Quantcast

buildbot: +quartz ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

buildbot: +quartz ?

Craig Treleaven
I know that we would like to find a clean solution to building ports with non-default variants.  As an interim step, however, I wonder if we might consider a buildbot that is configured to default to “+quartz”?

It seems to me that X11/Quartz is one of the most common splits amongst our ports.  Some support both simultaneously but, with quite a few, they are conflicting variants.  If we had a buidbot that defaulted to +quartz, that would seem to permit test builds on a fair number of ports.  Even a single OS version (Sierra?) would be better than not having any coverage.

It think that this would be a relatively simple way to improve our buildbot coverage while a better long-term solution is sought.

Craig
(Second attempt to send; copying lists.macosforge.org address)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: buildbot: +quartz ?

Mojca Miklavec-2
On 4 March 2017 at 03:51, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> I know that we would like to find a clean solution to building ports with non-default variants.  As an interim step, however, I wonder if we might consider a buildbot that is configured to default to “+quartz”?

We don't even need a separate buildbot. Just a relatively simple
improvement to the existing buildbot.

See:
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52742

I suggested adding a field to allow manually specifying arbitrary
values for variants. But we would need some automatism as well.
Perhaps something like the following:

    If variant quartz exists, build the port once again, but this time
with '+quartz'

but covering all corner cases (when +x11 +quartz is allowed together
and when it is not ...).

Mojca
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: buildbot: +quartz ?

Ryan Schmidt-24
In reply to this post by Craig Treleaven

On Mar 3, 2017, at 20:51, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> (Second attempt to send; copying lists.macosforge.org address)

You don't need to do that. Just write to lists.macports.org. If you forget and write to the old lists.macosforge.org address instead, it will forward to lists.macports.org, provided you don't use SPF.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: buildbot: +quartz ?

Craig Treleaven
In reply to this post by Mojca Miklavec-2
> On Mar 3, 2017, at 10:26 PM, Mojca Miklavec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 4 March 2017 at 03:51, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> I know that we would like to find a clean solution to building ports with non-default variants.  As an interim step, however, I wonder if we might consider a buildbot that is configured to default to “+quartz”?
>
> We don't even need a separate buildbot. Just a relatively simple
> improvement to the existing buildbot.
>
> See:
>   https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52742
>
> I suggested adding a field to allow manually specifying arbitrary
> values for variants. But we would need some automatism as well.
> Perhaps something like the following:
>
>   If variant quartz exists, build the port once again, but this time
> with '+quartz'
>
> but covering all corner cases (when +x11 +quartz is allowed together
> and when it is not …).

If we use the existing buildbot instances, won’t they they try to upload built binaries to packages.macports.org?

In another ticket [1], you noted the problem where an indirect dependency must be built with +quartz.  This is why I felt a dedicated “PlusQuartz” buildbot might be a simple solution that we could get running quickly.

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40294

I note that there have been tickets about this practically since the buildbots were first implemented. I think it would be better to get a partial solution implemented now rather than spend more years waiting for perfection.  As they say: “Late answers are wrong answers."

Craig
(Second attempt to send; using lists.macports.org didn’t work.)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: buildbot: +quartz ?

Ryan Schmidt-24

> On Mar 4, 2017, at 08:10, Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 3, 2017, at 10:26 PM, Mojca Miklavec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 4 March 2017 at 03:51, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>> I know that we would like to find a clean solution to building ports with non-default variants.  As an interim step, however, I wonder if we might consider a buildbot that is configured to default to “+quartz”?
>>
>> We don't even need a separate buildbot. Just a relatively simple
>> improvement to the existing buildbot.
>>
>> See:
>>  https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52742
>>
>> I suggested adding a field to allow manually specifying arbitrary
>> values for variants. But we would need some automatism as well.
>> Perhaps something like the following:
>>
>>  If variant quartz exists, build the port once again, but this time
>> with '+quartz'
>>
>> but covering all corner cases (when +x11 +quartz is allowed together
>> and when it is not …).
>
> If we use the existing buildbot instances, won’t they they try to upload built binaries to packages.macports.org?

Of course. Isn't that what you're asking for? If not, why not?


> In another ticket [1], you noted the problem where an indirect dependency must be built with +quartz.

If a port is installed with a variant, MacPorts already correctly handles installing inactive dependencies with that same variant if they have that variant; it has for many years. (It doesn't reinstall active dependencies with that variant, but this won't be a problem on the buildbot because all ports are deactivated between builds.)

There could of course be a problem with ports that don't have a quartz variant that nevertheless build themselves differently depending on whether their dependencies are using a quartz variant or not. When we discover such problems, we should fix them by adding a quartz variant to such ports. And this problem exists whether or not we're building binary packages.


