OpenModelica?

12

OpenModelica?

Murray Eisenberg-2
I’m trying to install the port of OpenModelica. The instructions at https://www.openmodelica.org/download/download-mac give, as first step:

    echo <a href="rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/" class="">rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/ >> /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf

But even with sudo, I’m getting a "Permission denied" error.

How to fix this?

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Re: OpenModelica?

David Herron-2
It's because the stdout redirect is executing as your user ID, and this has nothing to do with MacPorts

The solution is to first do:

sudo su -

This gets you to a full root shell.  Then you do the command you said.

+ David Herron

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 9:20 AM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m trying to install the port of OpenModelica. The instructions at https://www.openmodelica.org/download/download-mac give, as first step:

    echo rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/ >> /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf

But even with sudo, I’m getting a "Permission denied" error.

How to fix this?

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Re: OpenModelica?

Murray Eisenberg-2
Thanks, that seems to have worked.

To do the remaining steps…

port selfupdate
port install gcc44 # With the addition of llvm/clang as the default compiler in XCode, many ports now fail to build unless you force GCC to be used
port install openmodelica-devel +libraries +clang
…should I still stay in that root shell?

On 7 Apr2018, at 12:22 PM, David Herron <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ryan Schmidt-24

On Apr 7, 2018, at 11:27, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> Thanks, that seems to have worked.
>
> To do the remaining steps…
>
> port selfupdate
> port install gcc44 # With the addition of llvm/clang as the default compiler in XCode, many ports now fail to build unless you force GCC to be used
> port install openmodelica-devel +libraries +clang
>
> …should I still stay in that root shell?

It does say in their instructions, before those commands, "run (as root):"

You will need to be root to selfupdate and install ports, but usually you should do that by putting "sudo" in front of those commands.

It's unfortunate they're suggesting you should install an obsolete port like gcc44. The last version of gcc44 was released 6 years ago and we don't support it on High Sierra and later. The current stable version of gcc is gcc7.

Re: OpenModelica?

Ken Cunningham
sounds like this software needs a port and a maintainer!

Murray?

On Apr 7, 2018, at 12:49, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> sounds like this software needs a port and a maintainer!

It already has a port, and a collection of hundreds of related ports, in an entirely separate ports collection that the user must load into MacPorts in order to use. The previous messages in this thread describe Murray's attempts to do so on his system. I don't know why the developers of openmodelica have chosen to distribute their software in this way, rather than submit their portfiles for inclusion in the standard ports repository like everyone else does.

Re: OpenModelica?

Ken Cunningham

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 10:53, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 7, 2018, at 12:49, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>>
>> sounds like this software needs a port and a maintainer!
>
> It already has a port, and a collection of hundreds of related ports, in an entirely separate ports collection that the user must load into MacPorts in order to use. The previous messages in this thread describe Murray's attempts to do so on his system. I don't know why the developers of openmodelica have chosen to distribute their software in this way, rather than submit their portfiles for inclusion in the standard ports repository like everyone else does.

Ah. I see from Trac tickets this goes back a decade or more.

Re: OpenModelica?

Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E.

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 1:53 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 12:49, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>
>> sounds like this software needs a port and a maintainer!
>
> It already has a port, and a collection of hundreds of related ports, in an entirely separate ports collection that the user must load into MacPorts in order to use. The previous messages in this thread describe Murray's attempts to do so on his system. I don't know why the developers of openmodelica have chosen to distribute their software in this way, rather than submit their portfiles for inclusion in the standard ports repository like everyone else does.

I’ve been using this port for a long time successfully.  It is a good project.  They have tended to be responsive and helpful when issues on the Mac version have come up.
My impression of why they continue to operate this way is probably due to two things:  1)  Inertia…it’s the way that they have always done it.  2)  the openmodelica-devel port is auto generated because it links to the source files that change several times per day in their development repository.  They do also have separate ports for openmodelica and openmodelica-release that don’t change close to as often.

My guess is they would be fine with having a port created and maintained within macports, but they just don’t have the interested in doing it themselves, as they have a system that works.

--Adam

Re: OpenModelica?

Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E.

