Re: [macports-ports] branch master updated: curl: update to 7.55.0

Re: [macports-ports] branch master updated: curl: update to 7.55.0

Ryan Schmidt-24

You should allow the maintainer some time to update a port before you do so. This was just released a few hours ago, and I was working on the update, and was working on switching it to use the xz distfile. (I'll do it with the next version instead.)

On Aug 9, 2017, at 04:16, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> On Aug 9, 2017, at 04:08, Zero King wrote:
>>
>> Zero King (l2dy) pushed a commit to branch master
>> in repository macports-ports.
>>

>> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/11e25ff61c68e3cedd4e9109574b38008ed24378
>>
>> The following commit(s) were added to refs/heads/master by this push:
>>
>>     new 11e25ff  curl: update to 7.55.0
>>
>> 11e25ff is described below
>
> You should allow the maintainer some time to update a port before you do so. This was just released a few hours ago, and I was working on the update, and was working on switching it to use the xz distfile. (I'll do it with the next version instead.)

And especially since this port is not marked openmaintainer. You should file a ticket or PR and allow the maintainer 72 hours to respond to it before you make the changes.

Re: [macports-ports] branch master updated: curl: update to 7.55.0

Zero King-2
On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 04:16:34AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> On Aug 9, 2017, at 04:08, Zero King wrote:
>>
>> Zero King (l2dy) pushed a commit to branch master
>> in repository macports-ports.
>>

>> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/11e25ff61c68e3cedd4e9109574b38008ed24378
>>
>> The following commit(s) were added to refs/heads/master by this push:
>>
>>      new 11e25ff  curl: update to 7.55.0
>>
>> 11e25ff is described below
>
>You should allow the maintainer some time to update a port before you do so. This was just released a few hours ago, and I was working on the update, and was working on switching it to use the xz distfile. (I'll do it with the next version instead.)
Do we have an exception for security fixes?

--
Best regards,
Zero King

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Yes I suppose security fixes are a good reason to override the maintainer.

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 04:34:02AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> You should allow the maintainer some time to update a port before you do so. This was just released a few hours ago, and I was working on the update, and was working on switching it to use the xz distfile. (I'll do it with the next version instead.)
>>
>> Do we have an exception for security fixes?
>
>Yes I suppose security fixes are a good reason to override the maintainer.
curl releases often come with security fixes and I referenced the CVE
Identifiers in the commit message. What's your attitude towards curl
updates with such fixes?

On Aug 9, 2017, at 04:41, Zero King wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 04:34:02AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Do we have an exception for security fixes?
>>
>> Yes I suppose security fixes are a good reason to override the maintainer.
>
> curl releases often come with security fixes and I referenced the CVE
> Identifiers in the commit message. What's your attitude towards curl
> updates with such fixes?

Yes it's fine, I understand the desire to get security fixes to the users as quickly as possible.