Please Help - can't install ufraw

Issa, Mo
Please Help - can't install ufraw Hi all --

I’m trying to install ufraw on Mac OS X Leopard to use with ResourceSpace and every time I try to install the package using MacPorts, it fails and gives me this error message:

sudo port install ufraw
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for ufrawError: Unable to execute port: Can't install poppler because conflicting ports are installed: xpdf

I researched this quite a bit and can’t find a solution for it. I’m just following the instructions listed here to install ResourceSpace:

http://wiki.resourcespace.org/index.php/Installing_on_Mac_OS_X_Leopard

Thanks,

Mo.

Re: Please Help - can't install ufraw

On Oct 19, 2010, at 09:56, Mo Issa wrote:

> I’m trying to install ufraw on Mac OS X Leopard to use with ResourceSpace and every time I try to install the package using MacPorts, it fails and gives me this error message:
>
> sudo port install ufraw
> Password:
> --->  Computing dependencies for ufrawError: Unable to execute port: Can't install poppler because conflicting ports are installed: xpdf

You are trying to install ufraw, which eventually depends on poppler, but you already have xpdf installed.
You cannot have xpdf and poppler installed and active at the same time.
Deactivate xpdf if you want to install ufraw (and therefore poppler)

sudo port deactivate xpdf

> I researched this quite a bit and can’t find a solution for it.

The ports were only marked as conflicting a few days ago (though the conflict itself has existed forever).

Re: Please Help - can't install ufraw

David Evans-2
 On 10/19/10 8:00 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2010, at 09:56, Mo Issa wrote:
>
>> I’m trying to install ufraw on Mac OS X Leopard to use with ResourceSpace and every time I try to install the package using MacPorts, it fails and gives me this error message:
>>
>> sudo port install ufraw
>> Password:
>> --->  Computing dependencies for ufrawError: Unable to execute port: Can't install poppler because conflicting ports are installed: xpdf
> You are trying to install ufraw, which eventually depends on poppler, but you already have xpdf installed.
> You cannot have xpdf and poppler installed and active at the same time.
> Deactivate xpdf if you want to install ufraw (and therefore poppler)
>
> sudo port deactivate xpdf
>

>> I researched this quite a bit and can’t find a solution for it.
> The ports were only marked as conflicting a few days ago (though the conflict itself has existed forever).

Note that poppler and xpdf can co-exist if poppler is installed first
and then xpdf is installed
with the +with_poppler variant.

sudo port deactivate xpdf
sudo port install poppler
sudo port install xpdf +with_poppler

On Oct 19, 2010, at 10:08, David Evans wrote:

> Note that poppler and xpdf can co-exist if poppler is installed first
> and then xpdf is installed
> with the +with_poppler variant.
>
> sudo port deactivate xpdf
> sudo port install poppler
> sudo port install xpdf +with_poppler

Oh. Why don't we delete that variant and make the xpdf port always do that?

On Oct 19, 2010, at 10:24, David Evans wrote:

> On 10/19/10 8:14 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Why don't we delete that variant and make the xpdf port always do that?
>>

> I agree but there is a political history behind this.
>
> Xpdf was first and poppler is an off-shoot of the original xpdf code written
> as a library to allow other projects to use it.
>
> The two have diverged some-what and it has only been relatively recently
> that
> xpdf  was modified to allow linking to poppler rather than use its own code.
>
> Xpdf web site still doesn't mention poppler although it is the variant
> that is
> currently being maintained (xpdf hasn't had a change in a year and then only
> minor).
>
> But the solution that you propose would be the one that works.
>
> Perhaps just making the +with_poppler variant a default variant would
> fix the
> problem and allow xpdf purists to use xpdf without poppler (if they
> really never
> want to use poppler).

If the variant is kept, I would want it renamed to just "+poppler" (we do not name variants with "with_" or "without_" prefixes in MacPorts).

Also if the variant is kept my addition of the conflicts keywords needs to be fixed to only apply the conflict if it's actually relevant.

