Quantcast

Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

Ryan Schmidt-24
I've just used Migration Assistant to migrate from one Sierra system to another. Since both systems are the same macOS version, I wasn't planning on following the Migration instructions in the wiki. (I was planning on rebuilding gmp, since I know it builds for a specific processor.) I ran into a problem that I haven't heard discussed before and I don't see addressed in the Migration instructions.

The problem is that the Migration Assistant explained that it would relocate users' home directories to the /Users directory -- all those users accounts that MacPorts had created for the various ports I've installed over the years. (cyrus, postgres, rabbitmq, snort, squid, etc.) And also MacPorts' own macports user account. It not only moved the home directories into /Users, it also added the standard directories (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures) to each one, and edited the user account so that its NFSHomeDirectory attribute points to the new location.

Obviously, I didn't want Migration Assistant to do any of that. But I didn't appear to be given much choice. For each user account, there was only a checkbox, which I kept checked because I wanted the users transferred to the new machine. I did not know what would happen if I unchecked the checkboxes: Would those user accounts and their home directories not be migrated? Would the user accounts be migrated without their home directories? Would the user accounts be migrated with the home directories kept in the original locations?

It looks like MacPorts automatically recreates its home directory in the normal location, but does not update the NFSHomeDirectory attribute of the user account.

What should users do if they are in this situation? Manually move each home directory back to where it belongs, delete the standard directories, and edit the user account's NFSHomeDirectory attribute? (That's a lot of work.) Is there anything users can do during or before migration to avoid this situation?

Re: Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

Bradley Giesbrecht-3
> On Feb 28, 2017, at 9:54 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've just used Migration Assistant to migrate from one Sierra system to another. Since both systems are the same macOS version, I wasn't planning on following the Migration instructions in the wiki. (I was planning on rebuilding gmp, since I know it builds for a specific processor.) I ran into a problem that I haven't heard discussed before and I don't see addressed in the Migration instructions.
>
> The problem is that the Migration Assistant explained that it would relocate users' home directories to the /Users directory -- all those users accounts that MacPorts had created for the various ports I've installed over the years. (cyrus, postgres, rabbitmq, snort, squid, etc.) And also MacPorts' own macports user account. It not only moved the home directories into /Users, it also added the standard directories (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures) to each one, and edited the user account so that its NFSHomeDirectory attribute points to the new location.
>
> Obviously, I didn't want Migration Assistant to do any of that. But I didn't appear to be given much choice. For each user account, there was only a checkbox, which I kept checked because I wanted the users transferred to the new machine. I did not know what would happen if I unchecked the checkboxes: Would those user accounts and their home directories not be migrated? Would the user accounts be migrated without their home directories? Would the user accounts be migrated with the home directories kept in the original locations?
>
> It looks like MacPorts automatically recreates its home directory in the normal location, but does not update the NFSHomeDirectory attribute of the user account.
>
> What should users do if they are in this situation? Manually move each home directory back to where it belongs, delete the standard directories, and edit the user account's NFSHomeDirectory attribute? (That's a lot of work.) Is there anything users can do during or before migration to avoid this situation?

I have no answer but building a port migration tool sounds like a good GSoC 2017 project.

Brad

Re: Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

Brandon Allbery

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 12:54 AM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've just used Migration Assistant to migrate from one Sierra system to another. Since both systems are the same macOS version, I wasn't planning on following the Migration instructions in the wiki. (I was planning on rebuilding gmp, since I know it builds for a specific processor.) I ran into a problem that I haven't heard discussed before and I don't see addressed in the Migration instructions.

Frankly, I'd consider this an example of why trying to shortcut around the Migration instructions is a bad idea.

I'm not talking about an unusual case. I'm talking about the completely normal case that I expect all users will undergo when moving to a new computer: complete the setup assistant and use it to transfer data from their old computer. If they accept the defaults of that operation, as I did, they are left in the situation I am now left in.

The migration instructions are for migrating from one CPU arch to another, or from one macOS version to another. Neither applies here.

