Rsync and --protect-decmpfs

Christopher Stone
Hey Folks,

I'm looking at using rsync for a number of jobs, and figuring out how to use it properly on a Mac to preserve file attributes and dates has been a bit of a chore.

I finally talked to someone I know who wrote a utility around it and got some good advice.

Base command:

rsync -aAHNvXx --fileflags --force-change --numeric-ids --protect-args --progress --stats <source> <destination>

My friend's advice and a few places on the Net recommend using this switch on the Mac:

--protect-decmpfs (patch by Mike Bombich of CCC fame)

MacPorts rsync version 3.1.3 protocol version 31 doesn't have this option available.

How desirable is this option?

Is there a way to add the option when building rsync with MacPorts?

If so I would expect to see a variant, but I've mostly used default ports and am uneducated about variants.

I have't fooled with `make` for quite a while (preferring to let MacPorts do the dirty work for me), but I expect I can make from source if I have to.

TIA for any useful commentary.

--
Best Regards,
Chris

Re: Rsync and --protect-decmpfs

Rainer Müller-4
On 2018-04-13 11:05, Christopher Stone wrote:

> My friend's advice and a few places on the Net recommend using this switch on the Mac:
>
> --protect-decmpfs (patch by Mike Bombich of CCC fame)
>
> MacPorts rsync version 3.1.3 protocol version 31 doesn't have this option available.
>
> How desirable is this option?
>
> Is there a way to add the option when building rsync with MacPorts?
>
> If so I would expect to see a variant, but I've mostly used default ports and am uneducated about variants.
>
> I have't fooled with `make` for quite a while (preferring to let MacPorts do the dirty work for me), but I expect I can make from source if I have to.

I think you are talking about the hfs-compression.diff patch. We used to
apply this patch, but the commit [1] that removed it said that it was
marked as broken with rsync 3.1.3.

If there is a newer compatible version of that patch around somewhere we
could use that.

Rainer

[1]
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/3b08efaebe3b7413093b981f2f4ad661d27cffac#diff-c915c59a1e788fdf85b0d74e8116b961R32

Re: Rsync and --protect-decmpfs

Richard L. Hamilton-3
AFAIK, that option is specific to HFS+ with compression, preserving an associated extended attribute; but it preserves it even if the receiving end  doesn't know what to do with it properly (whatever that is); so I'd want the destination system to be as new or newer, to be reasonably sure it could.  Not sure whether it's of any use with APFS.

> On Apr 13, 2018, at 05:05, Christopher Stone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey Folks,
>
> I'm looking at using rsync for a number of jobs, and figuring out how to use it properly on a Mac to preserve file attributes and dates has been a bit of a chore.
>
> I finally talked to someone I know who wrote a utility around it and got some good advice.
>
> Base command:
>
> rsync -aAHNvXx --fileflags --force-change --numeric-ids --protect-args --progress --stats <source> <destination>
>
> My friend's advice and a few places on the Net recommend using this switch on the Mac:
>
> --protect-decmpfs (patch by Mike Bombich of CCC fame)
>
> MacPorts rsync version 3.1.3 protocol version 31 doesn't have this option available.
>
> How desirable is this option?
>
> Is there a way to add the option when building rsync with MacPorts?
>
> If so I would expect to see a variant, but I've mostly used default ports and am uneducated about variants.
>
> I have't fooled with `make` for quite a while (preferring to let MacPorts do the dirty work for me), but I expect I can make from source if I have to.
>
> TIA for any useful commentary.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Chris

Re: Rsync and --protect-decmpfs

Please keep the discussion on the mailing list by using Reply All.

On 2018-04-13 13:10, Christopher Stone wrote:

> On 04/13/2018, at 05:33, Rainer Müller <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> I think you are talking about the hfs-compression.diff patch. We used
>> to apply this patch, but the commit [1] that removed it said that it
>> was marked as broken with rsync 3.1.3.
>
> Hey Rainer,
>
> Yes.  Apologies – I intended to mention the patch name and forgot.
>  Chalk that up to my inexperience with them.
>
>> If there is a newer compatible version of that patch around somewhere
>> we could use that.
>
> The attached hfs-compression.diff file is distributed with rsync 3.1.3.
>  It supposedly compiles and passes the test suite.
>
> https://download.samba.org/pub/rsync/

I do not know where the information that the hfs-compression.diff patch
is broken comes from. It is not mentioned in the pull request [1] either.

I added jabenninghoff to CC.

Rainer

[1] https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1299