Re: Building emacs-27 from source with AppKit, X windows, Gtk+ toolkit support...?

Re: Building emacs-27 from source with AppKit, X windows, Gtk+ toolkit support...?

Ken Cunningham
If we don't already have a section in the Guide explaining how to compile software outside of MacPorts using dependencies from MacPorts (i.e. by setting CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, PKG_CONFIG_PATH) then that would be a good thing to add.

While I continue on my “try to make MacPorts approachable for common users” rampage … wouldn’t it be cool if there was a simple shell script that came with MP that did this, prepopulated with the macports prefix.

It would set all those envvars, then call your command. Then you could:

cd mysoftwarepackage
usemacports ./configure
usemacports make
sudo make install

Then you’d have all the magic of homebrew’s “it just works!” and still have the package isolation of MacPorts.

Re: Building emacs-27 from source with AppKit, X windows, Gtk+ toolkit support...?

> On Jun 5, 2020, at 12:22, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>
>> If we don't already have a section in the Guide explaining how to compile software outside of MacPorts using dependencies from MacPorts (i.e. by setting CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, PKG_CONFIG_PATH) then that would be a good thing to add.
>>

> While I continue on my “try to make MacPorts approachable for common users” rampage … wouldn’t it be cool if there was a simple shell script that came with MP that did this, prepopulated with the macports prefix.
>
> It would set all those envvars, then call your command. Then you could:
>
> cd mysoftwarepackage
> usemacports ./configure
> usemacports make
> sudo make install
>

> Then you’d have all the magic of homebrew’s “it just works!” and still have the package isolation of MacPorts.

Sure, there could be such a script.

I might suggest that, instead of requiring you to run each build command as a subcommand of that script, you might just make the script export those variables. Then the user only needs to run the script once per shell.

On Jun 5, 2020, at 5:25 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sure, there could be such a script.

I might suggest that, instead of requiring you to run each build command as a subcommand of that script, you might just make the script export those variables. Then the user only needs to run the script once per shell.

yes, even better...

I’ll do a bit of experimenting. You would want the "sudo make install" to pick up your prefix, but not the MacPorts prefix.

On the other hand, you don’t want to pollute your usual macports install commands.

And then if anyone could ever figure out how to (easily) use MacPorts libs with an Xcode project, that would be a miracle. I bet not 1 person in 10,000 knows how to do that.

There is a reason that homebrew, with all it’s warts, has been popular.

On Jun 5, 2020, at 20:37, Ken Cunningham wrote:

On Jun 5, 2020, at 5:25 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

Sure, there could be such a script.

I might suggest that, instead of requiring you to run each build command as a subcommand of that script, you might just make the script export those variables. Then the user only needs to run the script once per shell.

yes, even better...

I’ll do a bit of experimenting. You would want the "sudo make install" to pick up your prefix, but not the MacPorts prefix.

I don't think there should be a problem. You usually set the installation prefix when you configure.

On the other hand, you don’t want to pollute your usual macports install commands.

Shouldn't be a problem there either. MacPorts ignores most of your environment variables.