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 1:17 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 11:27, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>
>> Thanks, that seems to have worked.
>>
>> To do the remaining steps…
>>
>> port selfupdate
>> port install gcc44 # With the addition of llvm/clang as the default compiler in XCode, many ports now fail to build unless you force GCC to be used
>> port install openmodelica-devel +libraries +clang
>>
>> …should I still stay in that root shell?
>
> It does say in their instructions, before those commands, "run (as root):"
>
> You will need to be root to selfupdate and install ports, but usually you should do that by putting "sudo" in front of those commands.
>
> It's unfortunate they're suggesting you should install an obsolete port like gcc44. The last version of gcc44 was released 6 years ago and we don't support it on High Sierra and later. The current stable version of gcc is gcc7.

The current version of openmodelica doesn’t need, or use, gcc44 and the +clang variant is also not required.  I think that they have just not updated the mac instructions in a long time.  Currently, all that should be required to install openmodelica-devel is adding the repository to macports, then doing:

sudo port install openmodelica-devel +libraries

(and even +libraries is not necessary, but adds a number of useful libraries)

--Adam

Re: OpenModelica?

Murray Eisenberg-2
What’s happening now is befuddling to me. Doing the step

   echo <a href="rsync://build.openmodelica.org/macports/" class="">rsync://build.openmodelica.org/macports/ >> /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf

as root (sudo su - ) seems to have worked, as /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf now ends with:

However, continuing as root, doing the step

    port selfupdate

gives:

    Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync

Could there be some issue with MacPorts access to the openmodelica repository?

Using rsync is completely new to me, and I don’t even know how to find out whether a particular source exists.

On Apr 7, 2018, at 13:50, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> What’s happening now is befuddling to me. Doing the step
>
>    echo rsync://build.openmodelica.org/macports/ >> /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
>
> as root (sudo su - ) seems to have worked, as /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf now ends with:
>
>    rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports.tar [default]
>    rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/
>
> However, continuing as root, doing the step
>
>     port selfupdate
>
> gives:
>
>     Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync

Use the -v flag to get more information about why it failed:

sudo port -v selfupdate

Re: OpenModelica?

Murray Eisenberg-2
The verbose flag on selfupdate shows that rsync-ing rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports.tar is OK, but then...

Synchronizing local ports tree from <a href="rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/" class="">rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/
rsync: getaddrinfo: build-openmodelica.org 873: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-52/rsync/clientserver.c(106) [receiver=2.6.9]
Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzvl --delete-after  '--exclude=/PortIndex*' <a href="rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/" class="">rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/ /opt/local/var/macports/sources/build-openmodelica.org/macports
Exit code: 10

On Apr 7, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 7, 2018, at 13:50, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

What’s happening now is befuddling to me. Doing the step

  echo <a href="rsync://build.openmodelica.org/macports/" class="">rsync://build.openmodelica.org/macports/ >> /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf

as root (sudo su - ) seems to have worked, as /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf now ends with:

However, continuing as root, doing the step

   port selfupdate

gives:

   Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync

Use the -v flag to get more information about why it failed:

sudo port -v selfupdate

looks like the domain name doesn’t exist.

Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzvl --delete-after  '--exclude=/PortIndex*' <a href="rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/" class="">rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/ /opt/local/var/macports/sources/build-openmodelica.org/macports
Exit code: 10
Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync
port sync failed: Synchronization of 1 source failed

Kens-MacBook-Pro:~$ nslookup build-openmodelica.org

** server can't find build-openmodelica.org: NXDOMAIN

Re: OpenModelica?

On Apr 7, 2018, at 13:56, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> On 7 Apr2018, at 2:51 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Apr 7, 2018, at 13:50, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>>
>>> What’s happening now is befuddling to me. Doing the step
>>>
>>>   echo rsync://build.openmodelica.org/macports/ >> /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
>>>
>>> as root (sudo su - ) seems to have worked, as /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf now ends with:
>>>
>>>   rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports.tar [default]
>>>   rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/
>>>
>>> However, continuing as root, doing the step
>>>
>>>    port selfupdate
>>>
>>> gives:
>>>
>>>    Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync
>>
>> Use the -v flag to get more information about why it failed:
>>
>> sudo port -v selfupdate
>
> The verbose flag on selfupdate shows that rsync-ing rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports.tar is OK, but then...
>
> Synchronizing local ports tree from rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/
> rsync: getaddrinfo: build-openmodelica.org 873: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-52/rsync/clientserver.c(106) [receiver=2.6.9]
> Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzvl --delete-after  '--exclude=/PortIndex*' rsync://build-openmodelica.org/macports/ /opt/local/var/macports/sources/build-openmodelica.org/macports
> Exit code: 10
> Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync

Well it should be build.openmodelica.org not build-openmodelica.org.

