Port For Android

Patrick Wright
Is there a webkit port for Android that is readily available?

That comes with the minibrowser option that normal GTK webkit has.  I want the mini browser for android but don't want to use angle if possible.

Re: Port For Android

Michael Catanzaro
On Tue, 2017-03-07 at 18:35 -0500, Patrick Wright wrote:
> Is there a webkit port for Android that is readily available?

No, sorry. This is actually the first time I've heard any interest in
WebKit for Android.

> That comes with the minibrowser option that normal GTK webkit has.  I
> want the mini browser for android but don't want to use angle if
> possible.

For better or for worse, all WebKit ports require ANGLE.

Michael

Re: Port For Android

Patrick Wright
Thanks, I saw that Webkit source from github came with an angle implementation of android window that I assume would host a browser. it was implemented in angle. Which to me just means the ability to host openGL ES on Linux, Mac, etc.  I know that angle can be ported to Android. I guess that may be one way to get my own browser window on Android.

However, in the source code of android. There is an implementation of Webkit show here: https://developer.android.com/reference/android/webkit/package-summary.html . it is just very slow and restrictive.

If i wanted to get my own browser window and not use stock android webkit implementation. That was super fast to load. What would you recommend if i may ask?

On Mar 7, 2017 7:45 PM, "Michael Catanzaro" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2017-03-07 at 18:35 -0500, Patrick Wright wrote:
> Is there a webkit port for Android that is readily available?

No, sorry. This is actually the first time I've heard any interest in
WebKit for Android.

> That comes with the minibrowser option that normal GTK webkit has.  I
> want the mini browser for android but don't want to use angle if
> possible.

For better or for worse, all WebKit ports require ANGLE.

Michael

Re: Port For Android

Maciej Stachowiak

Android is not a supported platforms for current WebKit and has not been in a while. You will not be able to build for Android without a major porting effort.

Android WebKit was originally a fork of an old version that may not have even been fully merged back before we purged it. Recent versions may be based on Blink under the covers. Current versions definitely do not come from the WebKit repository in any case.

Regards,
Maciej

On Mar 7, 2017, at 5:07 PM, Patrick Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks, I saw that Webkit source from github came with an angle implementation of android window that I assume would host a browser. it was implemented in angle. Which to me just means the ability to host openGL ES on Linux, Mac, etc.  I know that angle can be ported to Android. I guess that may be one way to get my own browser window on Android.

However, in the source code of android. There is an implementation of Webkit show here: https://developer.android.com/reference/android/webkit/package-summary.html . it is just very slow and restrictive.

If i wanted to get my own browser window and not use stock android webkit implementation. That was super fast to load. What would you recommend if i may ask?

On Mar 7, 2017 7:45 PM, "Michael Catanzaro" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2017-03-07 at 18:35 -0500, Patrick Wright wrote:
> Is there a webkit port for Android that is readily available?

No, sorry. This is actually the first time I've heard any interest in
WebKit for Android.

> That comes with the minibrowser option that normal GTK webkit has.  I
> want the mini browser for android but don't want to use angle if
> possible.

For better or for worse, all WebKit ports require ANGLE.

Michael

Re: Port For Android

Sergio Villar Senin
O Mar, 07-03-2017 ás 20:07 -0500, Patrick Wright escribiu:

> However, in the source code of android. There is an implementation of
> Webkit show here: https://developer.android.com/reference/android/web
> kit/package-summary.html . it is just very slow and restrictive.

That's the Android WebView which is based on Blink (Chromium). The
architecture is completely different to desktop Chromium though due to
platform limitations in Android.

BR

Re: Port For Android

Yusuke SUZUKI
FYI, recently, android port is released by Naver WebKit team

Regards,
Yusuke Suzuki