Unable to install devel/bazaar using base from release_1_6 branch, OK with MacPorts 1.5.2

Unable to install devel/bazaar using base from release_1_6 branch, OK with MacPorts 1.5.2

Adam Mercer-2
Hi

I've been trying to install the devel/bazaar port using base from the
release_1_6 branch but the port fails on installation.  However If I
use the 1.5.2 release of base then devel/bazaar installs without
issue. In ticket #13042 [1] the ports maintainer has noticed that the
build environment is not being correctly set when using base from the
release_1_6 branch, e.g.:

DEBUG: Executing org.macports.build (bazaar)
DEBUG: Environment:

whereas using 1.5.2:

DEBUG: Executing org.macports.build (bazaar)
DEBUG: Environment: CFLAGS='-g -O2 -Wall -fno-strict-aliasing
-I'/opt/local/include' -L'/opt/local/lib' -lintl -lneon -lgpgme -lpth'

does anyone know why base from release_1_6 branch is not setting the
build environment correctly?

Cheers

Adam

[1] http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/13042

Re: Unable to install devel/bazaar using base from release_1_6 branch, OK with MacPorts 1.5.2

Juan Manuel Palacios-2

On Dec 7, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Adam Mercer wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been trying to install the devel/bazaar port using base from the
> release_1_6 branch but the port fails on installation.  However If I
> use the 1.5.2 release of base then devel/bazaar installs without
> issue. In ticket #13042 [1] the ports maintainer has noticed that the
> build environment is not being correctly set when using base from the
> release_1_6 branch, e.g.:
>
> DEBUG: Executing org.macports.build (bazaar)
> DEBUG: Environment:
>
> whereas using 1.5.2:
>
> DEBUG: Executing org.macports.build (bazaar)
> DEBUG: Environment: CFLAGS='-g -O2 -Wall -fno-strict-aliasing
> -I'/opt/local/include' -L'/opt/local/lib' -lintl -lneon -lgpgme -lpth'
>
> does anyone know why base from release_1_6 branch is not setting the
> build environment correctly?

        This seems like a regression we should definitely fix before 1.6.0,
I'll try looking into it.

        Thanks for the report! Regards,...

-jmpp

> Cheers
>
> Adam
>
> [1] http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/13042

Re: Unable to install devel/bazaar using base from release_1_6 branch, OK with MacPorts 1.5.2

Juan Manuel Palacios-2

On Dec 7, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Adam Mercer wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been trying to install the devel/bazaar port using base from the
> release_1_6 branch but the port fails on installation.  However If I
> use the 1.5.2 release of base then devel/bazaar installs without
> issue. In ticket #13042 [1] the ports maintainer has noticed that the
> build environment is not being correctly set when using base from the
> release_1_6 branch, e.g.:
>
> DEBUG: Executing org.macports.build (bazaar)
> DEBUG: Environment:
>
> whereas using 1.5.2:
>
> DEBUG: Executing org.macports.build (bazaar)
> DEBUG: Environment: CFLAGS='-g -O2 -Wall -fno-strict-aliasing
> -I'/opt/local/include' -L'/opt/local/lib' -lintl -lneon -lgpgme -lpth'
>
> does anyone know why base from release_1_6 branch is not setting the
> build environment correctly?
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

        Take a look at r31808 which I just committed, it turned out to be a
bug in the way the Portfile was declaring its environment requirements:

Correct erroneous quoting in environment variables passed to
MacPorts. These we written with nested quoting
as, e.g, "-L'${prefix}/lib'", but ever since Paul reworked our
environemt parser back in 1.4.x days and then
Anders fixed a bug in the new parser in r30273 (which happened after
the 1.5.2 release), the '' subquoting
level is illegal. Now a simple "-L${prefix}/lib", or even -L${prefix}/
lib without any quoting at all, suffices.

This commit fixes building and destrooting of bazaar per Adam Mercer
(ram)'s bug on the dev list. It turned out
to not be a regression with respect to 1.5.s as I anticipated, but
rather and improper declaration of the environment,
which only worked back in 1.5.2 days as a side effect of the bug
Anders fixed in r30273, if I'm not mistaken.

        Mark, would it be possible to have this (guidelines for proper
environment declarations within a Portfile) documented somewhere in
the guide? Thanks!

        Regards,...

-jmpp