What's the difference between macports docker port and docker.com's docker?

What's the difference between macports docker port and docker.com's docker?

Carlo Tambuatco
Macports docker port, aka The Moby project...is upstream of the official Docker, so...

I guess I'm asking is there anything Docker can do that macports docker can't do?

Re: What's the difference between macports docker port and docker.com's docker?

Rainer Müller-4
On 02.11.18 19:25, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
> Macports docker port, aka The Moby project...is upstream of the official
> Docker, so...
>
> I guess I'm asking is there anything Docker can do that macports docker
> can't do?

Not sure I understand the question, because for every software that
MacPorts provides there is an upstream project. MacPorts is merely
packaging software developed by the corresponding upstream projects.

If the software in question is completely open source, the software
distributed in MacPorts will usually offer exactly the same
functionality as distributed elsewhere.

Re: What's the difference between macports docker port and docker.com's docker?

Ryan Schmidt-24

On Nov 3, 2018, at 09:48, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 02.11.18 19:25, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
>> Macports docker port, aka The Moby project...is upstream of the official
>> Docker, so...
>>
>> I guess I'm asking is there anything Docker can do that macports docker
>> can't do?
>
> Not sure I understand the question, because for every software that
> MacPorts provides there is an upstream project. MacPorts is merely
> packaging software developed by the corresponding upstream projects.
>
> If the software in question is completely open source, the software
> distributed in MacPorts will usually offer exactly the same
> functionality as distributed elsewhere.

I think he's asking about the confusion arising from the fact that the open-source components of the commercial software known as Docker were renamed to Moby.

https://blog.docker.com/2017/04/introducing-the-moby-project/

I don't know much about the MacPorts docker port, but I can only assume that we have always provided the open-source components. When they were called "docker", we provided that; now that they are called "moby", we provide that.

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/0f5eea11174bd88fa96ff6f653214af6ff07ad54

I do not know what the differences are between the open-source software now known as Moby and the commercial software offered by docker.com. You'll have to ask them or Google.