Support for python 2.6, 3.3 and 3.4

There are still some python modules that provide support for python
2.6 and 3.3. Is it ok to put all of them to py-graveyard?

There are a number of broken py34-* ports due to missing dependencies
(notably py34-matplotlib).

Do we want to:
(a) Temporarily add those missing dependencies until the rest of
3.5/3.6 ports are tested & working?
(b) Try to remove support for 3.4 ASAP.

Thank you,

Re: Support for python 2.6, 3.3 and 3.4

Perry E. Metzger
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 11:59:17 +0200 Mojca Miklavec
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are still some python modules that provide support for python
> 2.6 and 3.3. Is it ok to put all of them to py-graveyard?

As a data point, Python 2.6 and Python 3.3 are both past End of
Life and are no longer supported by the Python folks.

> There are a number of broken py34-* ports due to missing
> dependencies (notably py34-matplotlib).
>
> Do we want to:
> (a) Temporarily add those missing dependencies until the rest of
> 3.5/3.6 ports are tested & working?
> (b) Try to remove support for 3.4 ASAP.

Not sure here, but generally, I think it's better to try to move
forward.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger [hidden email]

On Apr 12, 2018, at 04:59, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> There are still some python modules that provide support for python
> 2.6 and 3.3. Is it ok to put all of them to py-graveyard?
>
> There are a number of broken py34-* ports due to missing dependencies
> (notably py34-matplotlib).
>
> Do we want to:
> (a) Temporarily add those missing dependencies until the rest of
> 3.5/3.6 ports are tested & working?
> (b) Try to remove support for 3.4 ASAP.

If you want to graveyard python 3.x modules < 3.5, it'd be nice to first update the three remaining ports that depend on such old modules:

$ port echo depends:':py3[01234]-' and not name:'^py3[01234]-'
jrnl
livestreamer
lirc

And remove the old python variants from the several ports that still have them:

$ port echo variant:'(^|\s)python3[01234]($|\s)'
boost
boost-numpy
cmake
cmake-devel
coccinelle
flann
grc
htcondor
liblinear
libproxy
libpwquality
libsbml
libsvm
MacVim
mycli
nghttp2
octave-symbolic
ompl
opencv
pgcli
pybombs
pybombs-devel
pymol
pypi2port
qgis3
quickfix
root5
root6
salt
spot
uhd
uhd-devel
vigra
vim
vips
volk
volk-devel
weechat
weechat-devel
xonsh
xonsh-devel
xorg-libxcb
xorg-xcb-proto
xraylib
youtube-dl
znc

Re: Support for python 2.6, 3.3 and 3.4

Craig Treleaven
> On Apr 12, 2018, at 8:42 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Apr 12, 2018, at 04:59, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> There are still some python modules that provide support for python
>> 2.6 and 3.3. Is it ok to put all of them to py-graveyard?
>>
>> There are a number of broken py34-* ports due to missing dependencies
>> (notably py34-matplotlib).
>>
>> Do we want to:
>> (a) Temporarily add those missing dependencies until the rest of
>> 3.5/3.6 ports are tested & working?
>> (b) Try to remove support for 3.4 ASAP.
>
> If you want to graveyard python 3.x modules < 3.5, it'd be nice to first update the three remaining ports that depend on such old modules:
>

> $ port echo depends:':py3[01234]-' and not name:'^py3[01234]-'
> jrnl
> livestreamer
> lirc

lirc now updated to use python 3.6: