Surf port

Justin C. Walker
Hi, all,

Being an infrequent user, I am a bit out of my depth here.  I would like to install Surf, but I am getting "mixed messages" from 'port'.  I have a version installed (from ~2014), but it doesn't work because libgtk-1.2 is not installed.  It used to work, but I gather from browsing Trac that it had been removed (as I said, "infrequent").

Using "port info" command, I found that "surf" was not found.

Checking on the MacPorts website, I found "k3dsurf", but no "surf".  "port info" gave me information about the former.

I then did a "selfupdate" and "upgrade outdated", and was told to change my "rsync:" line in sources.conf to
  "rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports.tar"
I did that.

Now, "port info" denies any knowledge of the port.

Help!  Pointers or clues welcome.

Thanks!

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large, Director
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income

Re: Surf port

Christopher Stone
On Feb 26, 2017, at 19:57, Justin C. Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Now, "port info" denies any knowledge of the port.

Hey Justin,

Try search instead of info:

port search "surf"

--
Best Regards,
Chris

Re: Surf port

Justin C. Walker

On Feb 26, 2017, at 18:05 , Christopher Stone wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2017, at 19:57, Justin C. Walker <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> Now, "port info" denies any knowledge of the port.
>

> Hey Justin,
>
> Try search instead of info:
>
> port search "surf"

Thanks for this.  As I said, "infrequent".

I was able to find and start the build of k3dsurf on two systems, but both crapped out:

10.6.8: a bunch of complaints like this:
in "...tools/qcstring.cpp":
:info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp: In function ‘void setup_qt(QImage&, png_struct*, png_info*, float)’:
:info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp:131: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct png_info_def’

and one of this form:
:info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp: In function ‘void qt_zlib_compression_hack()’:
:info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp:1246: error: ‘compress’ was not declared in this scope
:info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp:1247: error: ‘uncompress’ was not declared in this scope

10.11.6: the port is only buildable on 10.6 and earlier (in "qt-mac-free-3.3.8b/src/tools/global.h") AFAICT.  The logic there seems strange, and I can't find where MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED is defined.

I'm using the Apple tool chain, FWIW, on both systems.

There doesn't seem to be anything relevant on Trac regarding this.

Should I file bugs?  I can provide logs if of interest.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
-----------

Re: Surf port

Mojca Miklavec-2
On 27 February 2017 at 04:43, Justin C. Walker wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2017, at 18:05 , Christopher Stone wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 2017, at 19:57, Justin C. Walker wrote:
>>> Now, "port info" denies any knowledge of the port.
>>
>> Hey Justin,
>>
>> Try search instead of info:
>>
>> port search "surf"

For "surf" itself see:
- https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52734
- https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52735

This is for http://surf.sourceforge.net/

If you really want to install surf, you can fetch the old Portfiles
for GTK1 and surf from the SVN/GIT history, but you'll be mostly on
your own in case of build failures.

(The best bet here would be to take the sources of surf and port it to
GTK 2 or 3 or some other framework.)

> Thanks for this.  As I said, "infrequent".
>
> I was able to find and start the build of k3dsurf on two systems, but both crapped out:
>
> 10.6.8: a bunch of complaints like this:
> in "...tools/qcstring.cpp":
> :info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp: In function ‘void setup_qt(QImage&, png_struct*, png_info*, float)’:
> :info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp:131: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct png_info_def’
>
> and one of this form:
> :info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp: In function ‘void qt_zlib_compression_hack()’:
> :info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp:1246: error: ‘compress’ was not declared in this scope
> :info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp:1247: error: ‘uncompress’ was not declared in this scope
>
> 10.11.6: the port is only buildable on 10.6 and earlier (in "qt-mac-free-3.3.8b/src/tools/global.h") AFAICT.  The logic there seems strange, and I can't find where MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED is defined.
>
> I'm using the Apple tool chain, FWIW, on both systems.
>
> There doesn't seem to be anything relevant on Trac regarding this.

k3dsurf is a different software with a similar goal:
    http://k3dsurf.sourceforge.net/
But both "surf" and "k3dsurf" seem pretty abandoned upstream.

The port k3dsurf depends on Qt3 and has no maintainer.

