Mpv doesn't install

dan d.

I tried to install mpv @0.31.0.  The binary install bombed which is sometimes the case; likely there is no binary.

A install started; "make" but failed.

I'm using os10.10, might this have someting to do with it?

Any ideas?--

XR

Re: Mpv doesn't install

Craig Treleaven
> On May 12, 2020, at 12:00 PM, dan d. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tried to install mpv @0.31.0.  The binary install bombed which is sometimes the case; likely there is no binary.
>
> A install started; "make" but failed.
>
> I'm using os10.10, might this have someting to do with it?

mpv is failing to build on the 10.10 buildbot as well:

https://ports.macports.org/port/mpv/summary

Check the main.log — does your issue match any of the 8 open trac tickets?

Craig

Re: Mpv doesn't install

There is a "quite simple" Portfile patch that makes mpv work on the older systems here <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/60116>.

mpv has an active macos version, and the objective-c and SDK requirements advance fairly quickly.

but the fallback x11 version works OK, if you can live with it.

making the newer objective-c compatible with older SDKs is a bigger project -- I just don't have it in me.

Building against a newer SDK and deploying on older systems to get the macOS version is a better bet -- I don't know how much support is written into mpv for that with my quick look. Anyway, macports doesn't have much support for that yet, although who knows what the future may hold in that regard?

Best,

Re: Mpv doesn't install

dan d.

Could that patch be used with the standard "port install mpv" in some mannner?

XR

Re: Mpv doesn't install

On May 13, 2020, at 11:14, dan d. wrote:

> On Tue, 12 May 2020, Kenneth F. Cunningham wrote:
>
>> There is a "quite simple" Portfile patch that makes mpv work on the older systems here <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/60116>.

> Could that patch be used with the standard "port install mpv" in some mannner?

Yes. Instructions for trying patches before they've been committed are in our guide:

https://guide.macports.org/#development.patches.applying

As for when it will be committed to our repository, that depends on the maintainer of the port (to whom the ticket is assigned). Ken just added the patch to the ticket recently and the maintainer has not yet responded. If the maintainer does not respond within the customary 72 hour period, then Ken or any other committer can commit the change to the repository.

Re: Mpv doesn't install

dan d.

Thanks, I will wait to see what happens to the ticket in the next few days.

XR

Re: Mpv doesn't install

Ken Cunningham
https://github.com/kencu/macports-ports/commit/1fb5ca6f44bd3d7bc7f359debde0391903477a53

I should have a PR in the next day or so. Works on 10.7 -- now I just
have to build mpv on 10.6, 10.8, 10.9, and 10.10, and see what happens :>

I think there's one more tweak needed in the videotoolbox section of the
Portfile...

Ken