 On 10/19/10 8:31 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2010, at 10:24, David Evans wrote:
>> On 10/19/10 8:14 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> Why don't we delete that variant and make the xpdf port always do that?
>>>
>> I agree but there is a political history behind this.
>>
>> Xpdf was first and poppler is an off-shoot of the original xpdf code written
>> as a library to allow other projects to use it.
>>
>> The two have diverged some-what and it has only been relatively recently
>> that
>> xpdf  was modified to allow linking to poppler rather than use its own code.
>>
>> Xpdf web site still doesn't mention poppler although it is the variant
>> that is
>> currently being maintained (xpdf hasn't had a change in a year and then only
>> minor).
>>
>> But the solution that you propose would be the one that works.
>>
>> Perhaps just making the +with_poppler variant a default variant would
>> fix the
>> problem and allow xpdf purists to use xpdf without poppler (if they
>> really never
>> want to use poppler).
> If the variant is kept, I would want it renamed to just "+poppler" (we do not name variants with "with_" or "without_" prefixes in MacPorts).
>
> Also if the variant is kept my addition of the conflicts keywords needs to be fixed to only apply the conflict if it's actually relevant.

Well, saying it that way sounds a bit too contrived to me so I would
vote to just make the poppler dependency
the default behavior without any variant.

Re: Please Help - can't install ufraw

Issa, Mo
Re: Please Help - can't install ufraw
Now, I’m getting this every time I try to install ufraw and poppler. This is after I deactivated xpdf. Can anyone help?

Many Thanks,

Mo.

URMP-236160:~ moi$ sudo port install poppler
--->  Computing dependencies for poppler
--->  Dependencies to be installed: curl curl-ca-bundle gtk2 atk glib2 dbus gtk-doc docbook-xml docbook-xml-4.1.2 xmlcatmgr docbook-xml-4.2 docbook-xml-4.3 docbook-xml-4.4 docbook-xml-4.5 docbook-xml-5.0 docbook-xsl gnome-doc-utils intltool gnome-common p5-getopt-long p5-pathtools p5-scalar-list-utils p5-xml-parser iso-codes libxslt py26-libxml2 rarian getopt jasper pango cairo libpixman shared-mime-info xorg-libXcomposite xorg-compositeproto xorg-libXfixes xorg-fixesproto xorg-libXcursor xorg-libXdamage xorg-damageproto xorg-libXi xorg-libXinerama xorg-xineramaproto openjpeg poppler-data
--->  Extracting curl-ca-bundle
Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: xinstall: Cannot stat: /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/curl/certdata-1.65.txt, No such file or directory
Log for curl-ca-bundle is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_net_curl-ca-bundle/main.log
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: curl curl-ca-bundle gtk2 atk glib2 dbus gtk-doc docbook-xml docbook-xml-4.1.2 xmlcatmgr docbook-xml-4.2 docbook-xml-4.3 docbook-xml-4.4 docbook-xml-4.5 docbook-xml-5.0 docbook-xsl gnome-doc-utils intltool gnome-common p5-getopt-long p5-pathtools p5-scalar-list-utils p5-xml-parser iso-codes libxslt py26-libxml2 rarian getopt jasper pango cairo libpixman shared-mime-info xorg-libXcomposite xorg-compositeproto xorg-libXfixes xorg-fixesproto xorg-libXcursor xorg-libXdamage xorg-damageproto xorg-libXi xorg-libXinerama xorg-xineramaproto openjpeg poppler-data
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

 On 10/19/10 8:00 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2010, at 09:56, Mo Issa wrote:
>
>> I’m trying to install ufraw on Mac OS X Leopard to use with ResourceSpace and every time I try to install the package using MacPorts, it fails and gives me this error message:
>>
>> sudo port install ufraw
>> Password:
>> --->  Computing dependencies for ufrawError: Unable to execute port: Can't install poppler because conflicting ports are installed: xpdf
> You are trying to install ufraw, which eventually depends on poppler, but you already have xpdf installed.
> You cannot have xpdf and poppler installed and active at the same time.
> Deactivate xpdf if you want to install ufraw (and therefore poppler)
>
> sudo port deactivate xpdf
>

>> I researched this quite a bit and can’t find a solution for it.
> The ports were only marked as conflicting a few days ago (though the conflict itself has existed forever).

Note that poppler and xpdf can co-exist if poppler is installed first
and then xpdf is installed
with the +with_poppler variant.

sudo port deactivate xpdf
sudo port install poppler
sudo port install xpdf +with_poppler

Re: Cannot stat certdata-1.65.txt (was: Re: Please Help - can't install ufraw)

sudo port clean --all curl-ca-bundle and try again.

You are experiencing an error that has already been fixed for the upcoming release MacPorts 1.9.2.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/25937

The problem is you originally fetched curl-ca-bundle without using sudo.

 On 10/19/10 8:48 AM, David Evans wrote:

>  On 10/19/10 8:31 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>>>
>>> I agree but there is a political history behind this.
>>>
>>> Xpdf was first and poppler is an off-shoot of the original xpdf code written
>>> as a library to allow other projects to use it.
>>>
>>> The two have diverged some-what and it has only been relatively recently
>>> that
>>> xpdf  was modified to allow linking to poppler rather than use its own code.
>>>
>>> Xpdf web site still doesn't mention poppler although it is the variant
>>> that is
>>> currently being maintained (xpdf hasn't had a change in a year and then only
>>> minor).
>>>
>>> But the solution that you propose would be the one that works.
>>>
>>> Perhaps just making the +with_poppler variant a default variant would
>>> fix the
>>> problem and allow xpdf purists to use xpdf without poppler (if they
>>> really never
>>> want to use poppler).
>> If the variant is kept, I would want it renamed to just "+poppler" (we do not name variants with "with_" or "without_" prefixes in MacPorts).
>>
>> Also if the variant is kept my addition of the conflicts keywords needs to be fixed to only apply the conflict if it's actually relevant.
>>

> Well, saying it that way sounds a bit too contrived to me so I would
> vote to just make the poppler dependency
> the default behavior without any variant.

Conflict between xpdf and poppler resolved in r72519, r72520 as
suggested by Ryan. Conflicts statements
removed.

Re: Please Help - can't install ufraw

Eric Hall-4
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 09:55:37AM -0700, David Evans wrote:

>  On 10/19/10 8:48 AM, David Evans wrote:

> >> If the variant is kept, I would want it renamed to just "+poppler" (we do not name variants with "with_" or "without_" prefixes in MacPorts).
> >>
> >> Also if the variant is kept my addition of the conflicts keywords needs to be fixed to only apply the conflict if it's actually relevant.
> >>

> > Well, saying it that way sounds a bit too contrived to me so I would
> > vote to just make the poppler dependency
> > the default behavior without any variant.

> Conflict between xpdf and poppler resolved in r72519, r72520 as
> suggested by Ryan. Conflicts statements
> removed.

[snip]

        As I noted in the reopened ticket:

        Did anyone do any testing to verify that the poppler
command line utilities perform in the same way the xpdf command
line utilities do? If not, (and there are differences) then I agree
that this is a "dangerous" sort of change - people who know what
the xpdf package contains (not just the xpdf X11 pdf viewer) won't
get what they are expecting.
        Making an xpdf-tools and poppler-tools set of ports (or similar)
and making them not conflict seems like the best solution. I'd suggest
that the poppler-tools alter the binary and man page names to reflect
their origin (as they came later than the xpdf tools).

        If anyone has a bit of time to make the xpdf-tools (or xpdf-utils,
take your pick) and poppler-tools ports, that would be a great help.

                -eric

 On 10/19/10 10:05 AM, Eric Hall wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 09:55:37AM -0700, David Evans wrote:

>>> Well, saying it that way sounds a bit too contrived to me so I would
>>> vote to just make the poppler dependency
>>> the default behavior without any variant.

>> Conflict between xpdf and poppler resolved in r72519, r72520 as
>> suggested by Ryan. Conflicts statements
>> removed.
>>
> [snip]
>
> As I noted in the reopened ticket:
>
> Did anyone do any testing to verify that the poppler
> command line utilities perform in the same way the xpdf command
> line utilities do? If not, (and there are differences) then I agree
> that this is a "dangerous" sort of change - people who know what
> the xpdf package contains (not just the xpdf X11 pdf viewer) won't
> get what they are expecting.
> Making an xpdf-tools and poppler-tools set of ports (or similar)
> and making them not conflict seems like the best solution. I'd suggest
> that the poppler-tools alter the binary and man page names to reflect
> their origin (as they came later than the xpdf tools).
>

> If anyone has a bit of time to make the xpdf-tools (or xpdf-utils,
> take your pick) and poppler-tools ports, that would be a great help.
>

> -eric

Since you seem to have a better idea of the issues involved here, I
would suggest that you
take a crack at creating these Portfiles yourself and submit them via
trac for review.  MacPorts
is a self-serve lunch counter and we can always use help from
knowledgeable individuals.

The current fix removes the forced conflict between the two ports which
just makes them
both unusable for anyone.  This is an improvement but there is always
room for more.

Re: A question about conflicts?

On Oct 19, 2010, at 13:07, Keith J. Schultz wrote:

> O.K. I have to deactivate xpdf to install ufraw.
>
> My Question is:
>
> CAN I SAFELY ACTIVE XPDF AFTER THE INSTALL.
>
> thanx in advance.

You would have to deactivate poppler before being able to reactivate xpdf again. Or, such was the case until a few hours ago, when Dave changed the ports to no longer conflict. So "sudo port selfupdate" to get those changes.

