Sorry, this is a 'newbe' question.

Alexander Aakesson
Hi,  my name is Alec Aakesson, and I just moved from linux/freebsd
environment to a Mac environment.  I would like to download the darwin
ports and install them on my Mac [OS X 10.4].  I would like to know if I
have to pay to do that or buy any special software?  Is it available to
any one?  I am not doing this for any organization, but for my own
edification.  When I went to download the source for the ports I was
asked to enter my 'work e-mail address.'  I am used to working with
freebsd ports, but I am not quite sure how Mac does things.
Please let me know.

Cheers,
Alec

--

"Every day it rains, its Tuesday."

Re: Sorry, this is a 'newbe' question.

Kevin Walzer-5
Alexander Aakesson wrote:

> Hi,  my name is Alec Aakesson, and I just moved from linux/freebsd
> environment to a Mac environment.  I would like to download the darwin
> ports and install them on my Mac [OS X 10.4].  I would like to know if I
> have to pay to do that or buy any special software?  Is it available to
> any one?  I am not doing this for any organization, but for my own
> edification.  When I went to download the source for the ports I was
> asked to enter my 'work e-mail address.'  I am used to working with
> freebsd ports, but I am not quite sure how Mac does things.
> Please let me know.
>
> Cheers,
> Alec

MacPorts is free and open-source software released under the BSD
license. There is no cost to download it, and install it, and install
software with it.

Did you download it from http://www.macports.org? It doesn't ask for a
work e-mail address to do this.

The base MacPorts distribution is a command-line application; if you are
comfortable with the terminal then you should be fine. If you prefer a
graphical interface, there are a few different options, some which are
free/open-source and some which are commercial applications (I develop
one of the commercial GUI applications).

Hope this helps,
Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

Re: Sorry, this is a 'newbe' question.

William Davis

On Sep 21, 2007, at 10:11 AM, William Davis wrote:

On Sep 21, 2007, at 9:14 AM, Alexander Aakesson wrote:

Hi,  my name is Alec Aakesson, and I just moved from linux/freebsd environment to a Mac environment.  I would like to download the darwin ports and install them on my Mac [OS X 10.4].  I would like to know if I have to pay to do that or buy any special software?  Is it available to any one?  I am not doing this for any organization, but for my own edification.  When I went to download the source for the ports I was asked to enter my 'work e-mail address.'  I am used to working with freebsd ports, but I am not quite sure how Mac does things.
Please let me know.

Cheers,
Alec

Good news! Its all *free*. :)

you might also wish to get PortAuthority -- a graphic user interface (shareware $20 but has a free full demo)

Good luck and enjoy!

Im a newbie too ;)

sorry , for got to "reply all"

Re: Sorry, this is a 'newbe' question.