attach a diff or request a pull?

Jan Stary
There seem to be two way to send a patch to a port:

  1. create a ticket in trac and attach a diff
  2. create a pull request on github

Is any of the two preferred by the MP developers?

        Jan

Re: attach a diff or request a pull?

Ryan Schmidt-24

On Jul 1, 2017, at 09:01, Jan Stary wrote:

> There seem to be two way to send a patch to a port:
>
>  1. create a ticket in trac and attach a diff
>  2. create a pull request on github
>
> Is any of the two preferred by the MP developers?

I would say to whatever you're most comfortable with. I personally deal better with patchfiles, but most other developers are probably happy with pull requests too.

Re: attach a diff or request a pull?

Mojca Miklavec-2
On 1 July 2017 at 18:01, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2017, at 09:01, Jan Stary wrote:
>
>> There seem to be two way to send a patch to a port:
>>
>>  1. create a ticket in trac and attach a diff
>>  2. create a pull request on github
>>
>> Is any of the two preferred by the MP developers?
>
> I would say to whatever you're most comfortable with. I personally deal better with patchfiles, but most other developers are probably happy with pull requests too.

One advantage of a pull request is that there's now an automated build
running after you submit it and it's slightly easier to discuss the
code line-by-line when needed.

And that there are currently slightly above 30 open pull requests,
while there are thousands open trac tickets, so PRs probably get
slightly more visibility.

But either option is fine and if you don't get feedback in 3 days, you
can ask on the mailing list to get more attention.

Re: attach a diff or request a pull?

Chris Jones

> On 1 Jul 2017, at 3:01 pm, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There seem to be two way to send a patch to a port:
>
>  1. create a ticket in trac and attach a diff
>  2. create a pull request on github
>
> Is any of the two preferred by the MP developers?

The second for me, by far.

Chris

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

On Jul 01 19:12:32, [hidden email] wrote:
> >  1. create a ticket in trac and attach a diff
> >  2. create a pull request on github
> The second for me, by far.

Pull request it is than, thanks.

        Jan

Re: attach a diff or request a pull?

Dave Horsfall
So is there a Big Dummies Guide to Git or something?  I started life with
SCCS, moved to RCS, and seen plenty of others since.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."