Re: macports-users Digest, Vol 166, Issue 6

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: macports-users Digest, Vol 166, Issue 6

Thomas Bodlien
Hi,

I have set region to german and language to us english.
Macports installs everything in german
How can I fix this?

Thomas Bodlien

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: macports-users Digest, Vol 166, Issue 6

ryandesign2
Administrator


On Jun 16, 2020, at 19:08, Thomas Bodlien wrote:

> I have set region to german and language to us english.
> Macports installs everything in german
> How can I fix this?

MacPorts does not vary what it installs based on the language or region you set in system preferences.

But many ports installed by MacPorts do have localization files so that they can work in whatever locale (language) you want them to. This is influenced by the LANG and LC_* environment variables. The terminal sets these to reasonable values based on your language and region preferences but you can override them in your shell startup files if you want.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: macports-users Digest, Vol 166, Issue 6

Rainer Müller-4
In reply to this post by Thomas Bodlien
On 17/06/2020 02.08, Thomas Bodlien wrote:
> I have set region to german and language to us english.
> Macports installs everything in german
> How can I fix this?

You are likely hit by this bug in gettext, which causes it to select the wrong
language for messages:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?49560

This will be fixed with gettext 0.20.x for which the update is currently still a
work in progress:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/58526

Until then, the only workaround is to explicitly select the language by
exporting the locale variables LANG and LC_ALL in the environment, which should
override the language preferences set in the macOS settings.

For example, add this to your shell startup file:

  export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
  export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"

Rainer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: macports-users Digest, Vol 166, Issue 6

Jeffrey Walton
On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 9:37 AM Rainer Müller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 17/06/2020 02.08, Thomas Bodlien wrote:
> > I have set region to german and language to us english.
> > Macports installs everything in german
> > How can I fix this?
>
> You are likely hit by this bug in gettext, which causes it to select the wrong
> language for messages:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?49560

I believe the GNU folks are slowly moving to CI to help catch errors
on OS X and FreeBSD. Recently I saw some chatter about a check-in
based on a CI failure. That's a big step forward for them.

> This will be fixed with gettext 0.20.x for which the update is currently still a
> work in progress:
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/58526

MacPorts may want this patch to clean-up the compile for GetText
0.20.2: https://github.com/noloader/Build-Scripts/blob/master/patch/gettext.patch.
With the macro noise cleared you can spot the other problems, like
function pointer incompatibilities.

There may be some additions to the patch once I have some time to test
everything under Asan and UBsan.

Jeff