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not talking about an unusual case. I'm talking about the completely normal case that I expect all users will undergo when moving to a new computer: complete the setup assistant and use it to transfer data from their old computer. If they accept the defaults of that operation, as I did, they are left in the situation I am now left in.

But there's not a lot that MacPorts can do about Apple's defaults, and after the fact it's a bit difficult to try to undo the damage it does.

Re: Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

Ryan Schmidt-24

> On Mar 1, 2017, at 17:34, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not talking about an unusual case. I'm talking about the completely normal case that I expect all users will undergo when moving to a new computer: complete the setup assistant and use it to transfer data from their old computer. If they accept the defaults of that operation, as I did, they are left in the situation I am now left in.
>
> But there's not a lot that MacPorts can do about Apple's defaults,

Obviously.

> and after the fact it's a bit difficult to try to undo the damage it does.

So what should I do?

I don't believe following the migration instructions now will do anything other than waste a lot of time. Reinstalling MacPorts will recreate the home directory in the usual place, but will not edit the user account to have the correct NFSHomeDirectory. Uninstalling all ports will not remove the user accounts those ports might have created, nor will it touch their home directories. Reinstalling the ports will not alter those user accounts' NFSHomeDirectory setting either.

Re: Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

> On Mar 1, 2017, at 17:07, Bradley Giesbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 28, 2017, at 9:54 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've just used Migration Assistant to migrate from one Sierra system to another. Since both systems are the same macOS version, I wasn't planning on following the Migration instructions in the wiki. (I was planning on rebuilding gmp, since I know it builds for a specific processor.) I ran into a problem that I haven't heard discussed before and I don't see addressed in the Migration instructions.
>>
>> The problem is that the Migration Assistant explained that it would relocate users' home directories to the /Users directory -- all those users accounts that MacPorts had created for the various ports I've installed over the years. (cyrus, postgres, rabbitmq, snort, squid, etc.) And also MacPorts' own macports user account. It not only moved the home directories into /Users, it also added the standard directories (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures) to each one, and edited the user account so that its NFSHomeDirectory attribute points to the new location.
>>
>> Obviously, I didn't want Migration Assistant to do any of that. But I didn't appear to be given much choice. For each user account, there was only a checkbox, which I kept checked because I wanted the users transferred to the new machine. I did not know what would happen if I unchecked the checkboxes: Would those user accounts and their home directories not be migrated? Would the user accounts be migrated without their home directories? Would the user accounts be migrated with the home directories kept in the original locations?
>>
>> It looks like MacPorts automatically recreates its home directory in the normal location, but does not update the NFSHomeDirectory attribute of the user account.
>>
>> What should users do if they are in this situation? Manually move each home directory back to where it belongs, delete the standard directories, and edit the user account's NFSHomeDirectory attribute? (That's a lot of work.) Is there anything users can do during or before migration to avoid this situation?
>
> I have no answer but building a port migration tool sounds like a good GSoC 2017 project.

What do you think this tool should do?

Re: Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

Mark Anderson-10
Yeah, I've never used the migration assistant since it has always caused me heartache, but I bet we have a lot of users that do. It's an interesting case. We should at least come up with advice as to how to get rid of all this crap and start fresh.

—Mark
_______________________
Mark E. Anderson <[hidden email]>

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2017, at 17:09, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 12:54 AM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've just used Migration Assistant to migrate from one Sierra system to another. Since both systems are the same macOS version, I wasn't planning on following the Migration instructions in the wiki. (I was planning on rebuilding gmp, since I know it builds for a specific processor.) I ran into a problem that I haven't heard discussed before and I don't see addressed in the Migration instructions.
>
> Frankly, I'd consider this an example of why trying to shortcut around the Migration instructions is a bad idea.

The migration instructions are for migrating from one CPU arch to another, or from one macOS version to another. Neither applies here.

Re: Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

Mark Anderson-10
I think the "best" course of action for you is to delete all the users and then follow the migration instructions. But yeah, there has to be some way to undo this damage programmatically.

