TenFourFox-Intel -- current browser for older systems

TenFourFox-Intel -- current browser for older systems

Ken Cunningham
Older systems are popular with many MacPorts’ users, and are often missing a browser that can access current webservers that use TLS 1.3, etc.

A very gifted hobbiest programmer who loves older Macs provides a FireFox fork, TenFourFox for PPC Tiger. He could certainly use your support and kudos if you find it useful. <https://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/>

TenFourFox for i386 also exists courtesy of a couple of us and MacPorts’ tools, and has full parity with TFF PPC. It runs on 10.4 Tiger up.

I may make a port for it that installs the binary or optionally allows you to build it yourself (quite a project) but for now, you can download it, along with the software needed to enable web video, here:

Best,

Re: TenFourFox-Intel -- current browser for older systems

Uli Wienands
I have been using Ken (and Riccardo, at least originally)'s 386 port of
TFF since the FPR14 release, on a 17-inch MBP running 10.6.8. It is
stable and functional, I'd argue the best there is for such an old
system. Unfortunately true "feature parity" turned out to be too
difficult to maintain for Cameron, so things like online banking by and
large don't work anymore.

In the first day of use, FPR23 has been very well behaved & did not
crash. There appears to be memory leakage; but that is the case with
Firefox as well.

But I am grateful for the work people put in and share, keeping machines
like this one useful and out of the landfill. And besides, Tiger, Leo
and Snow Lei were the high-points of OS X/macOS as far as useability is
concerned.

So, my sincere thanks. And my thanks to MacPorts, which allows me to run
a number or programs from Unix/Linux land. I'd help if I had the skills
and the time; as it is I have neither.

Uli

On 6/8/20 8:35 PM, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> Older systems are popular with many MacPorts’ users, and are often
> missing a browser that can access current webservers that use TLS 1.3,
> etc.
>
> A very gifted hobbiest programmer who loves older Macs provides a
> FireFox fork, TenFourFox for PPC Tiger. He could certainly use your
> support and kudos if you find it useful.
> <https://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/>
>
> TenFourFox for i386 also exists courtesy of a couple of us and
> MacPorts’ tools, and has full parity with TFF PPC. It runs on 10.4
> Tiger up.
>
> I may make a port for it that installs the binary or optionally allows
> you to build it yourself (quite a project) but for now, you can
> download it, along with the software needed to enable web video, here:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/tenfourfox/files/unstable/contrib/TenFourFox-FPR23-i386.tar.gz/download
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/tenfourfox/files/unstable/contrib/TenFourFoxMP4Enabler-Intel.dmg/download
>
> Best,
>
> Ken

Re: TenFourFox-Intel -- current browser for older systems

> Unfortunately true "feature parity" turned out to be too
> difficult to maintain for Cameron, so things like online banking by and
> large don't work anymore.
He's pretty close. Security is right up to date, TLS 1.3, he is no more than a few weeks behind at most on security patches from the FireFox tree. Amazing, really.

There are some new web features that are apparently hard to implement...written in Rust, I think, which as you know is not so functional on 10.4. The bank I use works great with TFF, I guess it doesn't use those web features. And amazon, ebay, youtube, macports, wikipedia, etc, etc, etc, all work normally.

GitHub does use some of them, as of last year, so it has a hiccup.

Cameron said he watched the entire Democratic debate on a G5 running TenFourFox, all 2+hours of streaming video, without a hiccup.

The intel version works very well for me, almost never crashes. Perhaps 95% of websites work as expected.

Re: TenFourFox-Intel -- current browser for older systems

Uli Wienands
Ken, I agree with everything you say. But my banking stopped with the
infamous "this is undefined" error that was mentioned in the TFF blog
when it showed up first, and I just checked with FPR23, no go. OWC's
site also does not work quite right, the graphics on their front page is
messed up, although the site is useable and ordering works. I know of
the Github issue, but the things I do with it work, so no issue for me.
Your port of TFF has been my standard browser on the MBP ever since you
released it.

That said, I just watched Spacex's latest launch, flawless (Your port of
TFF, that is!).

So, thanks again,

Uli

On 6/12/20 11:36 AM, Ken Cunningham wrote:

>> Unfortunately true "feature parity" turned out to be too
>> difficult to maintain for Cameron, so things like online banking by and
>> large don't work anymore.
> He's pretty close. Security is right up to date, TLS 1.3, he is no more than a few weeks behind at most on security patches from the FireFox tree. Amazing, really.
>
> There are some new web features that are apparently hard to implement...written in Rust, I think, which as you know is not so functional on 10.4. The bank I use works great with TFF, I guess it doesn't use those web features. And amazon, ebay, youtube, macports, wikipedia, etc, etc, etc, all work normally.
>
> GitHub does use some of them, as of last year, so it has a hiccup.
>
> Cameron said he watched the entire Democratic debate on a G5 running TenFourFox, all 2+hours of streaming video, without a hiccup.
>
> The intel version works very well for me, almost never crashes. Perhaps 95% of websites work as expected.
>
> Ken

Re: TenFourFox-Intel -- current browser for older systems

Ken Cunningham
My contributions are minor, mostly leveraging my long-worked-at ability to get current toolchains onto older systems.

Cameron is a very smart guy. Like — really good at this stuff.

Ken