> This is why I felt a dedicated “PlusQuartz” buildbot might be a simple solution that we could get running quickly.
>
> [1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40294
>
> I note that there have been tickets about this practically since the buildbots were first implemented. I think it would be better to get a partial solution implemented now rather than spend more years waiting for perfection.  As they say: “Late answers are wrong answers."

As I recall, mpbb and our buildbot config are ready for building non-default variants. We just need to make a few further changes to tell portwatcher to schedule additional portbuilder builds with different variants, depending on certain criteria. We need to decide what those criteria are, then write the code to do that. For example, a criterion could be "if a port has a quartz variant, schedule another build with the quartz variant". Another useful criterion to help keep binaries of wine's dependencies up to date would be "if a port has a universal variant and a universal version of the port is currently installed on the buildbot, schedule another build with the universal variant".

On the other hand, nothing has been implemented for your separate quartz buildbot idea. You idea sounds like it would use a lot more (twice as many) server resources and be a lot more work to set up. I don't see any reason to go that route.


> Craig
> (Second attempt to send; using lists.macports.org didn’t work.)

What was the problem?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: buildbot: +quartz ?

Craig Treleaven
> On Mar 20, 2017, at 12:48 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>> On Mar 4, 2017, at 08:10, Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 3, 2017, at 10:26 PM, Mojca Miklavec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 4 March 2017 at 03:51, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>>> I know that we would like to find a clean solution to building ports with non-default variants.  As an interim step, however, I wonder if we might consider a buildbot that is configured to default to “+quartz”?
>>>
>>> We don't even need a separate buildbot. Just a relatively simple
>>> improvement to the existing buildbot.
>>>
>>> See:
>>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52742
>>>
>>> I suggested adding a field to allow manually specifying arbitrary
>>> values for variants. But we would need some automatism as well.
>>> Perhaps something like the following:
>>>
>>> If variant quartz exists, build the port once again, but this time
>>> with '+quartz'
>>>
>>> but covering all corner cases (when +x11 +quartz is allowed together
>>> and when it is not …).
>>
>> If we use the existing buildbot instances, won’t they they try to upload built binaries to packages.macports.org?
>
> Of course. Isn't that what you're asking for? If not, why not?
>
I didn’t think we were ready to serve pre-built binaries for non-default variants.  If we are, great.

I was working on darktable at that point.  I wanted to ensure that it would build successfully in a clean environment and ideally on other operating system versions.

>> Craig
>> (Second attempt to send; using lists.macports.org didn’t work.)
>
> What was the problem?
>
I still don’t know.  When I post (as [hidden email]), it sometimes goes through to the list and sometimes doesn’t.  I don’t know if other recipients get these emails or not.  I don’t get a bounce message or messages.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: buildbot: +quartz ?

pvr4me
In reply to this post by Ryan Schmidt-24
> On Mar 20, 2017, at 12:48 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>> On Mar 4, 2017, at 08:10, Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 3, 2017, at 10:26 PM, Mojca Miklavec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 4 March 2017 at 03:51, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>>> I know that we would like to find a clean solution to building ports with non-default variants.  As an interim step, however, I wonder if we might consider a buildbot that is configured to default to “+quartz”?
>>>
>>> We don't even need a separate buildbot. Just a relatively simple
>>> improvement to the existing buildbot.
>>>
>>> See:
>>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52742
>>>
>>> I suggested adding a field to allow manually specifying arbitrary
>>> values for variants. But we would need some automatism as well.
>>> Perhaps something like the following:
>>>
>>> If variant quartz exists, build the port once again, but this time
>>> with '+quartz'
>>>
>>> but covering all corner cases (when +x11 +quartz is allowed together
>>> and when it is not …).
>>
>> If we use the existing buildbot instances, won’t they they try to upload built binaries to packages.macports.org?
>
> Of course. Isn't that what you're asking for? If not, why not?
>
I didn’t think we were ready to serve pre-built binaries for non-default variants.  If we are, great.

I was working on darktable at that point.  I wanted to ensure that it would build successfully in a clean environment and ideally on other operating system versions.

>> Craig
>> (Second attempt to send; using lists.macports.org didn’t work.)
>
> What was the problem?
>
I still don’t know.  When I post (as [hidden email]), it sometimes goes through to the list and sometimes doesn’t.  I don’t know if other recipients get these emails or not.  I don’t get a bounce message.

Note that the above apparently did not make it to the list yesterday.  I’ve now re-subscribed to the mailing lists with my [hidden email] address; try to send again.

Craig

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: buildbot: +quartz ?

Brandon Allbery

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
I still don’t know.  When I post (as [hidden email]), it sometimes goes through to the list and sometimes doesn’t.  I don’t know if other recipients get these emails or not.  I don’t get a bounce message.

Note that the above apparently did not make it to the list yesterday.  I’ve now re-subscribed to the mailing lists with my [hidden email] address; try to send again.

It arrived here yesterday, for whatever it's worth.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
[hidden email]                                  [hidden email]
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net
Loading...