—Mark
_______________________

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> It looks like MacPorts automatically recreates its home directory in the normal location, but does not update the NFSHomeDirectory attribute of the user account.
>>>
>>> What should users do if they are in this situation? Manually move each home directory back to where it belongs, delete the standard directories, and edit the user account's NFSHomeDirectory attribute? (That's a lot of work.) Is there anything users can do during or before migration to avoid this situation?
>>
>> I have no answer but building a port migration tool sounds like a good GSoC 2017 project.

For a start it should automate the tasks in our Migration docs.

In your case, you would only migrated the real user accounts you wanted and then run the migration tool which would install a new port command and using PortIndex would uninstall and reinstall requested ports with variants.

Brad

On Mar 1, 2017, at 18:04, Mark Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the "best" course of action for you is to delete all the users and then follow the migration instructions. But yeah, there has to be some way to undo this damage programmatically.

I don't believe following the migration instructions will do anything useful. It's for moving to a different CPU or OS version; I'm not doing either.

Deleting ports' user accounts and their home directories, then deactivating and reactivating the ports that created them, should cause new accounts and home directories to be created in the right place. This assumes there is no useful information in the home directories; I don't know if that's the case. It also assumes there is no data anywhere else owned by those users; recreating the users would result in different user IDs.

There is certainly stuff in the MacPorts prefix that should be owned by the macports user so deleting and recreating that user would require additional cleanup in the form of changing all that ownership. I'd prefer to avoid that, so it would be simpler to just edit the NFSHomeDirectory of the macports user and move its home directory back. That could also be done with all the other users; I should be able to get the correct home directory locations by using dscl on the old computer.

I'm just unclear why I'm the first to report this problem. Has nobody used migration assistant? Or has everybody just ended up with broken installations and either not realized or not bothered to report it?

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't believe following the migration instructions will do anything useful. It's for moving to a different CPU or OS version; I'm not doing either.

In fact only one change is needed: you do some of the early steps on the origin system instead of all of it on the destination. I've used an adjusted version of that a few times to do migrations, including with Apple's Migration Assistant in play.

Re: Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

Bradley Giesbrecht-3
> On Mar 1, 2017, at 4:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mar 1, 2017, at 18:04, Mark Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think the "best" course of action for you is to delete all the users and then follow the migration instructions. But yeah, there has to be some way to undo this damage programmatically.
>
> I don't believe following the migration instructions will do anything useful. It's for moving to a different CPU or OS version; I'm not doing either.
>
> Deleting ports' user accounts and their home directories, then deactivating and reactivating the ports that created them, should cause new accounts and home directories to be created in the right place. This assumes there is no useful information in the home directories; I don't know if that's the case. It also assumes there is no data anywhere else owned by those users; recreating the users would result in different user IDs.
>
> There is certainly stuff in the MacPorts prefix that should be owned by the macports user so deleting and recreating that user would require additional cleanup in the form of changing all that ownership. I'd prefer to avoid that, so it would be simpler to just edit the NFSHomeDirectory of the macports user and move its home directory back. That could also be done with all the other users; I should be able to get the correct home directory locations by using dscl on the old computer.

I was not suggesting a fix for your current situation but rather a way to document and avoid it. Other then using dscl, as you mention, to manually fix things I don’t know what else can be done after the fact.

> I'm just unclear why I'm the first to report this problem. Has nobody used migration assistant? Or has everybody just ended up with broken installations and either not realized or not bothered to report it?

I have used migration assistant with the approach I mentioned, I migrated only my “home” account and followed the MacPorts migration instructions. If I ended up with broken ports I yet to notice. Perhaps we could register the accounts port creates along with file permissions and provide “fix permissions” functionality similar to Disk Utility.

Brad

db

Could you elaborate?

On 2017-03-02 00:34, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I'm not talking about an unusual case. I'm talking about the
>     completely normal case that I expect all users will undergo when
>     moving to a new computer: complete the setup assistant and use it to
>     transfer data from their old computer. If they accept the defaults
>     of that operation, as I did, they are left in the situation I am now
>     left in.
>

> But there's not a lot that MacPorts can do about Apple's defaults, and
> after the fact it's a bit difficult to try to undo the damage it does.

Of course we cannot change the Migration Assistant itself.

