Tiger Virtual Machine on VirtualBox

Kenneth F. Cunningham
I know some of you are interested in such things, at times… debugging MacPorts, trying out a port, etc.

A Tiger VM more or less works, with a few touchy parts that may or may not improve over time, on the current version of VirtualBox.

I find the hard disk driver to be a bit flaky and require a few resets to get it to work, but it does work, in the end.

Re: Tiger Virtual Machine on VirtualBox

Kenneth F. Cunningham
A few tidbits to make life much easier for anyone who wants to try MacPorts on a TigerVM.

Last XCode for Tiger was 2.5.
Tiger’s Safari is pretty useless due to security inadequacies, but TenFourFox-G3 version runs passably well under Rosetta, and connects to current https websites. There is no Intel version.

I suggest you install Macports-2.4.1 from source, rather than use the installer for 2.3.3 that is on the website.

To get past the security hiccups with MacPorts, one tested method is to install a “bootstrap” copy of Macports into something like /opt/bootstrap, to install curl into.
The command to configure that from the source directory is
./configure —prefix=/opt/bootstrap —with-applications-dir=/opt/bootstrap/Applications

Once that is done, install curl into that
sudo /opt/bootstrap/bin/port -v install curl

Then install your working macports copy from source again, into the default location, referencing the curl in /opt/bootstrap to give you a modern ssl setup.
The command to configure that from the source directory is
./configure —with-curlprex=/opt/bootstrap/

Set up your MacPorts path as per usual, and then you’re done, and ready to timewarp back to 2004.

On 2017-4-23 10:34 , Ken Cunningham wrote:

> I know some of you are interested in such things, at times… debugging
> MacPorts, trying out a port, etc.
>
> A Tiger VM more or less works, with a few touchy parts that may or may
> not improve over time, on the current version of VirtualBox.
>
> <https://github.com/ranma42/TigerOnVBox>
>
> I find the hard disk driver to be a bit flaky and require a few resets
> to get it to work, but it does work, in the end.

Thanks Ken, the cpuid values on that page allowed me to resurrect my
Tiger VM, which had stopped working in VirtualBox 5.

- Josh

Re: Tiger Virtual Machine on VirtualBox

Kenneth F. Cunningham
Perhaps of interest, the developer who set this Tiger VM up is one of the developers of cairo. He did it specifically so cairo could continue to support 10.4 Tiger well into the future. So it appears the request Ryan added to the cairo portfile to have people express interest if they use it on 10.4 has borne fruit.

See this thread for more if interested: <https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2017-January/027836.html>

Ken

On 2017-05-02, at 12:28 PM, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2017-4-23 10:34 , Ken Cunningham wrote:
>> I know some of you are interested in such things, at times… debugging MacPorts, trying out a port, etc.
>> A Tiger VM more or less works, with a few touchy parts that may or may not improve over time, on the current version of VirtualBox.
>> <https://github.com/ranma42/TigerOnVBox>
>> I find the hard disk driver to be a bit flaky and require a few resets to get it to work, but it does work, in the end.
>
> Thanks Ken, the cpuid values on that page allowed me to resurrect my Tiger VM, which had stopped working in VirtualBox 5.
>
> - Josh

Re: Tiger Virtual Machine on VirtualBox

Ryan Schmidt-24
On Jun 26, 2017, at 10:22, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> Perhaps of interest, the developer who set this Tiger VM up is one of the developers of cairo. He did it specifically so cairo could continue to support 10.4 Tiger well into the future. So it appears the request Ryan added to the cairo portfile to have people express interest if they use it on 10.4 has borne fruit.
>
> See this thread for more if interested: <https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2017-January/027836.html>

That's great news, thanks for letting us know. I guess I can remove the note from the portfile.