Registering a device with a particular software

Registering a device with a particular software

Sébastien DEWAILLY
Hi,

I want to use a  device with one of your softwares but when I want to
register it, it doesn't find the executable. In fact, I installed it via
port command and the path to executable is not correct, the script try
to launch /usr/bin/*Reg but the executable is actually in /opt/local/bin.

My question: Is it possible to install the software in /usr via port
command?

Or, do I have to dive into makefiles to properly configure the
installation process?

thx, Sébastien

PS. It seems to be possible to launch the installation, running make
command. Am I right?

Re: Registering a device with a particular software

Mojca Miklavec-2

On Apr 9, 2017 8:20 AM, "Sébastien DEWAILLY" wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I want to use a device with one of your softwares but when I want to
> register it, it doesn't find the executable.

Please be more specific.

This is like complaining to Apple that one of the programs running on their hardware is buggy.

> In fact, I installed it via
> port command and the path to executable is not correct, the script try
> to launch /usr/bin/*Reg but the executable is actually in /opt/local/bin.
>
> My question: Is it possible to install the software in /usr via port
> command?

No. But there is probably a way to fix that software to find the executable in /opt/local/bin.

> Or, do I have to dive into makefiles to properly configure the
> installation process?

If installation is buggy, someone needs to take a closer look, yes. It's not clear which step fails, but you cannot/shouldn't "fix" the package to install the executable to /usr.

You could also file a ticket on Trac.

> PS. It seems to be possible to launch the installation, running make
> command. Am I right?

Try:

sudo port -v build <portname>
cd $(port work <portname>)