so let me first thank the developers for such a great piece of software! And also a everyone on the list, I’ve been a consumer of information for the past few years and I learned quite a bit about macports and MacOS.

The reason for my cry for help is the following: for the past couple of months, I keep getting the following message whenever I run port, particularly port reclaim during the “Building list of distfiles still in use” step:

Warning: cltversion: For a possible fix, please see: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#reinstall-clt

I followed the instructions at the link, I also uninstalled and reinstalled Xcode, it keeps popping back up. I have two MacBook Pros and the same thing happens on both. Here is my setup:

MacPro 15,2
MacOS 10.15.5
MacPorts base version 2.6.2 (standard location, /opt/local)

I can confirm that the command line tools are installed in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools and that the 10.15 SDK is present in SDKs. Is there any thing I could do to get rid of this message, which is getting quite annoying? Any ideas why it might have started in the first place?

Thanks,
Mircea
--
Mircea Trandafir
Associate professor
Web: http://www.mirceatrandafir.com

Re: cltversion error

Christopher Jones
Hi,

Please run this, and check you get something similar

 > /usr/sbin/pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
package-id: com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
version: 11.5.0.0.1.1588476445
volume: /
location: /
install-time: 1591989507
groups: com.apple.FindSystemFiles.pkg-group

If you don’t, then you indeed have the issue the warning is referring to and you need to force reinstall the CLT

Chris

On 12 Jun 2020, at 8:10 pm, Mircea Trandafir <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: cltversion error

tramir
Thanks Chris for the quick reply. It is a bit weird, because:

> xcode-select -p
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

But:

> /usr/sbin/pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
No receipt for 'com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables' found at '/'.

I manually removed the CLT folder and reinstalled with:

> sudo xcode-select --install

> /usr/sbin/pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
package-id: com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
version: 11.5.0.0.1.1588476445
volume: /
location: /
install-time: 1591993420
groups: com.apple.FindSystemFiles.pkg-group

But I have no idea why it didn’t work/see the CLTs in the first place… Thanks again, hopefully this problem won’t pop back up.

Best,
Mircea
--

On 12 Jun 2020, at 10.06 PM, Christopher Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Please run this, and check you get something similar

 > /usr/sbin/pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
package-id: com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
version: 11.5.0.0.1.1588476445
volume: /
location: /
install-time: 1591989507
groups: com.apple.FindSystemFiles.pkg-group

If you don’t, then you indeed have the issue the warning is referring to and you need to force reinstall the CLT

Chris

On 12 Jun 2020, at 8:10 pm, Mircea Trandafir <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

This is the first time I’m writing to the list, so let me first thank the developers for such a great piece of software! And also a everyone on the list, I’ve been a consumer of information for the past few years and I learned quite a bit about macports and MacOS.

The reason for my cry for help is the following: for the past couple of months, I keep getting the following message whenever I run port, particularly port reclaim during the “Building list of distfiles still in use” step:

Warning: cltversion: For a possible fix, please see: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#reinstall-clt

I followed the instructions at the link, I also uninstalled and reinstalled Xcode, it keeps popping back up. I have two MacBook Pros and the same thing happens on both. Here is my setup:

MacPro 15,2
MacOS 10.15.5
MacPorts base version 2.6.2 (standard location, /opt/local)

I can confirm that the command line tools are installed in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools and that the 10.15 SDK is present in SDKs. Is there any thing I could do to get rid of this message, which is getting quite annoying? Any ideas why it might have started in the first place?

Thanks,
Mircea
--
Mircea Trandafir
Associate professor
Department of Business and Economics,
University of Southern Denmark
Campusvej 55, 5230 Odense M
Denmark
Web: http://www.mirceatrandafir.com

Re: cltversion error

Christopher Jones
Hi,

Glad I could help.

Don’t though bank on this not reoccurring…. Its been an issue through the lifetime of 10.15, and tends to reoccur on OS or Xcode upgrades. I believe there is a bug somewhere in that Apple removes the CLT package receipts but not the CLT itself.

One fix is to completely remove the CLT. Its actually not really needed anymore - Just having Xcode installed is enough.

cheers Chris

On 12 Jun 2020, at 9:30 pm, Mircea Trandafir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Warning: cltversion: For a possible fix, please see: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#reinstall-clt

I followed the instructions at the link, I also uninstalled and reinstalled Xcode, it keeps popping back up. I have two MacBook Pros and the same thing happens on both. Here is my setup:

MacPro 15,2
MacOS 10.15.5
MacPorts base version 2.6.2 (standard location, /opt/local)

I can confirm that the command line tools are installed in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools and that the 10.15 SDK is present in SDKs. Is there any thing I could do to get rid of this message, which is getting quite annoying? Any ideas why it might have started in the first place?

Hi again,

I actually went the other route, I removed Xcode and only installed the CLT. I thought it would help with this issue, but it seems not. Hopefully they’ll fix the bug soon.

Cheers,
Mircea
--

On 12 Jun 2020, at 10.35 PM, Christopher Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Warning: cltversion: For a possible fix, please see: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#reinstall-clt

I followed the instructions at the link, I also uninstalled and reinstalled Xcode, it keeps popping back up. I have two MacBook Pros and the same thing happens on both. Here is my setup:

MacPro 15,2
MacOS 10.15.5
MacPorts base version 2.6.2 (standard location, /opt/local)

I can confirm that the command line tools are installed in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools and that the 10.15 SDK is present in SDKs. Is there any thing I could do to get rid of this message, which is getting quite annoying? Any ideas why it might have started in the first place?

Apple have been (not so) slowly depreciating the CLT. I more expect to see it completely disappear in some future OS…

Chris