LICENSE for macports-ports

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

LICENSE for macports-ports

Zero King-2
Hi,

I submmitted a PR to macports-ports adding a LICENSE file
(https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/287). Please review.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LICENSE for macports-ports

pvr4me
> On Apr 19, 2017, at 6:58 AM, Zero King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I submmitted a PR to macports-ports adding a LICENSE file
> (https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/287). Please review.

(This is try #3 to send this message.)

Also, neither the -base or -ports reposititories [1] have a README at the top level.  Having such would be a little friendlier for casual visitors.

For -base, I think the first portion of the Introduction would be a good start for a README:

https://guide.macports.org/#introduction

I haven’t found anything pre-written that would be appropriate for the -ports repo.

Craig

[1] -
https://github.com/macports/macports-base
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

macports-ports/Readme.md (was Re: LICENSE for macports-ports)

Craig Treleaven
> On Apr 19, 2017, at 8:50 PM, Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 19, 2017, at 6:58 AM, Zero King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I submmitted a PR to macports-ports adding a LICENSE file
>> (https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/287). Please review.
>
> Also, neither the -base or -ports reposititories [1] have a README at the top level.  Having such would be a little friendlier for casual visitors.
> …

I’ve drafted a Readme.md for macports-ports.

If I commit it, will it cause any problems for the buildbots?

My proposed text is simply:

==========
## MacPorts Ports
This repository contains the source definitions for the open source software packages offered through MacPorts.

### What software is available?
See: <https://www.macports.org/ports.php>
Or: `port search <somename>`

### How do I install a port?
Install MacPorts: <https://www.macports.org/install.php>
In Terminal, enter `sudo port install <someport>`

### Problems?
Try `sudo port diagnose`
Get further help on our mailing list or via IRC: <https://www.macports.org/contact.php>

### Documentation
See `man port`
Official documentation:  <https://guide.macports.org>

==========

Craig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: macports-ports/Readme.md (was Re: LICENSE for macports-ports)

Mojca Miklavec-2
On 17 May 2017 at 15:33, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>
> I’ve drafted a Readme.md for macports-ports.
>
> If I commit it, will it cause any problems for the buildbots?

Hopefully not (if it would cause problems, it would cause problems on
each MacPorts installation :), but it would make sense to create a
Pull request for something like that, just in case others have
something to add.

Mojca
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: macports-ports/Readme.md (was Re: LICENSE for macports-ports)

Craig Treleaven
> On May 17, 2017, at 9:41 AM, Mojca Miklavec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 17 May 2017 at 15:33, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>
>> I’ve drafted a Readme.md for macports-ports.
>>
>> If I commit it, will it cause any problems for the buildbots?
>
> Hopefully not (if it would cause problems, it would cause problems on
> each MacPorts installation :), but it would make sense to create a
> Pull request for something like that, just in case others have
> something to add.

Unfortunately my knowledge of the pull request process is…lacking.  ;)

I’m going to commit and if anybody has concerns, I won’t be offended if it is modified or reverted.

Craig

Loading...