Re: [MacPorts] #34833: binary packages should not be installed if the default dependencies are not used

Re: [MacPorts] #34833: binary packages should not be installed if the default dependencies are not used

MacPorts
#34833: binary packages should not be installed if the default dependencies are not
used
-----------------------+--------------------
  Reporter:  jeremyhu  |      Owner:  jmroot
      Type:  defect    |     Status:  closed
 Component:  base      |    Version:  2.1.1
Resolution:  wontfix   |   Keywords:
      Port:            |
-----------------------+--------------------
Changes (by neverpanic):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix

Comment:

 I don't think we should do this. If you allow different ports to satisfy a
 dependency, they should be compatible. If those are libraries, they should
 be binary-compatible.

 If we did this, we would end up in a situation where a port would build
 differently (and produce different artifacts) depending on the
 dependencies installed on your system, rather than the port and its
 selected variants.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34833#comment:7>
MacPorts <https://www.macports.org/>
Ports system for macOS

Re: [MacPorts] #34833: binary packages should not be installed if the default dependencies are not used

MacPorts
#34833: binary packages should not be installed if the default dependencies are not
used
-----------------------+--------------------
  Reporter:  jeremyhu  |      Owner:  jmroot
      Type:  defect    |     Status:  closed
 Component:  base      |    Version:  2.1.1
Resolution:  wontfix   |   Keywords:
      Port:            |
-----------------------+--------------------

Comment (by ryandesign):

 Replying to [comment:7 neverpanic]:
 > I don't think we should do this. If you allow different ports to satisfy
 a dependency, they should be compatible. If those are libraries, they
 should be binary-compatible.

 > If we did this, we would end up in a situation where a port would build
 differently (and produce different artifacts) depending on the
 dependencies installed on your system, rather than the port and its
 selected variants.

 And that's exactly the mess we currently have with libressl; see #54744.
 And yes, I agree with using variants instead of implementing #34833.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34833#comment:8>