WebKit opengl

Nagendra K
Hi All,

Current build of WebKit using opengl and with custom port, all apps will directly use the opengl calls to draw, making the opengl independent of WebKit.
So if I upgrade the WebKit, will the latest WebKit require opengl for any of the new features or can we use opengl delinking WebKit.

Thanks and Regards,
Nagendra

Re: WebKit opengl

Dean Jackson-7

> On 19 Jul 2017, at 12:21, Nagendra K <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Current build of WebKit using opengl and with custom port, all apps will directly use the opengl calls to draw, making the opengl independent of WebKit.
> So if I upgrade the WebKit, will the latest WebKit require opengl for any of the new features or can we use opengl delinking WebKit.

I don't understand what you are asking, sorry.

It's possible to make a port of WebKit that doesn't rely on OpenGL. I think the Windows port is one example. Technically Apple's iOS/macOS ports only directly require OpenGL for WebGL support.

Dean

Re: WebKit opengl

Nagendra K
Hi Dean,

Thanks for the reply.
I actually have a embedded device with opengl es 1.1 and WebKit which is 7 years old, now requirement is to update the WebKit using the same opengles1.1 i.e. no option to update opengles1.1.
So as you said we need opengles2 or opengl4 to upgrade WebKit as WebKit has dependencies with opengl for some features. Is this correct?
Do I any other option to do this.

Thanks and Regards,
Nagendra

On 1 Aug 2017 19:12, "Dean Jackson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2017, at 12:21, Nagendra K <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Current build of WebKit using opengl and with custom port, all apps will directly use the opengl calls to draw, making the opengl independent of WebKit.
> So if I upgrade the WebKit, will the latest WebKit require opengl for any of the new features or can we use opengl delinking WebKit.

I don't understand what you are asking, sorry.

It's possible to make a port of WebKit that doesn't rely on OpenGL. I think the Windows port is one example. Technically Apple's iOS/macOS ports only directly require OpenGL for WebGL support.

Dean

Re: WebKit opengl

Konstantin Tokarev

01.08.2017, 23:14, "Nagendra K" <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Dean,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> I actually have a embedded device with opengl es 1.1 and WebKit which is 7 years old, now requirement is to update the WebKit using the same opengles1.1 i.e. no option to update opengles1.1.

I bet your old WebKit was built without use of any OpenGL-dependent code

> So as you said we need opengles2 or opengl4 to upgrade WebKit as WebKit has dependencies with opengl for some features. Is this correct?
> Do I any other option to do this.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Nagendra
>
> On 1 Aug 2017 19:12, "Dean Jackson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On 19 Jul 2017, at 12:21, Nagendra K <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Current build of WebKit using opengl and with custom port, all apps will directly use the opengl calls to draw, making the opengl independent of WebKit.
>>> So if I upgrade the WebKit, will the latest WebKit require opengl for any of the new features or can we use opengl delinking WebKit.
>>
>> I don't understand what you are asking, sorry.
>>
>> It's possible to make a port of WebKit that doesn't rely on OpenGL. I think the Windows port is one example. Technically Apple's iOS/macOS ports only directly require OpenGL for WebGL support.
>>
>> Dean
> ,

Konstantin

Re: WebKit opengl

Michael Catanzaro
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Nagendra K <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dean,

Thanks for the reply.
I actually have a embedded device with opengl es 1.1 and WebKit which is 7 years old, now requirement is to update the WebKit using the same opengles1.1 i.e. no option to update opengles1.1.
So as you said we need opengles2 or opengl4 to upgrade WebKit as WebKit has dependencies with opengl for some features. Is this correct?
Do I any other option to do this.

Thanks and Regards,
Nagendra

Hi Nagendra,

You are not going to get WebKit working with OpenGLES 1.1 unless you have an experienced engineer making large modifications to the source code. Instead, you should just turn off OpenGL/OpenGLES support. Just build with -DENABLE_OPENGL=OFF. It is optional, you just lose hardware acceleration. You should hopefully have no trouble with this.

If you have a requirement to use OpenGLES regardless, then you may need to reevaluate the feasibility of your project.

Good luck,

Michael

Re: WebKit opengl

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri-4
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Michael Catanzaro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Nagendra K <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dean,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> I actually have a embedded device with opengl es 1.1 and WebKit which is 7 years old, now requirement is to update the WebKit using the same opengles1.1 i.e. no option to update opengles1.1.
> So as you said we need opengles2 or opengl4 to upgrade WebKit as WebKit has dependencies with opengl for some features. Is this correct?
> Do I any other option to do this.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Nagendra
>

> Hi Nagendra,
>
> You are not going to get WebKit working with OpenGLES 1.1 unless you have an experienced engineer making large modifications to the source code. Instead, you should just turn off OpenGL/OpenGLES support. Just build with -DENABLE_OPENGL=OFF. It is optional, you just lose hardware acceleration. You should hopefully have no trouble with this.
>
> If you have a requirement to use OpenGLES regardless, then you may need to reevaluate the feasibility of your project.

Indeed... we did such port for a customer based on WebKit-EFL (now
out-of-tree) and it worked, but was a major pain to get there due
CoordinatedGraphics and TextureMapper being heavy on GL calls...
however in our case it was software rendering only, no GL at all.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems

Re: WebKit opengl

pulkomandy

>> You are not going to get WebKit working with OpenGLES 1.1 unless you have an experienced engineer making large modifications to the source code. Instead, you should just turn off OpenGL/OpenGLES support. Just build with -DENABLE_OPENGL=OFF. It is optional, you just lose hardware acceleration. You should hopefully have no trouble with this.
>>
>> If you have a requirement to use OpenGLES regardless, then you may need to reevaluate the feasibility of your project.
>
> Indeed... we did such port for a customer based on WebKit-EFL (now
> out-of-tree) and it worked, but was a major pain to get there due
> CoordinatedGraphics and TextureMapper being heavy on GL calls...
> however in our case it was software rendering only, no GL at all.

The Haiku port also uses no OpenGL. I have versions of
CoordinatedGraphics and TextureMapper extracted from old verisons of
WebKit which I maintain with the port (TextureMapperImageBuffer is the
entry point for that):
https://github.com/haiku/webkit/blob/rebased/Source/WebCore/platform/graphics/texmap/TextureMapperImageBuffer.cpp

The commit which restores this may serve as a reference (but may not
apply directly to current sources):
https://github.com/haiku/webkit/commit/966df671f60cc716233952c5e80c5fd52d6ce785

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy