Upgrade to Sierra from Mavericks

Mannucci, Anthony J (335G)
I want to report an apparently smooth upgrade of macports when I upgraded my OS to Sierra from Mavericks.

I tried to follow the instructions exactly, and found some minor issues:
1) The lack of a gfortran meant that install errors were found using the restore_ports.tcl script.
2) I manually installed gcc49 which created gfortran (almost).
3) I had to manually softlink the commands “gcc” and “gfortran” to the versions found in /opt/local/bin. Then “gcc" and “gfortran" were on my path.
3) I tested it by installing Atlas first, which worked.
4) The restore_ports.tcl reported the error below. It does not seem to have propagated to anything else. Further testing of the ports will reveal if there are any issues.

Instructions for installing command line tools of Xcode can be found here: http://railsapps.github.io/xcode-command-line-tools.html.
Just issue the command
xcode-select —install.

Part of the install output:
--->  Cleaning bzip2
--->  Fetching distfiles for cctools-headers
--->  Verifying checksums for cctools-headers
--->  Extracting cctools-headers
--->  Configuring cctools-headers
Error: cctools-headers has been replaced by libmacho-headers; please install that instead.
Error: Failed to configure cctools-headers: obsolete port
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_cctools-headers/cctools-headers/main.log for details.
--->  Cleaning cmsvlib
Etc.

Thanks to the community for an overall smooth and successful process.

Tony

Re: Upgrade to Sierra from Mavericks

Ryan Schmidt-24

> On Mar 12, 2017, at 13:05, Mannucci, Anthony J (335G) wrote:
>
> I want to report an apparently smooth upgrade of macports when I upgraded my OS to Sierra from Mavericks.

Glad to hear it!

> I tried to follow the instructions exactly, and found some minor issues:
> 1) The lack of a gfortran meant that install errors were found using the restore_ports.tcl script.
> 2) I manually installed gcc49 which created gfortran (almost).

That's a very old version of gcc. The latest stable version is gcc6; I recommend using that instead.

> 3) I had to manually softlink the commands “gcc” and “gfortran” to the versions found in /opt/local/bin. Then “gcc" and “gfortran" were on my path.

Ok, but you're not meant to have to do that manually. Use "sudo port select gcc" to do it for you.

> 3) I tested it by installing Atlas first, which worked.
> 4) The restore_ports.tcl reported the error below. It does not seem to have propagated to anything else. Further testing of the ports will reveal if there are any issues.
>
> Instructions for installing command line tools of Xcode can be found here: [snipped non-official URL]

They can also be found in MacPorts documentation, and probably on Apple's web site somewhere.

> Just issue the command
> xcode-select —install.
>
> Part of the install output:
> --->  Cleaning bzip2
> --->  Fetching distfiles for cctools-headers
> --->  Verifying checksums for cctools-headers
> --->  Extracting cctools-headers
> --->  Configuring cctools-headers
> Error: cctools-headers has been replaced by libmacho-headers; please install that instead.
> Error: Failed to configure cctools-headers: obsolete port
> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_cctools-headers/cctools-headers/main.log for details.
> --->  Cleaning cmsvlib
> Etc.

cctools-headers is obsolete. Uninstall it / remove it from the list of ports that you're instructing MacPorts to reinstall.

Re: Upgrade to Sierra from Mavericks

David Strubbe-3
Can you explain more what you mean by this?

1) The lack of a gfortran meant that install errors were found using the restore_ports.tcl script.

I don't think there should be any port which tries to build using an executable called "gfortran". A port such as gcc49 installs gfortran-mp-4.9.

David

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2017, at 13:05, Mannucci, Anthony J (335G) wrote:
>
> I want to report an apparently smooth upgrade of macports when I upgraded my OS to Sierra from Mavericks.

Glad to hear it!

> I tried to follow the instructions exactly, and found some minor issues:
> 1) The lack of a gfortran meant that install errors were found using the restore_ports.tcl script.
> 2) I manually installed gcc49 which created gfortran (almost).

That's a very old version of gcc. The latest stable version is gcc6; I recommend using that instead.

> 3) I had to manually softlink the commands “gcc” and “gfortran” to the versions found in /opt/local/bin. Then “gcc" and “gfortran" were on my path.

Ok, but you're not meant to have to do that manually. Use "sudo port select gcc" to do it for you.

> 3) I tested it by installing Atlas first, which worked.
> 4) The restore_ports.tcl reported the error below. It does not seem to have propagated to anything else. Further testing of the ports will reveal if there are any issues.
>
> Instructions for installing command line tools of Xcode can be found here: [snipped non-official URL]

They can also be found in MacPorts documentation, and probably on Apple's web site somewhere.

> Just issue the command
> xcode-select —install.
>
> Part of the install output:
> --->  Cleaning bzip2
> --->  Fetching distfiles for cctools-headers
> --->  Verifying checksums for cctools-headers
> --->  Extracting cctools-headers
> --->  Configuring cctools-headers
> Error: cctools-headers has been replaced by libmacho-headers; please install that instead.
> Error: Failed to configure cctools-headers: obsolete port
> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_cctools-headers/cctools-headers/main.log for details.
> --->  Cleaning cmsvlib
> Etc.

cctools-headers is obsolete. Uninstall it / remove it from the list of ports that you're instructing MacPorts to reinstall.

Re: Upgrade to Sierra from Mavericks

Mannucci, Anthony J (335G)
David,

I did not save which port wanted gfortran. Sorry. Before one executes “port select gcc” there is no executable named “gfortran”. The executables have specific version names. One of the ports was expecting the generic name “gfortran”.

-Tony

--
Tony Mannucci
Supervisor, Ionospheric and Atmospheric Remote Sensing Group

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of David Strubbe <[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 8:15 PM
To: Tony Mannucci <[hidden email]>
Cc: MacPorts Users <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Upgrade to Sierra from Mavericks

On Mar 13, 2017, at 09:53, Mannucci, Anthony J wrote:

> I did not save which port wanted gfortran. Sorry. Before one executes “port select gcc” there is no executable named “gfortran”. The executables have specific version names.

That's correct.

> One of the ports was expecting the generic name “gfortran”.

Then that port is faulty and should be fixed.