Putting DP into Subversion: Using symlinks instead of hardlinks for activated packages

Putting DP into Subversion: Using symlinks instead of hardlinks for activated packages

Blair Zajac
I'm working on putting my DarwinPorts install into Subversion to make
it easy to distribute an install to clients.  While Subversion 1.2.x
and greater can handle symlinks, it doesn't distinguigh hardlinks, so
you don't get the nice space savings that are possible, and in fact,
would get a doubling of the disk space.

I'm not a TCL expert and don't have the cycles to make a real patch,
but I think a real patch could add a configuration settting to /opt/
local/etc/ports/ports.conf.

Here's what appears to be a patch that creates symlinks instead of
hardlinks.

For now I'm hacking my own copy of the file, but I wanted to put this
out there in case anybody else is checking a DP install into Subversion.

Regards,
Blair

PS I know about rsync and use rsync daily, but we need a versioned
version of the DP install so we can roll our client backward in time
in case there are any issues.

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<[hidden email]>

darwinports-image-use-symlinks.patch.txt (599 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Putting DP into Subversion: Using symlinks instead of hardlinks for activated packages

Shantonu Sen-2
Instead change this line:
# Type of installation to do for ports, "direct" or "image".  See
documentation.
portinstalltype         image

To "direct". That will avoid both hard links and symlinks.

Shantonu

On Mar 28, 2006, at 8:18 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:

> I'm working on putting my DarwinPorts install into Subversion to
> make it easy to distribute an install to clients.  While Subversion
> 1.2.x and greater can handle symlinks, it doesn't distinguigh
> hardlinks, so you don't get the nice space savings that are
> possible, and in fact, would get a doubling of the disk space.
>
> I'm not a TCL expert and don't have the cycles to make a real
> patch, but I think a real patch could add a configuration settting
> to /opt/local/etc/ports/ports.conf.
>
> Here's what appears to be a patch that creates symlinks instead of
> hardlinks.
>
> For now I'm hacking my own copy of the file, but I wanted to put
> this out there in case anybody else is checking a DP install into
> Subversion.
>
> Regards,
> Blair
>
> PS I know about rsync and use rsync daily, but we need a versioned
> version of the DP install so we can roll our client backward in
> time in case there are any issues.
>
> --
> Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
> <[hidden email]>
> Subversion training, consulting and support
> http://www.orcaware.com/svn/
>
> <darwinports-image-use-symlinks.patch.txt>

Re: Putting DP into Subversion: Using symlinks instead of hardlinks for activated packages

Blair Zajac
Thanks for the tip.  I looked at that, but having the image feature is nice, so
you can easily try different versions.

BTW, I also ran into problems with rsync deleting all the .svn directories for
the local copy of the port tree.  I ended up having to edit
/Library/Tcl/darwinports1.0/darwinports.tcl and add --cvs-exclude to the rsync
commands.  This was confusing given that you would think to edit the
etc/ports/ports.conf to change the rsync option, but that's not the case.

Regards,
Blair