Is Macports down?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Is Macports down?

Dave Horsfall
ozzie:~ [16]# port -v selfupdate  
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-51/rsync/clientserver.c(106) [receiver=2.6.9]
Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/base.tar/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs
Exit code: 10

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Daniel J. Luke
On Mar 6, 2017, at 4:08 PM, Dave Horsfall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ozzie:~ [16]# port -v selfupdate  
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-51/rsync/clientserver.c(106) [receiver=2.6.9]
> Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/base.tar/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs
> Exit code: 10

it's working for me right now.

--
Daniel J. Luke



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Dave Horsfall
On Mon, 6 Mar 2017, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> it's working for me right now.

Hmmm...  Still busted here (Australia) so it's either regional or local.

Any other Aussies on the list?

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Dave Horsfall
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Peter West wrote:

> Just did a selfupdate.  9:30am AEST.

Thanks; that nails it to my back yard, then :-(

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Ian Wadham
In reply to this post by Dave Horsfall
On 07/03/2017, at 10:07 AM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2017, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> it's working for me right now.
>
> Hmmm...  Still busted here (Australia) so it's either regional or local.
>
> Any other Aussies on the list?

Seems to be working for me --- in Melbourne.
Ian W.

Tara:~>sudo port selfupdate
Password:
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
MacPorts base version 2.3.4 installed,
MacPorts base version 2.4.1 downloaded.
--->  Updating the ports tree
--->  MacPorts base is outdated, installing new version 2.4.1
Installing new MacPorts release in /opt/local as root:admin; permissions 0775

The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should run
  port upgrade outdated

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Ryan Schmidt-24
In reply to this post by Dave Horsfall

On Mar 6, 2017, at 17:07, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Hmmm...  Still busted here (Australia) so it's either regional or local.

In Australia you should be using your local Australian mirror (aarnet) anyway for better performance:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

hbsimon

> On 7 Mar 2017, at 14:32, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> On Mar 6, 2017, at 17:07, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>
>> Hmmm...  Still busted here (Australia) so it's either regional or local.
>
> In Australia you should be using your local Australian mirror (aarnet) anyway for better performance:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors
>
I am using it in Melbourne/Australia and have no problems
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Dave Horsfall
In reply to this post by Dave Horsfall
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Thanks; that nails it to my back yard, then :-(

A posting on an unrelated subject reminded me about something: I recently
upgraded my broadband service from ADSL (copper) to fibre, and a new
router was supplied.  I've since discovered that the router (a Sagemcomm
F@st 5355), get this, *does not pass outbound UDP packets*!  (And I cannot
configure its firewall to do so.)  So things like NTP and TRACEROUTE etc
are stuffed...

So, my question is: is UDP used anywhere in the update process?

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Daniel J. Luke
On Mar 7, 2017, at 10:55 AM, Dave Horsfall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> A posting on an unrelated subject reminded me about something: I recently
> upgraded my broadband service from ADSL (copper) to fibre, and a new
> router was supplied.  I've since discovered that the router (a Sagemcomm
> F@st 5355), get this, *does not pass outbound UDP packets*!  (And I cannot
> configure its firewall to do so.)  So things like NTP and TRACEROUTE etc
> are stuffed...

DNS uses udp (and some tcp). I'd be really surprised if it blocked /all/ udp packets (and if so, I would get my provider to replace it or let me replace it with something that didn't suck).

> So, my question is: is UDP used anywhere in the update process?

The rsync itself uses tcp

--
Daniel J. Luke



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Dave Horsfall
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> DNS uses udp (and some tcp). I'd be really surprised if it blocked /all/
> udp packets (and if so, I would get my provider to replace it or let me
> replace it with something that didn't suck).

To clarify: DNS works OK, but nothing else on UDP does.  I added a rule
that's supposed to allow all outbound UDP, but nope.  And yes, a router of
a different brand is on its way...  This Sagemcom 5355 seems to be
designed for the gamer brigade.

> > So, my question is: is UDP used anywhere in the update process?
>
> The rsync itself uses tcp

Thanks.

Anyway, this is getting OT now, so thanks to all for your assistance;
MacPorts is OK after all, and the problem is definitely local.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Brandon Allbery
In reply to this post by Daniel J. Luke

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Daniel J. Luke <[hidden email]> wrote:
DNS uses udp (and some tcp). I'd be really surprised if it blocked /all/ udp packets (and if so, I would get my provider to replace it or let me replace it with something that didn't suck).

Usuually this is trying to force you to use the provider's DNS. That said, video and most audio streaming is UDP... are they trying to force you to pay more for those?

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
[hidden email]                                  [hidden email]
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Dave Horsfall
In reply to this post by Ryan Schmidt-24
On Mon, 6 Mar 2017, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> > Hmmm...  Still busted here (Australia) so it's either regional or
> > local.
>
> In Australia you should be using your local Australian mirror (aarnet)
> anyway for better performance:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors

Done...  As I've said before, I prefer to change as little as possible in
the Macports arena; the Mac pretends to be Unix, but Unix it ain't.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Ryan Schmidt-24


On Mar 8, 2017, at 10:20, Dave Horsfall wrote:

the Mac pretends to be Unix, but Unix it ain't.

Since words do still have meanings, I have to point out that macOS is a certified POSIX-compliant UNIX OS. 



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is Macports down?

Dave Horsfall
In reply to this post by Brandon Allbery
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Brandon Allbery wrote:

>       DNS uses udp (and some tcp). I'd be really surprised if it blocked
>       /all/ udp packets (and if so, I would get my provider to replace
>       it or let me replace it with something that didn't suck).
>
> Usuually this is trying to force you to use the provider's DNS. That
> said, video and most audio streaming is UDP... are they trying to force
> you to pay more for those?

Dunno; the old router works (it passes all UDP) but does not show me the
connecting IP address, making my spam filtering useless.

Anyway a new router should be arriving today; at least I know that it
isn't Macports at fault (and yes, I am using the AU site; somebody
queried that).

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
Loading...