Qt3 won't compile on any newer OS and it makes no sense to start debugging that.

What you can do is:

- On 10.6: try to use a different / newer compiler to build k3dsurf,
for example:
    sudo port install k3dsurf configure.compiler=macports-clang-3.4

- On 10.11: edit the Portfile for k3dsurf and replace dependency on
qt3-mac with qt4-mac, check if that compiles. If k3dsurf doesn't work
with Qt 4 (which is possible, the last release seems to be from
2007/2009), there's no hope for this port and highly unlikely that any
MacPorts developer would be willing to fix it. If you cannot make
k3dsurf work with Qt 4, ask upstream.

Or simply download the binary:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/k3dsurf/files/k3dsurf_mac_exe/0.6.2/

> Should I file bugs?  I can provide logs if of interest.

You may file a bug, but unless it's possible to build k3dsurf against
Qt 4, the most we can do is fix the build on 10.6. And for ports that
don't work on newer OSes it's highly unlikely that anyone will look at
the bug unless you provide a patch that we can commit, so that it will
work out of the box next time you try. You can try a newer compiler.

We should probably explicitly disable building Qt 3 on newer OSes though.

Re: Surf port

Mojca Miklavec-2
On 27 February 2017 at 09:49, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> - On 10.11: edit the Portfile for k3dsurf and replace dependency on
> qt3-mac with qt4-mac, check if that compiles. If k3dsurf doesn't work
> with Qt 4 (which is possible, the last release seems to be from
> 2007/2009), there's no hope for this port and highly unlikely that any
> MacPorts developer would be willing to fix it. If you cannot make
> k3dsurf work with Qt 4, ask upstream.

I just figured out that k3dsurf depends on qt3-mac which doesn't
compile on > 10.6, but one can still install qt3 and compile k3dsurf
against qt3. That one uses X11, so it won't look nice, but that's
still better than nothing. Just replace qt3-mac with qt3 in k3dsurf's
Portfile and remove qt4-mac from qt3's conficts.

Those are changes that we could easily make (if one could then compile
the port).

Re: Surf port

Mojca Miklavec-2
On 27 February 2017 at 11:07, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I just figured out that k3dsurf depends on qt3-mac which doesn't
> compile on > 10.6, but one can still install qt3 and compile k3dsurf
> against qt3. That one uses X11, so it won't look nice, but that's
> still better than nothing.

I just tried that and it works. Not out of the box, but I got an
X11-based application running after some really minor modifications.

Feel free to file a ticket for that (to make k3dsurf work against qt3).

Re: Surf port

Mojca Miklavec-2
On 27 February 2017 at 11:16, Mojca Miklavecwrote:

> On 27 February 2017 at 11:07, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> I just figured out that k3dsurf depends on qt3-mac which doesn't
>> compile on > 10.6, but one can still install qt3 and compile k3dsurf
>> against qt3. That one uses X11, so it won't look nice, but that's
>> still better than nothing.
>
> I just tried that and it works. Not out of the box, but I got an
> X11-based application running after some really minor modifications.
>
> Feel free to file a ticket for that (to make k3dsurf work against qt3).

I committed some changes to make k3dsurf work. I didn't test on 10.12,
but it should hopefully work (with X11).

Re: Surf port

Justin C. Walker

On Mar 4, 2017, at 12:07 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On 27 February 2017 at 11:16, Mojca Miklavecwrote:
>> On 27 February 2017 at 11:07, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>>
>>> I just figured out that k3dsurf depends on qt3-mac which doesn't
>>> compile on > 10.6, but one can still install qt3 and compile k3dsurf
>>> against qt3. That one uses X11, so it won't look nice, but that's
>>> still better than nothing.
>>
>> I just tried that and it works. Not out of the box, but I got an
>> X11-based application running after some really minor modifications.
>>
>> Feel free to file a ticket for that (to make k3dsurf work against qt3).
>
> I committed some changes to make k3dsurf work. I didn't test on 10.12,
> but it should hopefully work (with X11).

Thanks, Mojca!  Worked great.

Now all I need is a little documentation :-}

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income
--------
Experience is what you get
  when you don't get what you want.
--------