Quantcast

Trouble upgrading Macports to Sierra

Barrie Stott
I recently installed Sierra and am now coming to migrating my MacPorts ports using https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration. Steps 1 and 2 seemed ok but step 3 failed  with the following information:

gbs:macports $ port -qv installed > myports.txt
Error: Current platform "darwin 16" does not match expected platform "darwin 15"
Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform mismatch
gbs:macports $

I put the error message about “darwin 16” into google and was given the following:

The error is explaining very well what is happening and the recommendation is to visit the Migration website for further instructions.
My recommendation (and tested of course) is to just download the latest macports, the Sierra version and install it.

I am happy to try this but I would prefer suggestions to come from  Macports folk. If anyone can help I’d be very grateful. I presume that I would use ‘sudo port selfupdate’.

Barrie.

Re: Trouble upgrading Macports to Sierra

Chris Jones
Hi,

On 30/03/17 16:32, Barrie Stott wrote:

> I recently installed Sierra and am now coming to migrating my MacPorts ports using https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration. Steps 1 and 2 seemed ok but step 3 failed  with the following information:
>
> gbs:macports $ port -qv installed > myports.txt
> Error: Current platform "darwin 16" does not match expected platform "darwin 15"
> Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform mismatch
> gbs:macports $
>

> I put the error message about “darwin 16” into google and was given the following:
>
> The error is explaining very well what is happening and the recommendation is to visit the Migration website for further instructions.
> My recommendation (and tested of course) is to just download the latest macports, the Sierra version and install it.
>

> I am happy to try this but I would prefer suggestions to come from  Macports folk. If anyone can help I’d be very grateful. I presume that I would use ‘sudo port selfupdate’.

Step 2 of the guide says

     Reinstall MacPorts base

     After updating the development tools, install the base MacPorts
system for your new platform, either from the appropriate installer or
from source.

This step is before the one where you are asked to run

  port -qv installed > myports.txt

So yes, you should do this.

No, do not do 'selfupdate' but as the above says, either use the
installer or build from source.

Chris

On 30 Mar 2017, at 16:38, Chris Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 30/03/17 16:32, Barrie Stott wrote:
>> I recently installed Sierra and am now coming to migrating my MacPorts ports using https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration. Steps 1 and 2 seemed ok but step 3 failed  with the following information:
>>
>> gbs:macports $ port -qv installed > myports.txt
>> Error: Current platform "darwin 16" does not match expected platform "darwin 15"
>> Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform mismatch
>> gbs:macports $
>>

>> I put the error message about “darwin 16” into google and was given the following:
>>
>> The error is explaining very well what is happening and the recommendation is to visit the Migration website for further instructions.
>> My recommendation (and tested of course) is to just download the latest macports, the Sierra version and install it.
>>

>> I am happy to try this but I would prefer suggestions to come from  Macports folk. If anyone can help I’d be very grateful. I presume that I would use ‘sudo port selfupdate’.
>
> Step 2 of the guide says
>
>    Reinstall MacPorts base
>
>    After updating the development tools, install the base MacPorts system for your new platform, either from the appropriate installer or from source.
>

> This step is before the one where you are asked to run
>
> port -qv installed > myports.txt
>
> So yes, you should do this.
>
> No, do not do 'selfupdate' but as the above says, either use the installer or build from source.
>
> Chris
>

>> Barrie.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Chris. It’s a pity I couldn’t use ‘selfupdate’ because it appeared to be just what I wanted. Still, I used the pkg installer for Sierra and it was reasonably painless. Now I’m on to reinstalling all my packages. Thanks again. No reply needed.

Barrie.

Re: Trouble upgrading Macports to Sierra

Brandon Allbery

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Barrie Stott <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the speedy reply, Chris. It’s a pity I couldn’t use ‘selfupdate’ because it appeared to be just what I wanted. Still, I used the pkg installer for Sierra and it was reasonably painless. Now I’m on to reinstalling all my packages. Thanks again. No reply needed.

The problem with selfupdate is it (a) won't add any new dependencies because e.g. some library formerly provided by Apple went away or became incompatible (b) likely won't even start up if that's the case, but crash immediately with a missing library error. You need to start fresh with a base that knows about the peculiarities of the new OS release, which means updating via the installer.

Re: Trouble upgrading Macports to Sierra

Stephen Langer-2
This reminds me of something I’ve been wondering about.  Why do the migration instructions recommend explicitly reinstalling all previously installed ports, and then optionally marking the previously requested ports as “requested”?   Isn’t it simpler to explicitly reinstall only the previously requested ports, and let macports figure out the dependencies?  That way, if the dependencies have changed you only are reinstalling the necessary ports and there’s no need to fiddle with the requested status afterwards.

-- Steve

From: macports-users <[hidden email]> on behalf of Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 1:33 PM
To: Barrie Stott <[hidden email]>
Cc: macports-users <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Trouble upgrading Macports to Sierra

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Langer, Stephen A. (Fed) <[hidden email]> wrote:
This reminds me of something I’ve been wondering about.  Why do the migration instructions recommend explicitly reinstalling all previously installed ports, and then optionally marking the previously requested ports as “requested”?   Isn’t it simpler to explicitly reinstall only the previously requested ports, and let macports figure out the dependencies?  That way, if the dependencies have changed you only are reinstalling the necessary ports and there’s no need to fiddle with the requested status afterwards.

That will usually work --- but not always. Often this is because of buggy dependencies in Portfiles; the only reliable way to catch them is to always build in trace mode, but that's painfully slow.

Re: Trouble upgrading Macports to Sierra

Chris Jones

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 6:02 pm, Barrie Stott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 30 Mar 2017, at 16:38, Chris Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 30/03/17 16:32, Barrie Stott wrote:
>>> I recently installed Sierra and am now coming to migrating my MacPorts ports using https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration. Steps 1 and 2 seemed ok but step 3 failed  with the following information:
>>>
>>> gbs:macports $ port -qv installed > myports.txt
>>> Error: Current platform "darwin 16" does not match expected platform "darwin 15"
>>> Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>>> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform mismatch
>>> gbs:macports $
>>>

>>> I put the error message about “darwin 16” into google and was given the following:
>>>
>>> The error is explaining very well what is happening and the recommendation is to visit the Migration website for further instructions.
>>> My recommendation (and tested of course) is to just download the latest macports, the Sierra version and install it.
>>>

>>> I am happy to try this but I would prefer suggestions to come from  Macports folk. If anyone can help I’d be very grateful. I presume that I would use ‘sudo port selfupdate’.
>>
>> Step 2 of the guide says
>>
>>   Reinstall MacPorts base
>>
>>   After updating the development tools, install the base MacPorts system for your new platform, either from the appropriate installer or from source.
>>

>> This step is before the one where you are asked to run
>>
>> port -qv installed > myports.txt
>>
>> So yes, you should do this.
>>
>> No, do not do 'selfupdate' but as the above says, either use the installer or build from source.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>>> Barrie.
>>>

> Thanks for the speedy reply, Chris. It’s a pity I couldn’t use ‘selfupdate’ because it appeared to be just what I wanted. Still, I used the pkg installer for Sierra and it was reasonably painless. Now I’m on to reinstalling all my packages. Thanks again. No reply needed.

Glad i could help.

Selfuodate  is for updating macports when a new release is available. This is not the same thing as rebuilding the same release for a different OS version. So no, selfupdate is not what you want here.

Chris