Please Help - can't get mysql to run

Issa, Mo
Please Help - can't get mysql to run
Hello all --

after I successfully installed mysql and the server port using macports, I rebooted, then I’ve been trying to create the initial database but it just won’t work. I researched this all day and it still won’t work. I’m on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and I keep on getting this error message when I execute the command to install the db:

sudo /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
Password:
Installing MySQL system tables...
ERROR: 1004  Can't create file '/var/tmp/#sqle6_1_0.frm' (errno: 9)
101020 15:57:13 [ERROR] Aborting

101020 15:57:13 [Note] /opt/local/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete

Installation of system tables failed!  Examine the logs in
/opt/local/var/db/mysql5 for more information.

You can try to start the mysqld daemon with:

    shell> /opt/local/libexec/mysqld --skip-grant &

and use the command line tool /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql
to connect to the mysql database and look at the grant tables:

    shell> /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql -u root mysql
    mysql> show tables

Try 'mysqld --help' if you have problems with paths.  Using --log
gives you a log in /opt/local/var/db/mysql5 that may be helpful.

Please consult the MySQL manual section
'Problems running mysql_install_db', and the manual section that
describes problems on your OS.  Another information source are the
MySQL email archives available at http://lists.mysql.com/.

Please check all of the above before mailing us!  And remember, if
you do mail us, you MUST use the /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqlbug script!

I thought this was a permission issue but it still doesn’t work. Can any of you help. According to some research I’ve done, apparently the mysql user doesn’t have permission to write to the tmp directory so how do I go about giving it permission?

Many Thanks!

bigmo

Re: Please Help - can't get mysql to run

Bradley Giesbrecht

On Oct 20, 2010, at 3:08 PM, Mo Issa wrote:

[...]

Please create a new email for a new subject or it mess everyones message threading up.

Did you try the following?

sudo port load mysql5-server

man port
/load

Brad

On Oct 20, 2010, at 17:08, Mo Issa wrote:

>> after I successfully installed mysql and the server port using macports, I rebooted, then I’ve been trying to create the initial database but it just won’t work. I researched this all day and it still won’t work. I’m on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and I keep on getting this error message when I execute the command to install the db:
>>
>> sudo /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
>> Password:
>> Installing MySQL system tables...
>> ERROR: 1004  Can't create file '/var/tmp/#sqle6_1_0.frm' (errno: 9)

It sounds like your operating system's /var/tmp directory either doesn't exist or has the wrong permissions.

What is the output of the following command:

ls -ld /var/tmp

Re: Please Help - can't get mysql to run

Bradley Giesbrecht

On Oct 20, 2010, at 3:08 PM, Mo Issa wrote:

Hello all --

after I successfully installed mysql and the server port using macports, I rebooted, then I’ve been trying to create the initial database but it just won’t work. I researched this all day and it still won’t work. I’m on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and I keep on getting this error message when I execute the command to install the db:

sudo /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql

I have heard unverified reports that using a user alias does not work for some things.

Try:

/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_install_db --user=_mysql

Also, to verify a user:

dscl . read Users/mysql
dscl . read Users/_mysql

Brad

Re: Please Help - can't get mysql to run

Replying back to list...

On Oct 20, 2010, at 17:46, Mo Issa wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> It sounds like your operating system's /var/tmp directory either doesn't exist or has the wrong permissions.
>>
>> What is the output of the following command:
>>

>> ls -ld /var/tmp
>
> This is what I get:
>
> ls -ld /var/tmp
> drwxrwxrwt  38 root  wheel  1292 Oct 20 17:42 /var/tmp

Actually that looks fine.

Do you have the TMPDIR environment variable set? This bug report at Homebrew suggests having that variable set will cause this problem, so try unsetting that variable.

http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issuesearch?state=closed&q=1004#issue/2821

Re: Please Help - can't get mysql to run

Issa, Mo
Re: Please Help - can't get mysql to run
I tried the unset TMPDIR command and I still get the same error. This is driving me insane. Any help from you guys will be great!

Many Thanks,

Mo.

On Oct 21, 2010, at 10:05, Mo Issa wrote:

> I tried the unset TMPDIR command and I still get the same error. This is driving me insane. Any help from you guys will be great!

That was the only hit on Google that I found for the error message.

Anything else in your environment that might be weird? Could you show us the output of "env"?

You know what? I see I have TMPDIR set to that weird value myself. Guess that's an Apple standard thing (I certainly didn't set it myself) so that can't be the problem.