PowerPC / 10.4 / 10.5

Jason Pepas
Hello,

I've just recently picked up a few PowerPC Macs and have been looking at Tigerbrew, MacPorts, Gentoo Prefix, etc, possibly to help out if I can.

If there are any active 10.4 / 10.5 PPC users, I'd love to get in touch!

Thanks,
Jason Pepas

Re: PowerPC / 10.4 / 10.5

Ken Cunningham
I've just recently picked up a few PowerPC Macs and have been looking at
Tigerbrew, MacPorts, Gentoo Prefix, etc, possibly to help out if I can.

If there are any active 10.4 / 10.5 PPC users, I'd love to get in touch!

You’re in the right place.

Dunno about Gentoo on PPC — I tried it a few times, my video card was apparently no good, spent three days looking for video card drivers and trying to get them to work on the old version of Unix that was still available. Gave up.

TigerBrew is a nice project from Misty, and some seem to have success with it, but IMHO none of these projects can hold a candle to what MacPorts can offer.

We have been lucky with some very strong compiler support from an interested Apple engineer in the past, and we’re still running with that support. And in addition, several of us have been fixing ports along the way.

There are thousands of ports that build on Tiger and Leopard PPC, and there is interest here in that.

Welcome!

Ken

PS. The current biggest single issue with Tiger is that meson insists on using @rpath during builds (but not installs), and this is causing some troubles. I have been working on fixing that, and there are some “hacks” in meson now to make Tiger work better, but if you know python, linkers, and @rpath please feel free to dive in / fix this and we’ll be back in gear for 10 more years. — K

PSS - we are pretty close to clang / llvm working on PPC. I have libc++ and clang-7.0 working on Tiger Intel now. Almost there. — K

Re: PowerPC / 10.4 / 10.5

MacPorts - Users mailing list
Hi Jason,

Jason Pepas wrote:

> I've just recently picked up a few PowerPC Macs and have been looking
> at Tigerbrew, MacPorts, Gentoo Prefix, etc, possibly to help out if I can.
>
> If there are any active 10.4 / 10.5 PPC users, I'd love to get in touch!

Yes there are! I still have a heart for PPC. I do run MacPorts on 10.5
and did a lot of hacking to keep some software running on it together
with Ken who is the "master" of keeping MacPorts on old systems alive. I
also run 10.5 avidly on Intel.

I also run Linux on PowerPC and fight to get software still supporting
that lovable CPU.

So you are not forgotten. I do not use Tigerbrew and Gentoo Prefix - I
concentrate only on MacPorts, it is a bit "manual" on older systems
already that I have no intent to mix on one system.

Riccardo

Re: PowerPC / 10.4 / 10.5

Jeffrey Walton
On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 12:55 PM Jason Pepas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just recently picked up a few PowerPC Macs and have been looking at Tigerbrew, MacPorts, Gentoo Prefix, etc, possibly to help out if I can.
>
> If there are any active 10.4 / 10.5 PPC users, I'd love to get in touch!

Another PPC hotspot is the Debian PPC mailing list at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/. Debian ports to the old
Apple hardware. I think nearly all of the traffic on the list is folks
resurrecting old Apple hardware.

The Debian PPC list is very active. A fellow named John Paul Adrian
Glaubitz took over maintenance of some packages, and the work is
moving forward in leaps and bounds.

If you like the old PPC hardware, then check this out for a wish-list
item: https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/. It's a POWER9 workstation.

Jeff

Re: PowerPC / 10.4 / 10.5

Another PPC hotspot is the Debian PPC mailing list at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/. Debian ports to the old
Apple hardware
Thanks for that link. Looks like progress is being made.