Support for Sierra

Dave Horsfall
Another "port upgrade outdated", and most of the day spent compiling
monster stuff such as CMAKE, LLVM, CLANG, etc.  Are these binaries no
longer supported for Sierra?  I'm not sure how far I can upgrade this
old MacPort Pro...

Thanks.

-- Dave

Re: Support for Sierra

Ken Cunningham
> Are these binaries no longer supported for Sierra?  I'm not sure how
> far I can upgrade this old MacPort Pro...

Pretty well supported. You can restrict your requests to those with
prebuild binaries with:

port -b -v install XYZ

You can check what is building by looking at
<https://ports.macports.org>, or checking
<https://packages.macports.org/myinterestingport>.

Some common-sense things: stay away from the absolute most cutting edge
things -- there is certainly no reason for you to install clang-devel
for example, or be worried about running the absolutely most cutting
edge rust. You're just asking for grief doing that. clang-devel exists
for people like me to see what needs to be done to get the next clang-XY
building on all systems. But every other version of clang runs on
sierra, as far as I can recall.

If you run into something you actually want, that doesn't work, most
things can be repaired with the knowledge that someone is interested in
it. MacPorts has something like 20,000 ports -- not every one is going
to get the attention of the 40 or 50 people who can fix things, all the
time. But most of us will help you out if you want something, and if it
can be done.

Best,

Re: Support for Sierra

On May 11, 2020, at 15:46, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Another "port upgrade outdated", and most of the day spent compiling monster stuff such as CMAKE, LLVM, CLANG, etc.  Are these binaries no longer supported for Sierra?  I'm not sure how far I can upgrade this old MacPort Pro...

We still have build machines building for 10.6 and newer so you should generally be receiving binaries, assuming we were able to build them. All the usual restrictions apply: you must use the default prefix, default applications_dir, default frameworks_dir, default cxx_stdlib, default variants, default arch, and the ports in question must be distributable.

To the point of default variants: port maintainers sometimes change a port's default variants, but MacPorts will preserve whatever variants you had selected when you installed it. cmake, for example, switched in November to default to +python37, but if you had installed it before that time, you would have it installed with +python36 or earlier. If you upgrade, you'll have to build from source, since our binaries are only built for default variants. If you want to receive the binary, reinstall the port with its current set of default variants (e.g. run `sudo port install cmake` again).

There are reasons why some binaries might not be available for specific systems where you might otherwise expect them to be available:

* A lot of things don't build on 10.6 due to a libcxx bootstrapping issue [1] and a dependency cycle [2].

* The 10.8 builder has been offline for awhile [3] because I'm not able to reinstall Xcode completely following having to set up the builder again recently.

* There is a 10.12-specific bug in numpy [4] that causes anything that uses numpy to fail to build in a virtual machine, such as our buildbot machines.

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/59807
[2] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/60419
[3] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/60110
[4] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/59022

Re: Support for Sierra

On May 11, 2020, at 18:37, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> To the point of default variants: port maintainers sometimes change a port's default variants, but MacPorts will preserve whatever variants you had selected when you installed it. cmake, for example, switched in November to default to +python37, but if you had installed it before that time, you would have it installed with +python36 or earlier. If you upgrade, you'll have to build from source, since our binaries are only built for default variants. If you want to receive the binary, reinstall the port with its current set of default variants (e.g. run `sudo port install cmake` again).

Oh, I'm wrong about that, in that a python variant isn't a default variant of cmake unless you also enable the docs variant.

In any case, checking whether you're using non-default variants is still a useful thing to do if a port isn't receiving a binary and you think it should.

Re: Support for Sierra

Dave Horsfall
On Tue, 12 May 2020, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> I'm not sure how far I can upgrade this old MacPort Pro...

Arrgghh!!!  I meant "MacBook" of course, not "MacPort" :-)

-- Dave