Renaming Directories and Project Files to Match Framework Names

Renaming Directories and Project Files to Match Framework Names

Matthew Hanson

Hello WebKit,

Seven years ago, the WebKit project launched WebKit2, a modern multi-process based API layer for WebKit. Five years later, we moved the original WebKit API to a framework called WebKitLegacy and the WebKit2 framework became just plain WebKit.

On Thursday evening (PST), we are updating the directory structure and the project files to match the framework naming conventions. A summary of the work being done is included below.

Please reach out to me directly with any questions.

Matt

Upcoming Renames

Legacy WebKit API

Source/WebKit/                 => Source/WebKitLegacy/
Source/WebKit/WebKit.xcodeproj => Source/WebKitLegacy/WebKitLegacy.xcodeproj
Source/WebKit/WebKit.vcxproj   => Source/WebKitLegacy/WebKitLegacy.vcxproj

Modern WebKit API

Source/WebKit2/                  => Source/WebKit/
Source/WebKit2/WebKit2.xcodeproj => Source/WebKit/WebKit.xcodeproj
Source/WebKit2/WebKit2.vcxproj   => Source/WebKit/WebKit.vcxproj

Q&A

Is there a bug tracking this work?

Yes there is. Renaming WebKit to WebKitLegacy is tracked by 174162 and renaming WebKit2 to WebKit is tracked by 174164.

When is this happening?

The rename will take place on Thursday, July 13 at 7pm PST. The WebKit tree will be closed from 7:00pm to 7:30pm while the work is being done, to allow for rebasing and to avoid conflicts.

What do I need to do?

If you have expertise in either GTK or Windows WebKit, I would love to talk to you. I want to make sure that the rename goes smoothly on all platforms.

Most people should not need to do anything other than remember that Source/WebKit will house the modern WebKit API once the work is done. I will send out further announcements:

  • The day before the rename
  • 15 minutes before the tree is closed
  • Once the rename is complete

What have we tested?

  • iOS builds + tests pass
  • macOS builds + tests pass

What needs to be tested?

  • Ensure that Windows builds + tests pass
  • Ensure that GTK builds + tests pass

Re: Renaming Directories and Project Files to Match Framework Names

Michael Catanzaro
On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Matthew Hanson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you have expertise in either GTK or Windows WebKit, I would love
> to talk to you. I want to make sure that the rename goes smoothly on
> all platforms.

Hi,

I think I'll be the only GTK/WPE person around at that time. I'll keep
an eye on the bots and try to fix what I can if something goes wrong.

Worst case, if our bots break and I can't fix them right away, you
don't need to worry about it. We'll try to get them up and running
again the next morning before the usual time when people start landing
commits. It's helpful that this was scheduled for the end of the day
when it will be less disruptive for us.

Thanks for the heads up,

Michael

Re: Renaming Directories and Project Files to Match Framework Names

Matthew Hanson
Michael,

Thank you for your help. EWS is helping me iterate on GTK and WPE; I should be able to get a positive test in the next few hours. If so, we should be in good shape for Thursday evening.

Matt

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 3:36 PM, Michael Catanzaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Matthew Hanson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you have expertise in either GTK or Windows WebKit, I would love to talk to you. I want to make sure that the rename goes smoothly on all platforms.
>
> Hi,
>
> I think I'll be the only GTK/WPE person around at that time. I'll keep an eye on the bots and try to fix what I can if something goes wrong.
>
> Worst case, if our bots break and I can't fix them right away, you don't need to worry about it. We'll try to get them up and running again the next morning before the usual time when people start landing commits. It's helpful that this was scheduled for the end of the day when it will be less disruptive for us.
>
> Thanks for the heads up,
>
> Michael

Re: Renaming Directories and Project Files to Match Framework Names

Matthew Hanson
Hi all,

I'd like to remind you that the WebKit tree will be closed between 7:00pm and 7:30pm tonight while I rename Source/WebKit to Source/WebKitLegacy and Source/WebKit2 to Source/WebKit. This means that you will not be able to commit during that time period.

Jonathan Bedard has written a script that will rebase any patches created before the rename against the new source directory structure. You can run it like this: Tools/Scripts/rebase-patch-after-webkit-move path/to/my/patch

I will reply to this thread when the tree is closed and once again when the tree is subsequently re-opened.

Matt