Whether to add "by: committer" label?

Zero King-2
Hi,

The "by: committer" label only provides extra information if the PR
sender is a committer but the port maintainer is not because the port
maintainer can only see the Member label on public members of the
macports organization (18 public, 65 total).

This is a trivial use case and if all our committers set this visibility
to public, the label would be useless. So, should I add it to the PR bot
or simply ask our members to make their membership public?

--
Best regards,
Zero King

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Whether to add "by: committer" label?

Mojca Miklavec-2
Dear Zero King,

On 27 July 2017 at 06:13, Zero King wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The "by: committer" label only provides extra information if the PR
> sender is a committer but the port maintainer is not because the port
> maintainer can only see the Member label on public members of the
> macports organization (18 public, 65 total).
>
> This is a trivial use case and if all our committers set this visibility
> to public, the label would be useless. So, should I add it to the PR bot
> or simply ask our members to make their membership public?

I already suggested at the beginning that this piece of information
would be useful even if it provides slightly "duplicate" data.
Personally I would like to see that label (but have no strong opinion
in case other people object).

Another thought: you could also add some special mark (it could be
just a single character if needed) to distinguish committers from
non-committers when mentioning maintainers.

I was also thinking of mentioning the email part in front of '@' for
those maintainers without a known GitHub handle.

Something along those lines:

~~~
Notifying maintainers:
@maintainerA (*) for port foo. # (*) stands for committer
@maintainerB for port bar and baz.

Other maintainers:
* joe.doe for port moo.
* macports:handle for port boo.
(If you are one of them or if you know GitHub handles for these
maintainers, please follow
[link-to-wiki-explaining-the-(need-for-the)-change].)
~~~

This will also automate comments like this one of yours:
- https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/628

Since you have access to database of maintainers, you could
potentially also explicitly say that github handle for one particular
maintainer is missing (and you know it already), but that's not worth
implementing (if that gets implemented, the changes better get
committed right away).

Re: Whether to add "by: committer" label?

Rainer Müller-4
On 2017-07-27 16:14, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 27 July 2017 at 06:13, Zero King wrote:
>> The "by: committer" label only provides extra information if the PR
>> sender is a committer but the port maintainer is not because the port
>> maintainer can only see the Member label on public members of the
>> macports organization (18 public, 65 total).

We used "committer" for our Subversion repository, but please follow the
GitHub terminology and use "member" instead of another term for the same
thing. (I know the old term is still used in the guide, though.)

>> This is a trivial use case and if all our committers set this visibility
>> to public, the label would be useless. So, should I add it to the PR bot
>> or simply ask our members to make their membership public?
>
> I already suggested at the beginning that this piece of information
> would be useful even if it provides slightly "duplicate" data.
> Personally I would like to see that label (but have no strong opinion
> in case other people object).

We cannot enforce members to set the visibility to public and should not
spend too much energy on telling everyone to do so.

I think such a label could be useful.