NPAPI support to remain?

Michael Catanzaro
Hi,

It seems WebKit is the last modern web engine still supporting NPAPI.
Is Apple planning to continue supporting NPAPI and WebKitPluginProcess
for the foreseeable future? Or is it something that might be removed?

I am not foolish enough to recommend that anyone use NPAPI, but I am
curious about its future in WebKit.

Thanks,

Michael

Re: NPAPI support to remain?

Maciej Stachowiak

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 6:23 PM, Michael Catanzaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> It seems WebKit is the last modern web engine still supporting NPAPI. Is Apple planning to continue supporting NPAPI and WebKitPluginProcess for the foreseeable future? Or is it something that might be removed?
>
> I am not foolish enough to recommend that anyone use NPAPI, but I am curious about its future in WebKit.

On iOS, we've never supported plugins and don't plan to.

On macOS, Safari has been adding escalating plugin restrictions. Safari hasn't announced any plans to ban most or all plugins. It seems like many other browsers are moving in the direction of Flash-only. I don't think we'd want to run a non-NPAPI Flash, so we could not be able to remove the code unless we entirely removed support for all plugins, including Flash.

I personally (and I think also other WebKit folks at Apple) would be against implementing any alternative plugin APIs, such as PPAPI. Replacing NPAPI with PPAPI would not be a win.

Regards,
Maciej'

Re: NPAPI support to remain?

Ryosuke Niwa-2
On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Jul 13, 2017, at 6:23 PM, Michael Catanzaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems WebKit is the last modern web engine still supporting NPAPI. Is Apple planning to continue supporting NPAPI and WebKitPluginProcess for the foreseeable future? Or is it something that might be removed?
>>
>> I am not foolish enough to recommend that anyone use NPAPI, but I am curious about its future in WebKit.
>
> On iOS, we've never supported plugins and don't plan to.
>
> On macOS, Safari has been adding escalating plugin restrictions. Safari hasn't announced any plans to ban most or all plugins. It seems like many other browsers are moving in the direction of Flash-only. I don't think we'd want to run a non-NPAPI Flash, so we could not be able to remove the code unless we entirely removed support for all plugins, including Flash.
>
> I personally (and I think also other WebKit folks at Apple) would be against implementing any alternative plugin APIs, such as PPAPI. Replacing NPAPI with PPAPI would not be a win.

I agree we shouldn't add PPAPI or any other alternative plugin API.

- R. Niwa

Re: NPAPI support to remain?

Michael Catanzaro
On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree we shouldn't add PPAPI or any other alternative plugin API.
>
> - R. Niwa

OK cool! Sounds like we are all on the same page.

Michael