However, this observation probably means we are not using the right
naming convention or flags to exclude these accounts from a migration to
a new machine...

Re: Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

mf2k

> On Mar 1, 2017, at 5:26 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 1, 2017, at 4:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm just unclear why I'm the first to report this problem. Has nobody used migration assistant? Or has everybody just ended up with broken installations and either not realized or not bothered to report it?
>
> I have used migration assistant with the approach I mentioned, I migrated only my “home” account and followed the MacPorts migration instructions. If I ended up with broken ports I yet to notice. Perhaps we could register the accounts port creates along with file permissions and provide “fix permissions” functionality similar to Disk Utility.

I have used the Migration Assistant many times. I too only ever migrate the real user account(s) I am interested in. I do not migrate those system level accounts.

I then re-install Macports from scratch when moving to a new machine. I install the ports I actually want as I need them. So I would not use the migration instructions for this case. I also normally re-install all non-Macports applications on a new machine and do not try to migrate them.

Cheers!
Frank

Re: Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

Ryan Schmidt-24

> On Mar 2, 2017, at 08:52, [hidden email] wrote:
>

>> On Mar 1, 2017, at 5:26 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 1, 2017, at 4:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm just unclear why I'm the first to report this problem. Has nobody used migration assistant? Or has everybody just ended up with broken installations and either not realized or not bothered to report it?
>>
>> I have used migration assistant with the approach I mentioned, I migrated only my “home” account and followed the MacPorts migration instructions. If I ended up with broken ports I yet to notice. Perhaps we could register the accounts port creates along with file permissions and provide “fix permissions” functionality similar to Disk Utility.
>
> I have used the Migration Assistant many times. I too only ever migrate the real user account(s) I am interested in. I do not migrate those system level accounts.

I guess that answers one of my questions: By unchecking those checkboxes next to those accounts/directories, you're saying that neither the account nor its home directory get migrated?

Did you verify whether any of those accounts owned any other files -- logfiles, directories, for example -- and what happened to them after you reinstalled those ports on the new system, presumably resulting in those accounts now having different ids?

Re: Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

> On Mar 2, 2017, at 08:02, Rainer Müller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-03-02 00:34, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    I'm not talking about an unusual case. I'm talking about the
>>    completely normal case that I expect all users will undergo when
>>    moving to a new computer: complete the setup assistant and use it to
>>    transfer data from their old computer. If they accept the defaults
>>    of that operation, as I did, they are left in the situation I am now
>>    left in.
>>

>> But there's not a lot that MacPorts can do about Apple's defaults, and
>> after the fact it's a bit difficult to try to undo the damage it does.
>
> Of course we cannot change the Migration Assistant itself.
>
> However, this observation probably means we are not using the right
> naming convention or flags to exclude these accounts from a migration to
> a new machine...

My guess is that the migration assistant knows that user ids under 500 are system accounts and should not be presented. I don't know how it handles system accounts... (Whether it migrates or discards the contents of their home directories.)

Re: Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

mf2k

> On Mar 2, 2017, at 8:08 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I have used migration assistant with the approach I mentioned, I migrated only my “home” account and followed the MacPorts migration instructions. If I ended up with broken ports I yet to notice. Perhaps we could register the accounts port creates along with file permissions and provide “fix permissions” functionality similar to Disk Utility.
>>
>> I have used the Migration Assistant many times. I too only ever migrate the real user account(s) I am interested in. I do not migrate those system level accounts.
>
> I guess that answers one of my questions: By unchecking those checkboxes next to those accounts/directories, you're saying that neither the account nor its home directory get migrated?

Correct.

> Did you verify whether any of those accounts owned any other files -- logfiles, directories, for example -- and what happened to them after you reinstalled those ports on the new system, presumably resulting in those accounts now having different ids?

macOS has on the order of a million files on a computer. I can’t keep track of every single one, or even a small percentage of them.

So, I have never bothered to check. I don’t know a way to determine which files exist per user account anyway. I only ever migrate specific user folders, so I assume only those users' files get transferred. Since I reinstall Macports from scratch on new machines, I don’t want any of those other files anyway.

Cheers!
Frank