Service workers

Michael Catanzaro
Hi,

We've noticed that service worker support has more than once been a
consideration for embedded device manufacturers when choosing between
WebKit and Chromium for their products. I see the feature status for
service workers is currently listed as "under consideration." Are there
technical concerns with this spec? Is it something that would be
desirable for WebKit?

Thanks,

Michael

Re: Service workers

Maciej Stachowiak

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 6:19 PM, Michael Catanzaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We've noticed that service worker support has more than once been a consideration for embedded device manufacturers when choosing between WebKit and Chromium for their products. I see the feature status for service workers is currently listed as "under consideration." Are there technical concerns with this spec? Is it something that would be desirable for WebKit?

Apple engineers from the WebKit team have been heavily involved in ServiceWorkers spec discussions over the past few years. Many of our concerns with the spec have been addressed, especially for Fetch service workers which generally don't run beyond the scope of pages that use them. While we have not done any implementation work, the "under consideration" in this case is meant literally. We actually are considering it.

More info about who's asking for it and what their use cases are would be useful, if you're free to share.

Regards,
Maciej

Re: Service workers

Yusuke SUZUKI
I've just seen some of initial work about service workers[1,2].
So, have we started experimenting with implementing service workers?

Best regards,
Yusuke Suzuki

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 4:55 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 6:19 PM, Michael Catanzaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We've noticed that service worker support has more than once been a consideration for embedded device manufacturers when choosing between WebKit and Chromium for their products. I see the feature status for service workers is currently listed as "under consideration." Are there technical concerns with this spec? Is it something that would be desirable for WebKit?

Apple engineers from the WebKit team have been heavily involved in ServiceWorkers spec discussions over the past few years. Many of our concerns with the spec have been addressed, especially for Fetch service workers which generally don't run beyond the scope of pages that use them. While we have not done any implementation work, the "under consideration" in this case is meant literally. We actually are considering it.

More info about who's asking for it and what their use cases are would be useful, if you're free to share.

Regards,
Maciej

Re: Service workers

Brady Eidson

On Aug 3, 2017, at 12:14 AM, Yusuke SUZUKI <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've just seen some of initial work about service workers[1,2].
So, have we started experimenting with implementing service workers?

https://trac.webkit.org/changeset/220220/webkit

Thanks,
~Brady