Re: OpenModelica?

Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E.
Did you mistype the echo command?
The rsync says build DOT openmodelica.org
while the error shows
build HYPHEN openmodelca.org

--Adam

On Apr 7, 2018, at 11:58 AM, Adam Dershowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

and sure enough, using the proper name

works just fine.

Another crisis averted.

Re: OpenModelica?

Murray Eisenberg-2
Ouch, yes, my disastrous typo in the repository name, sorry. (The first time I tried, without using "sudo su -“, I had copied the “echo rsync” command directly from the https://www.openmodelica.org/download/download-mac instructions. But the second time, using "sudo su -“ I just typed the command, clearly a mistake.

Now the sync with that repository has completed successfully, I’m watching the long installation process proceed.

(Using openmodelica will be an adventure, as I intend to use it as a source of models I can then import into Wolfram Mathematica and simulate there —  without having to acquire the expensive Wolfram SystemModeler.)

On Apr 7, 2018, at 12:54 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ouch, yes, my disastrous typo in the repository name, sorry. (The first time I tried, without using "sudo su -“, I had copied the “echo rsync” command directly from the https://www.openmodelica.org/download/download-mac instructions. But the second time, using "sudo su -“ I just typed the command, clearly a mistake.

Now the sync with that repository has completed successfully, I’m watching the long installation process proceed.

there may be some hiccups in this software yet to be discovered

I note it tries to link to both -stdlib=libc++ and -stdlib=libstdc++ on the link line, and that just can’t be good…

/usr/bin/clang++ -shared -Wl,-rpath,'@loader_path/../lib/x86_64-darwin17.5.0/omc/' -install_name @rpath/libomcruntime.dylib -o libomcruntime.dylib Error_omc.o Print_omc.o ErrorMessage.o systemimplmisc.o System_omc.o Lapack_omc.o Settings_omc.o UnitParserExt_omc.o unitparser.o IOStreamExt_omc.o Socket_omc.o ZeroMQ_omc.o getMemorySize.o is_utf8.o ptolemyio_omc.o SimulationResults_omc.o omc_communication.o omc_communication_impl.o Corba_omc.o -L

"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_build.openmodelica.org_macports_lang_openmodelica-devel/openmodelica-devel/work/openmodelica_1.13.0~dev-866-gb1271a6/build/lib/x86_64-darwin17.5.0/omc/" -lOpenModelicaRuntimeC -L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -arch x86_64   -lomcgc -lm -lpthread  -lstdc++ -Wl,-undefined -Wl,dynamic_lookup -llpsolve55 -lcolamd  -lzmq  -pipe -Os -stdlib=libc++ -arch x86_64 -stdlib=libstdc++ -std=c++11
clang: warning: libstdc++ is deprecated; move to libc++ [-Wdeprecated]
clang: warning: libstdc++ is deprecated; move to libc++ [-Wdeprecated]

Using any of the compiler variants provided is probably just wrong — if you want /usr/bin/clang++ don’t use any of the them, it appears. The clang variant gives you macports-clang-3.8.

Also, installing both gcc5 and gcc7 and libgcc6 and libgcc just seems nutty, so I added gcc6 and gcc7 to the fortran variants — but that has nothing to do with the above.

There are advantages to having your ports in the main repo, and having all of us look them over.

Re: OpenModelica?

Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E.

On Apr 7, 2018, at 4:02 PM, Ken Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ken

I know that a long time back, the default set of compilers didn’t work with OpenModelica, but that for a few years at least, the default set of variants has worked fine for building and using it.  Those instructions have probably just not been updated in a long time.

I don’t know about the link issue, but I haven’t yet seen any problem caused by it….so far (in years of use)

—Adam
12