Mac port error

Simone Poli
dear mac port users, I’ve just installed mac port, but no commando can be executed on it, not even the sudo self update, no action is recognised:

MacBook-Pro-di-nicola-travaglia:/ SimonePoli$ port
MacPorts 2.4.1
Entering shell mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
[/] > sudo
Error: Unrecognized action "port sudo"
[/] >

I would like to ask also if the mac port platform could be used as a virtual computer with the Lnux shell on it.

thanks for the attention,

Best regards,

Simone

Re: Mac port error

Lenore Horner-2

On Jun 22, 2017, at 12:13, Simone Poli <[hidden email]> wrote:

dear mac port users, I’ve just installed mac port, but no commando can be executed on it, not even the sudo self update, no action is recognised:

MacBook-Pro-di-nicola-travaglia:/ SimonePoli$ port
MacPorts 2.4.1
Entering shell mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
[/] > sudo
Error: Unrecognized action "port sudo"
[/] >

I would like to ask also if the mac port platform could be used as a virtual computer with the Lnux shell on it.

thanks for the attention,

Best regards,

Simone
I’ve not tried using just port and then issuing commands.  I usually do things in one line
sudo port selfupdate
for instance.  I think you could do
sudo port
and then issue commands from within MacPorts as you are trying to do.
Lenore

Re: Mac port error

Craig Treleaven
On Jun 22, 2017, at 12:13 PM, Simone Poli <[hidden email]> wrote:

dear mac port users, I’ve just installed mac port, but no commando can be executed on it, not even the sudo self update, no action is recognised:

MacBook-Pro-di-nicola-travaglia:/ SimonePoli$ port
MacPorts 2.4.1
Entering shell mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
[/] > sudo
Error: Unrecognized action "port sudo"
[/] >

Hi Simone:

Looks like you just need to enter your command on a single line in the Terminal.  Try:

sudo port selfupdate

Copy, then paste all three words into the Terminal and finally press Return.  You will then be prompted to enter your password.  Enter your admin password; the same password that you used to install the MacPorts software.   You should then see some messages printed that describe the various steps that the ‘selfupdate’ command goes through.  Some of the steps may take a minute or two to finish.  If all goes well, the command prompt in Terminal will be printed and will wait for you to enter the next command.

Official documentation is at:

I would like to ask also if the mac port platform could be used as a virtual computer with the Lnux shell on it.

I’m not sure what you mean by this.  MacPorts makes several thousand software packages ("ports”) available on Mac OS X  Most of them were developed on the Linux operating system.  OS X is derived from unix, as is Linux, and therefore the operating systems share a fair bit in common.

If you could tell us more specifically what you want to do, perhaps we could suggest particular ports to install.

Craig
db

Re: Mac port error

db
> I would like to ask also if the mac port platform could be used as a virtual computer with the Lnux shell on it.

If I guess what you mean — use xhyve (http://www.pagetable.com/?p=831) or qemu.

Re: Mac port error

On Jun 22, 2017, at 11:13, Simone Poli wrote:

dear mac port users, I’ve just installed mac port, but no commando can be executed on it, not even the sudo self update, no action is recognised:

MacBook-Pro-di-nicola-travaglia:/ SimonePoli$ port
MacPorts 2.4.1
Entering shell mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)

By typing just "port", you've entered the MacPorts shell mode. In this mode, you can type MacPorts commands without needing to type "port" in front of each command. I seldom use this mode and would guess most people don't use it much either.

[/] > sudo
Error: Unrecognized action "port sudo"
[/] >

"sudo" isn't a MacPorts shell command. It's a regular shell command.

To exit MacPorts shell mode, type "quit".